Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, pulled clutch in to downshift, and a bunch of the warning lights came on and the bike went to idle. It did not shut off. There was no reaction when the throttle was twisted. Now, I was low on fuel, but not empty. I was forced to idle it down the shoulder of the road a couple of miles to a gas station. I shut it off, then restarted. Same problem. So, I filled it up with fuel and restarted. It ran fine, although engine light is still on. after a half hour ride home.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it something the bike does when very low on fuel?

2017 Street Twin, 6000miles

·
Registered
2018 Street Twin
79 Posts
Check the wiring loom at the headstock where the clutch cable can rub against the loom and cause problems. There has been a recall to fit a different bracket for the clutch cable at the headstock. This is a known problem and can cause a few issues. As you are using fresh fuel, hopefully, it may just have been stale fuel in the fuel tank which needed replacing.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll check it, but I had that recall mod kit installed by a dealer about 1 year ago.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
If it hasn't happened since you filled up maybe it was just very low on fuel, best bet would be to check the code for the engine warning light.
Hold the i button down when you switch on the ignition and then release the button when DTC appears in the display, then you should get a 4-digit code Pxxxx.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not know that. I will try to get the code later today. Thanks. As far as being low on fuel, I thought the same thing, but let me clarify what happened: It was as if the throttle was disconnected. Twisting it had absolutely no effect on the bike's idle. It wasn't as if it was trying to add fuel and bogging. It was like the throttle was unplugged. Of course, it wasn't. I thought maybe it was a programmed safety so that you couldn't completely run out of fuel, but if no one knows anything about it, I'm thinking it's more of a malfunction.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. The code is P2138. I have a list of Triumph codes, but that's not on it. Who knows what this code means?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The P2138 OBD code indicates that the ECM has detected a malfunction with the throttle position sensor. This means there's a problem with the throttle body's ability to open and close properly. Makes sense, given the symptoms. It's dealer time.

·
Registered
2018 Triumph T120 Special Edition
872 Posts
If it is the TPS, have you ever sprayed the throttle body butterfly (ST has single TB?) with cleaner? Maybe they're sticking? I'd at least try to check the operation of the butterfly if you can. On my Tiger I can see them operate while twisting the grip. I am not a bike mechanic to qualify this.. just a wag.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The P2138 OBD code indicates that the ECM has detected a malfunction with the throttle position sensor. This means there's a problem with the throttle body's ability to open and close properly. Makes sense, given the symptoms. It's dealer time.
Are you sure, according to my list p2138 is twist grip position sensor 1 correlation error with twistgrip position sensor 2.
So that's the twist grip position sensor and not the throttle position sensor.
Twistgrip position sensor gives out two outputs for safety purposes and if they fail to match the engine will be shut down, could be a fault with the twist grip itself or a cable fault to the ECU, but as already stated probably best left to the dealer at this stage.

Reactions: jb44
1 - 9 of 9 Posts