Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Street Twin & Hello from Phoenix

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Stamper 
#1 ·
where it’s hotter today than a cool Triumph.

Am celebrating the 2 month anniversary of my 2020 (or 21) Street Twin. The model year is confusing (dealer and DMV insisted it was a 2021) and now I see the 21 models are being called the 2022. Weird but whatever. Bought it new because I could and it was in stock. It’s my second bike and I’m likewise celebrating 2k miles on it.

The picture shows my bike in absolute stock form with a color-clashing lid and a cup of Joe on the seat.

I know the Street Twin isn’t a tourer, per se, and I also live in the heart of the great metropolis with real city traffic (and all that entails). I really appreciate the Street Twin’s nimbleness. My plan is to mod it up modestly for long voyages along blue highways. There are plans for adventure afoot. Anyway, as they say, one mod at a time.

I’ve only been riding a short while, came to it late after raising three kids from a long history with cow horses, various tractors and trucks, city bicycle commuting in my vigorous college youth, and high performance automobiles (my late dad was an influential automotive engineer: story for another day). Aside from dirt bikes as kid, which doesn’t seem to count, my experience with motorbikes is very limited. Interestingly, or not, my experience with horses has probably best prepared me for the joys of motorcycling: balance, inputs and cues, as well as being in the weather. That said, I am very much a Beginner Mind, as in wide open, and which, really, I love. Everything is so New!

I recently finished my third training class, the one called Advanced, and will take the Total Control 1 as soon as it’s offered (the summer heat I think sort of shuts down class offerings here). In my first 9 months of riding I’ve got 6k miles and am hopeful for many, many more to come.

This forum has been so incredibly helpful to me—figuring out which second bike to select, and details about it, as well as general riding suggestions—and I wanted to say thanks to this community. So: hello to all, and Thank You!

Stamper

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. It is suitable for 400 mile, even 500 mile days!
1500 miles on the clock expected in first 3 weeks of ownership.
I am averaging 60+ MPG on my "2022"
The 2022" has another 10 mm of foam on the seat and I am grateful for that!
I talked with GO AZ in Scottsdale, before buying mine in Las Vegas, but they did not have a cobalt blue in stock.

Attached photo taken last week when high at Furnace Creek was under 100F.

Reactions: nheaney765
#4 ·
You may commute in the city, but to your north is the largest Pondersa Pine forrest in the world.
When I lived in Flag, mid-nineties, work took me from Flagstaff, to Payson, to Showlow and beyond...over 200 miles without leaving the forest...good memories.

Reactions: nheaney765
#8 ·
When did you leave Cottonwood?

#9 ·
Hey All,

I know those roads well! Though not yet on a Motorbike. I’m hopeful to travel those and many others in other states. One of my favorite places here is the Lake Mary road. Another is Jerome. There are cool things about this state despite the summer heat in the Valley. Those fires though, as you know—the smoke is in the air, and that crescent moon tonight hanging in the western sky is bright orange.

SportsterDoc, I’ve been reading about your Street Twin. Such a cool color! I have been paying attention to your luggage rack in particular.

I thought about waiting for the 22 model though I just didn’t want to wait having started so late already. I even checked places in LV and Southern Cal as I locked in. Because I’m new I don’t have a sense of seat comfort, so it is what it is, and I think I had a bit more room to move going with the 21, or the dealer did, during the big talk. I suppose the 22 seat is better, or Triumph wouldn’t have gone with it, though I sort of like the pseudo alcantara fabric stuff on the 21. Weird the things which float a boat. The 10 extra mil might have been better for me ergonomically, maybe, and that blue really, really is cool. I would have snagged it if I didn’t have to wait. I was at dealer yesterday to check on mod stuff and there wasn’t a Street Twin in sight. Anyway, I love my red bike, and that color red does go well with the nameplate: Triumph, that Roman parade of victory, in Roman Red, or whatever they call it! Korosi?

Nheany765, yes, loose hands! Body weight and shifting that weight in synch. And the seemingly counter-intuitive cues: prompting a horse to take its lead, countersteering, the role of the knees. It’s so interesting to me these similarities. Obviously I’m still learning as I go, and it’s a gas. Are you in Southern or Northern CA?

Have you seen that cool photo of John Wayne, he must been in his sixties by then, on a Honda while shooting The Alamo?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

#10 ·
Hello Stamper! Thank you for introducing yourself. We’re really glad you joined! Your Street Twin looks great and I'm looking forward to learning more about you and your bike(s).

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and talk with a great bunch of riders about Triumph bikes. Everyone here is very willing to help with questions or problems with your bike(s). I have personally saved lots of time and money thanks to the skilled help I have received from members.

Please post your questions in the sections related to your bike’s model. Most of the time you will get quick, informed responses.

As you cruise around the many different sections of this site you will find a wealth of information. There are technical sections for every Triumph model and chat sections for the same. Also, we have a classifieds section that is well worth checking out. (NOTE: You need to make at least five posts before you can post to Classifieds.)

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Read first before trying to post. Classified Ad Rules - Accessing Our Classifieds

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in. Biker Hang-Out

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

Here are the governing rules of the site and what can and cannot be done here. Acceptable Use Policy - Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining Triumph Rat!

I wish you safe, fun riding!

#17 ·
Are there any dairy herds left in Gilbert?
Youngest daughter lived there about 15-16 years ago and they were starting to move.

#19 ·
I don't mind the smell. My dad was a commercial/industrial electrical contractor and worked for almost all the dairies in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. I started going on service calls with him when I was about 12. Very good memories.

Reactions: rule62
#21 ·
I wish I lived in Napa Valley. I’ve spent some time around Santa Cruz. And LA. CA just astounds me. From Steinbeck’s Cannery Row, those descriptions he wrote in the 1930s, to Silicon Valley. Jim Bronsen (aka Michael Parks) tooling around Big Sur on NBC in the late 1960s was my boyhood hero. I so wanted to be that guy when I was a little kid. I still think of CA that way.

Rule62, it’s was 118 yesterday! Are you able to ride? I’ve been doing short very early morning rides landing at my coffee shop by 8. By 9 am with this heat wave I’m like ugh.

SportsterDoc, I heard Vegas was around 117 too, yeah?

As the hippies I wanted to grow up to be said, Stay Cool—

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.