Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone (dealers aside) been able to remove the headlight bracket on the ST with any kind of ease? I haven't tinkered with it yet, but I'm hoping it'll be kind of easy, I want to paint that thing black asap.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I painted the bezel on the light and speedometer and realized that thing needs painting too... I'm not into a black out style, so I am thinking more of a deep bronze color... haven't looked into removing that bracket yet.

I believe Mototrio.com makes light brackets, but the front forks need to be removed.. not that big of a deal if you have a lift.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that. I'd rather not spend the money on some new brackets if I can just get that painted. I have the Dart Flyscreen coming sometime this week or next and it looks like it fits specifically with that bracket, I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the tutorials from the ManCave, I'm going to follow those to a T so I don't mess anything up, it's the headlight bracket that I'm itching to paint black too, maybe a closer inspection will lead me to an easy solution.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I did the man cave bezel and speedo paint.. It took 3 different paints to get one that matches "somewhat" close... next time I would use satin instead of flat on the light and speedometer because the flats were too flat, and if I lay the paint on heavy, it looks grey, If I lay it on medium or light, it is too rough.

I didn't use Satin, and my paint job is not really satisfactory in my opinion.

Going to give this a try-

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to go with satin or even a gloss. I like the variation of the matte and gloss together so I think it might work. Once I've got it all done and back together I'll post some photos.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Man, that sure does look better black, sort of disappears into the front of the bike. Kinda stinks you need to remove the top triple. I'd probably just get it powder coated, a piece that small shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Mancave video mentions that they may be pried out, and I thought I'd post to confirm. I have to wrench in my driveway(no garage) and have no stands yet for Emma, so loosening her top clamp wasn't an option for me. However, shop towels and a pry bar worked easier than expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might consider doing this in the near future. I kind of like the way the silver breaks up all the black a bit, I'm torn. Bike is currently in the shop due to an oil leak though, I'll hear back tomorrow on the verdict.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried to pry these out without loosening and raising the triple tree, but could not do it for some reason. Pried like heck, didn't want to permanently bend them. Ended up take the tree off and wasn't too bad. Will be painting tonight. I have a Rustoleum Satin Black spray can to give it a go. I think I also might paint the black back of the speedo, and maybe the headlight housing so they match these once-silver parts I'm now painting satin black. Even though they are black plastic, the sheen will be different from the satin paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts