Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in anyone with experience using the OEM tail tidy. I am a bit confused by the pictures. It is very long and unseemly in normal form. Is it possible to tidy up the tail tidy so to speak without modifying it. In many photos it is much shorter and I know the Thruxton version can be made shorter with no modifications according to a member here.

Here is the schematics, you can see it is very long.

...and on the bike long:

In many if not most photos it looks like this or similar though.

On the Thruxton you can just remove the guard and bolt up the plate holder, but looking at the schematics, I am not sure that is possible. I am guessing people are just re-drilling it, but wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been trying to figure out the same problem. A guy at the triumph dealer told me it was as simple as 4 screws but I've had a look & I'm not convinced. He also said you can find videos online but again I've had no joy. Have you made any progress?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've been trying to figure out the same problem. A guy at the triumph dealer told me it was as simple as 4 screws but I've had a look & I'm not convinced. He also said you can find videos online but again I've had no joy. Have you made any progress?
Yea I installed it. Triumph was fooling us with some of those early pics. They simply modified the tidy by drilling into the top part and sticking the plate frame higher up. It is not something that can be done without permanently altering the unit. I simply installed it properly but left off the license light that droops down so low. I also cut the ears off the plastic plate frame as it is made for larger Euro plates and installed a metal plate frame to it, this allowed me to mount it a bit higher. You could also ditch the included plate frame and simply install a new plate frame to the main part under the light like Triumph did in some of those reviewer photos. Just have to tinker with it. There is definitely more than one way to skin this cat if one desired. Here is mine:

I may end up just bolting the plate higher and ditching part #4 and then installing the plate light under the main structure, I have seen that done too.

I really like the R&G unit but hate the clear brake lens. If it wasn't for that, I would have gone with it. It is a cleaner design and one can still use the OEM or Triumph LEDs at the rear instead of shock mounted which I also don't like.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can't decide. The R&G unit looks really nice, but how are they asking so much for it? I also have a hard time justifying the expense of the Triumph kit just to throw out parts or drill new holes. I was hoping Motone would come out with a Street Twin version of theirs: http://motone.com/fender-elimination-kit-with-led-lucas-shape-tail-light/ but then you can't use the Triumph LED signals.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still not happy with it. I think I might cut the plastic off to right under the light and use two angle brackets to mount a plate holder right under the light. If done right, the plate should hide the cuts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is our tidy tail, shortened a few centimeters. Using a German it is not too long, our numberplates are just very large...

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is the smaller one. Last picture shows the bike with the pannier off.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
TEC over here in UK are developing a good looking tail tidy for the new year,can be seen on their test bike on website but alas no price yet

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put the finishing touches on my Street Twin's tail tidy this morning and thought I'd share some pics. All components were sourced separately and I'm sure it would've been easier (and cheaper) to get a kit, but it's exactly as I need it to be as I wanted to use the stock rear light.

Parts include:
- Arc-X lights
- British Legends plate holder
- CycleVisions plate frame
- Puig Plate Light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I appreciate that number plate lights are required in many countries, but there is a simple solution I have found. I bought cheap pair of small led lights that can used instead of bolts to fit your plate.

2 birds killed with one stone...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts