Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a thread about the T120 hard starting, But, I have noticed a couple times that my Street Twin has been tough to start a couple of times, as in, I needed to throttle to start and to be kept running, It will immediately stall without throttling.

I first thought, I didn't have the sequencing down right, so for the past couple weeks I repeated what seems to work (turn key wait on electronics boot, wait for fuel pump) and have no issues what so ever starting...

But today "this is the third time it has happened" I turned the key and a long noticeably long "squeal" You probably could have heard the squeal from 10 meters away and lasted 10 seconds, the sound came from the right side, I think may be the fuel pump.

... What I did notice- It seems to happen at work where the bike sits in full sun on the right side for about 3 hours and it is hot from the sun when I sit on the bike, I live in Florida and average temp runs 90 F.
I am wondering if the heat is pressurizing the fuel tank and causing issues with the fuel pump? .. that is the only thing I can figure could be the problem.

I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow for 1st service. I normally do my own service but it will be a good time to try and iron this out.

Next time I will have my phone ready to film it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I am wondering if the heat is pressurizing the fuel tank and causing issues with the fuel pump? .. that is the only thing I can figure could be the problem.
When I picked up my bike last weekend my sales guy discussed something that sounds like this. He said it can happen particularly with a sun-heated full tank. He said that if the bike doesn't start or starts with difficulty, to remove and reinstall the fuel cap to release trapped pressure. I've had no problems but will be remembering this little trick, just in case.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I picked up my bike last weekend my sales guy discussed something that sounds like this. He said it can happen particularly with a sun-heated full tank. He said that if the bike doesn't start or starts with difficulty, to remove and reinstall the fuel cap to release trapped pressure. I've had no problems but will be remembering this little trick, just in case.
I will certainly give that a try... I will talk to the service guy about it tomorrow also.

If I get any more info on this situation, I will post it.

I was kind of hoping someone else would pipe in if they have had any issues of this nature.

·
Registered
173 Posts
... What I did notice- It seems to happen at work where the bike sits in full sun on the right side for about 3 hours and it is hot from the sun when I sit on the bike, I live in Florida and average temp runs 90 F.
I live in Seattle so sun and 90 degrees usually never enters the picture. :snork

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine does this every morning, just a couple blips of the throttle and it's fine but still probably shouldn't do that. Next time it's at the shop I'll ask them about it, but I'm not terribly concerned since that's the only issue.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine does this every morning, just a couple blips of the throttle and it's fine but still probably shouldn't do that. Next time it's at the shop I'll ask them about it, but I'm not terribly concerned since that's the only issue.
I need to keep the rev's elevated during take off, and ride through a couple gear shifts before my issue settles, it takes about 4 blocks of riding before she starts smoothing out.

All the other times, it starts perfect.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
Yep, my same experience twice on a very hot day.

I have also learned to hold down the starter button a little longer when I first start it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I need to keep the rev's elevated during take off, and ride through a couple gear shifts before my issue settles, it takes about 4 blocks of riding before she starts smoothing out.

All the other times, it starts perfect.
Oh yeah, that would warrant a visit to the shop, definitely. Mine works itself out before I take off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I went to the dealer today and spoke with a very enthusiastic mechanic... he really loves his job.
He was concerned and started looking for a kink in the vent line, non were found, I will be working again tomorrow so I'll get another chance for a hard start... This time my video on the phone will be ready.

just for grins... look what I found at the dealer today... And the profile is nearly perfect! He said they have been laying around in his display case since in 2000.
AND... there is one more set left in the display case
... Just got to find a way to mount them... They are meant to be screwed on... Oh I WILL find a way.

Attachments

Reactions: wmharper

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great find! those Vintage tank badges look great

·
Registered
93 Posts
3M makes double sided Automotive trim and emblem tape. Pretty sure thats what is used on the tank knee pads from triumph as well.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
3M makes double sided Automotive trim and emblem tape. Pretty sure thats what is used on the tank knee pads from triumph as well.
Yes 3M trim tape works great!

Attachments

Reactions: wmharper

·
Registered
93 Posts
That looks fantastic!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you

·
Registered
259 Posts
Use some automotive quality badge mounting tape. 3M or similar acrylic, not a double sided PE or urethane. Remember to use something to remove the polish wax off the paint first. Then put dummy screw heads into the existing holes.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use some automotive quality badge mounting tape. 3M or similar acrylic, not a double sided PE or urethane. Remember to use something to remove the polish wax off the paint first. Then put dummy screw heads into the existing holes.
That is exactly what I did... Great minds think alike.
I used stainless steel screw heads to epoxy in the holes... wish I would have waited to see if I could find some brass screws to put in the holes for a little bit of that steam punk look.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was talking to a ST owner at the dealership the other day and he was there because he was having problems with starting.

What he was told was that the ECU has a learning cycle that it goes through to optimize operation. He was told to to start the bike and then let it idle for 20 minutes, which is enough time for the ECU to execute its learning cycle. The mechanic also recommended doing this again if going to a significantly higher altitude.

Could be complete BS, but might be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I was talking to a ST owner at the dealership the other day and he was there because he was having problems with starting.

What he was told was that the ECU has a learning cycle that it goes through to optimize operation. He was told to to start the bike and then let it idle for 20 minutes, which is enough time for the ECU to execute its learning cycle. The mechanic also recommended doing this again if going to a significantly higher altitude.

Could be complete BS, but might be worth a try.

Sounds like the 12 minute tune on my Rocket, I thought that reset everything to start the learning process again from a clean memory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts