Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This isn't earth shaking news, but it sure helped me out of a jam!!

Was removing my Bug Screen today, and when I started to reinstall one of the side mount bolts (headlight), I discovered the starter thread (female nut plate) was folded over. I screwed with it for 30 minutes, and then remembered an old trick I had used on T-38 aircraft, when I worked on them at Randolph AFB ... as long as you have clearance, this will work for most threads, unless you have totally destroyed the first few threads.

Marked good side with masking tape, for beam alignment after reinstall, removed remaining bolt, and chrome ring (around sealed beam), (light assembly is now hanging by wires) installed bolt into damaged nut plate from the inside of the headlight shell, and slowly turned the bolt into it until a couple of the bolt threads were extending through the other side of nut plate. Worked it in & out a few times to restore the threads, and reinstalled everything. Went together real easy. Didn't have to go buy a metric tap!



If the nut plate has tapered threads, you will loose some of the locking features of the taper, but normally it all comes out fine.:)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
excellent

That is a great idea and I will try it tonight. I was adding an accessory metal headlamp mesh screen that is held in place by arms bolted via the headlight bolts. One went back fine, one wouldn't go back. Grease didn't improve it, maybe this will.

Thanks-
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top