Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the front mudguard today and found the support (picture attached) underneath.

Proceed to remove the front wheel and started to unscrew that fork brace. It was super tighten but when finally did it I could turn to fork legs freely... Very scary moment, I putted back the fork brace, wheel and test everything was working properly.

Is that movement normal? It's possible to remove this brace without risk? I'm concern I may have stability issues by doing that.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's not much of a brace. You probably won't notice much difference, unless you are doing a lot of turning over rough surfaces.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Not the same bike, but my '04 Thruxton benefited from adding a fork brace to supplement the flimsy factory brace/fender mount. Depends how you ride. In my case, the brace eliminated the wobble I was getting in higher speed corners/sweepers...

YMMV,

--Rich

·
Registered
T100R Daytona 1971 & Tiger 850 Sport
306 Posts
Yes its important and should not be removed. Not all structurally important elements in a design need to be massive casting with inherent stiffness. The lower fork legs, axle and top bridge piece form a rectangular structure when bolted up and this holds the front wheel in place. Take out the top bridge and you can imagine how little rigidity remains. With only one disk for the front brake it becomes even more critical that the forks resist twisting under brake reaction forces. Make sure that you follow proper procedure to align the fork legs before fully tightening the axle clamps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my research and looks like this part isn't really a brace. Looking at this custom builds doesn't seems like needed neither... I may take the risk to ride without front fender now that looks like summer is back in town :) The ST looks way much better without it!

Quite like the design of the BC:

Also I have planed to upgrade the fork in some point:
https://www.ohlins.com/product/universal-conventional-43/

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
I did my research and looks like this part isn't really a brace. Looking at this custom builds doesn't seems like needed neither... I may take the risk to ride without front fender now that looks like summer is back in town :) The ST looks way much better without it!
Before you decide to take this course of action please do a simple test for me.

1. Stand in front of your bike after you have removed the brace and stand facing the rear with the wheel held as firmly as possible between your knees/legs and see if you can get any twisting from the front end using the handlebars as levers. You may be pleasantly surprised as it all seems really stable, I was....... Well pleased with myself :smile2:

2. Now do the same test only this time apply the front brake. :surprise:

At this point my bottle went and the 'brace' was rather swiftly replaced.......

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Looking at this custom builds doesn't seems like needed neither...
Careful, some "custom builds" are made for show only and never turn a wheel in anger or are bought by hipsters and kept in the garage to impress their air-headed girlfriends. They can also be simply an artist's Photoshop job, like your third photo...:)

As for the orange bike in the second photo, I wouldn't fancy riding on a wet road with those tractor tyres...

One example was the custom Scrambler made by Jack Pine AKA James Hammarhead that was shown without a head steady bracket. No idea how it got on though, he did a runner with people's deposits and was never heard of again...:), looked good, but without the head steady it would shake itself to bits in no time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe just have the mud guard trimmed down to a more appealing length and finish and reinstall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts