Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I read on here somewhere that someone would like it if the bike mags did a test with the Striple R against the new Duc Monster 1100. Some people might say these two bikes are not in the same catagory and not a fair comparison but I think it is, they have similar power and would be purchased by people looking for similar uses to their motorcycles. Anyways I myself in search for a new bike narrowed it down to these particular two. I wanted a naked bike that would be good round town for commuting but would also do highway work if I needed to. I wanted something a little different too, not one of your run of the mill Jap 4s. So yesterday i went to the dealers and rode them both back to back.

I had previously rode the striple about a month ago and loved it then but wanted to try the Duc because i love the way the new ones look. So i took the Duc out first and was very impressed by it. It feels like a lot more power than 95hp, lots of torque and a lovely sound. It burbles nicely on the over-run too. It was a typical twin tho and didn't want to pull cleanly from low rpm, not to say it wouldn't it just wasn't smooth and a lower gear would be the way to go. Very comfy seat just the bars were a little forward for me, (i'm only 5'2"). Easy enough to ride but the steering wasn't very neutral, it wanted to turn very qickly which can be unnerving. I didn't get to ride on many twisty roads which was a shame but it handled the highway fine.

Then next door to the Triumph dealer, they have a demo with the 3-1 Arrow on which I have to say sounded to absolute nuts. I immediately felt more at home on the Striple, this may just be my size tho, and was enjoying it from the off. Smooth power from low RPM, very nimble handling and oh the brakes. Amazing. It feels like riding my old KTM motard with twice the HP. Obviously I don't need to tell you how the Striple rides and handles, you already know.

Suffice to say i was sold and the Duc was a distant memory in moments, i've not signed on the dotted yet but they have two grey Rs in stock and one has my name on it.

I hope you peeps find my experience useful, of course this is just my humble opinion and i don't profess to be any great shakes on a bike. I'm just a rider in the real world sharing my opinion.

Enjoy, I will be soon.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
>>> they have similar power and would be purchased by people looking for similar uses to their motorcycles. >>>

They would? How do you figure?

I would be tempted to kid you about having confused this with the Speed Triple forum. :D The torque is more similar to the S3 than the St3, although the Duc is indeed closer to the Street's weight than the Speedy's.

But look at the riding position of the Monster. I can't imagine that's very conducive to the same uses I have for my Street. Also look at the price difference! I'd be half fearful of taking that much money out on the road at all. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I absolutely love the St3r, however I would NEVER compare its power to that of the M1100. Having ridden these back to back before (I work at a ducati/triumph dealer) the ST3r is definitely the more comfortable and easier to ride of the two. Its power is extremely linear and it makes a great pull to redline. However, the M1100 is completely different. It makes what feels like double the torque and is somewhat bucky/jerky when on/off throttle. The SpeedTriple is def a much closer rival to the M1100. Even with that being said, Id prefer the speed3, but the m1100 is in a diff league as far as power/weight ratio is concerned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough, as i said its just my personal opinion of the two bikes. I narrowed my search of a new bike down to the two and wanted to test them back to back, and as this is a public forum i felt that someone on here may be in a similar quandry and might find my post useful.

And no i defitely havn't got my Triumphs mixed up and meant the Speed triple, i think the Speed is a MUCH better bike than the Duc, just not for me as its too tall and too long.

I only posted as I was suprised how much better a bike I felt the Triumph was than the Duc for its price tag and its name.

Just for thought which (if any) Ducati would you put in comparison to the Striple? The Monster 696? Surely not?

And just to clear up, although i rode the Monster S it would be the standard 1100 i would of been buying.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with the OP on that one. I also looked at the Ducati 696 and it had no where near the power of the ST, the only one that is similar is the 1100 and it has less horsepower than the ST and similar weight with more torque. It's closer to the Speed Triple in some areas such as greater torque and more like an ST in others with similar weight and power.

The ST is one of those bikes that you just get on and ride, it's forgiving of wrong gears which the Ducati certainly isn't. Infact I made the mistake of trickling passed traffic for several minutes at walking pace until I was forced to stop. I tried pulling away and stalled it.......I was in 6th !! Didn't even notice, the bike showed no signs of complaining at speeds of less than 5 mph !! Couldn't do that on a Ducati.......not sure what would actually manage that and can't quite believe the fuelling on the ST was capable. It was slightly down hill with the clutch in and out, but still.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I also agree on those same points, and see where hebs is coming from. It's just an odd thought that with the Ducati, you have to go to a Monster 1100 to find one that is comparable in those same areas... and boy, what a price difference. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... and boy, what a price difference. :)
It was the price difference that got me also, i can see where trhe money is on the Duc tho it has very quality parts where as the Striple in some areas looks a little budget.

I was willing to pay the $20,000 AUD for the Duc if it was all that I wanted in a bike but after riding the Triumph I realised it wasn't. So now I'm paying $15000 AUD for a bike and i've got $5000 to pimp it up. :D

I know where your coming from saying they're not in the same league but as I said my post was just my personal opinion on the two and were the only two bikes I was seriously considering buying. I reckon the Monster would of stayed pretty standard tho as i couldn't afford to put any bits on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fair enough, as i said its just my personal opinion of the two bikes. I narrowed my search of a new bike down to the two and wanted to test them back to back...
It is entirely your opinion bro, nothing wrong with that. I was just kind of shell shocked at how far off our views were on which bikes were comparable to what. To me the 696 is the obvious competition for the ST3. Sure it doesnt have the HP, but it easily has the torque. It really just depends on how you prefer to ride your bikes. Hope you have fun with your new ST3 bro!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries, like you say its all just personal opinion. I just know that the Monster 696 with only 65hp (i think) wouldn't cut it for me in the long run. I understand it has lots of torque but if i want a bike with that little power i'd get a 690 KTM which is even lighter but less good on the highway.

I like that the Triumph is somewhere in between the torquey grunt of the Duc and the mad rush of the MV Brutale i had before (was forced to sell it). Of course if money was no object i'd of replaced it with the new 1078 Brutale, now theres a bike.

BTW its not bro, its sis. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well then we have a similar taste in bikes...Miss. I love the design of the Brutale from an aesthetic perspective, but would prefer something of a twin cylinder power curve in a streetfighter bike. Ducati's new streetfighter (which ironically looks similar to the brutale 1078) has def caught my eye with sinister looks and 1098cc Ltwin power...mmmm. As you said........if money was no object....

·
Registered
163 Posts
........if money was no object....
It isn't and I still have the ST despite the option of being able to have more or less what I like. There is a point when bikes go over 12K that I think it's a law of diminishing returns.

Brutale is beautiful, but the smaller engine was lacking and the bigger engine treads in Street Triple territory in terms of weight and power.

and the Triple is..........well, a Triple which is my favourite engine configuration next to a six and a twelve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well then we have a similar taste in bikes...Miss. I love the design of the Brutale from an aesthetic perspective, but would prefer something of a twin cylinder power curve in a streetfighter bike. Ducati's new streetfighter (which ironically looks similar to the brutale 1078) has def caught my eye with sinister looks and 1098cc Ltwin power...mmmm. As you said........if money was no object....
After reading a review on the 1078 Brutale I don't think you need the torque of a twin, apparently its insane. I'd love to own another....maybe one day, bit expensive here in Oz tho. Now strangely the looks of the new streetfighter don't do a lot for me, not sure why. I may change my mind when I see one in the metal tho.

I too like the V twin power, my boyfreind has an 03 Aprilia Tuono and its mental. I love riding it but its a bit too tall to be practical for me everyday.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was shopping for a fun bike and looked at the Duc 696 which is the same price as the ST3 and also the Monster 1100. So yeah they do appeal to the same guy at least in my case. I looked at the R also but was put off by the Arrow pipes @ $1500 CDN, sure they are wicked etc just didn't want to lay out the cash at time of purchase. I also couldn't get my head around the cheesy rattle can paint (sorry) too much like a Kawi. As far as bang for the buck goes the Triple can't be beat.:D I'm not going to track it so the R was a little overkill and I found the standard's suspension adequate for the street. I was concerned about that. Lot's cheaper than the 1100, cheaper on insurance too, bonus. Valve adjustment after 24 thou kms. is cool! The Monster 1100S I would compare to the Speed Triple but then again in Canada you have to shell out another 3 large...ouch, that choice I would find harder and would prob go with the Duc.:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fall into the category of cross shopping those two bike. I was looking at the 1100, the 1100S, the Speed Triple and the Street R. My wife has a 696, and I simply love that machine, so I figured the 1100 would be a good buy for me, but I have always had a sweet spot for the triples.
The Street R is ultimately what I went with, arrow slip-ons equipped, and love it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love the design of the Brutale from an aesthetic perspective, but would prefer something of a twin cylinder power curve in a streetfighter bike. Ducati's new streetfighter (which ironically looks similar to the brutale 1078) has def caught my eye ....
The torque curve on the new Brutale 1078 need to be seen to be believed. It is just a raging mad bull from off idle. It will yank the font up in 3rd from slow speed roll on. Way too much engine in that bike!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was comparing street r to speed to ducati 1100. i like the looks of the 1100 better but was more comfy on triumphs. I got the street r but wished i would have gotten speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I read on here somewhere that someone would like it if the bike mags did a test with the Striple R against the new Duc Monster 1100. {etc}
A great post thanks.

I just rode a 2005 Ducati Monster 800 and a Street Triple R back to back. The Ducati is definitely the better highway cruiser, better seat and approx 4000 rpm in 5th (top gear) Vs 5200 in top at 100kmh for the Street triple. Actuallly the Ducati is not smooth at low revs so it was actually nicer to sit in 4th gear but still doing much lower revs than street triple at 100ks.

Both had standard pipes but the Ducati is definitely the quieter (hardly any cam belt noise - none of the whir of the triumph but still a sweet exhaust sound).

However as the OP said the Triumph has a much smoother roll on.
Seating position very similar but I prefer the Triumphs marginally.

Decisions, decisions, decisions

·
Registered
67 Posts
The sound of the desmo is highly addictive but I am starting to acquire a taste for the triple. Once it gets on the pipe it has a niiiice sound, not the little sewing machine like when you first start her up:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts