Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan to buy a Street Twin as a first bike and mostly for city commuting(which I think this bike nails) but also want to be able to cruise on the highway in weekends. My main concern is about the bike's highway capabilities. I live in Yerevan, Armenia and in our country highway speed is limited to 90 kph (~55 mph). I read some discussions that at higher speeds like 75 to 80 mph it lacks 6th gear and revs a bit high like around 4000 rpm and maybe T120 or Speed Twin can be a better choice. I'm neither into the aggressive riding style nor plan to hit some crazy speeds on the highway. So considering that highway cruising is limited to 55mph is Street Twin a reasonable choice? Thanks in advance.))

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Street Twin is not powerhouse of a bike but cruising on the highway at 55 to 60 mph is actually its sweet spot. The engine thrums nicely at that speed and is not overly taxed. It’s fine at even 70 mph.
So I suppose at 55-60mph even passing some cars should not be a problem. I mean can the bike handle it without screaming?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I suppose at 55-60mph even passing some cars should not be a problem. I mean can the bike handle it without screaming?
Other owners of the 900cc engine can chime in but even at 75mph, you have plenty in reserve for passing maneuvers. And I have the 2016 model. Just have the expectation that it’s not a blazing fast bike that’ll compete with super sports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other owners of the 900cc engine can chime in but even at 75mph, you have plenty in reserve for passing maneuvers. And I have the 2016 model. Just have the expectation that it’s not a blazing fast bike that’ll compete with super sports.
Massive help. Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
480 Posts
I'm riding a late model Street Scrambler with essentially the same engine as the Street Twin and have no problems with power, throttle response, or passing in top gear on the US Interstates with speed limits up to 75 MPH.

Way more fun on the back roads though...

·
Registered
225 Posts
........ So considering that highway cruising is limited to 55mph is Street Twin a reasonable choice?
If you are limited to 55 mph the Street Twin is fine.

Mounting a 39 tooth sprocket on the rear will make it even more pleasant to ride.

And at 55 mph the T-120 will never need to get in 6th gear . It is geared really high.

jb

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,661 Posts
If people actually drive around 55-60, you'll be fine.

And making a bike scream every now and then is a good thing. Every bike can be revved close to redline now and then.

·
Registered
2019 T100
147 Posts
I have a T100 and use it similar to what you describe. I think it handles it perfectly fine. If highway was your primary use I'd probably go a different route, but my use is mostly commuting, much of which is on a 50mph road (which i run in 4th gear). I also run at 70 on the highway and it's perfectly content with that too. It's no speed demon, but it'll go more than fast enough to get you in trouble. Unless you're an overly large person or ride 2 up often I think you'll be perfectly happy with the 900. I love mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If people actually drive around 55-60, you'll be fine.

And making a bike scream every now and then is a good thing. Every bike can be revved close to redline now and then.
Sometimes I would want to ride for 3-4 hours on the highway at 55-60mph and
a) I don't want to have the bike at its absolute peak(This I think is not a big deal for StreetTwin)
b) Won't the engine sound be annoying to ride for 4 hours, let's say, at 55mph revving 4000rpm?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I put a 39t sprocket on my bike ages ago, and love it. The stock 41t is fine, but I think that the smaller sprinkler gives each gear more time in torque and highway cruising Is a little lower rpms.

Gearing Commander - Motorcycle Speed and Drive Train Calculator v7 can show you the changes, I’ll attest that I love my 39. Iirc I took a link out and the adjusters sit more in the middle as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As stated many times above, the kind of highway riding you describe is well within the Street twin's sweet spot, and even more so the "facelift" model. It sounds like a good choice of bike for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have taken the Street Twin (2017) form London to the South of France for the last two years. Some autoroute along the way running about 75mph. I have fit a screen which makes this much better. I fit this one:

Triumph Street Twin - Classic

Here is a pic of the bike with the screen (and all the camping gear...)
Will the DartFly Piranha Screen provide good wind protection at 60mph or i should get the classic one?

·
Banned
480 Posts
Will the DartFly Piranha Screen provide good wind protection at 60mph or i should get the classic one?
I have the Triumph fly screen and it helps a bit at highway speeds. I chose that cause riding bikes with larger screens the crosswinds steered the bike more than I did... and I liked the look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the Street Twin does well on the highway power-wise. I rode about 70-75mph on the highway for a good 30 minutes. There was a pretty strong head wind that day, and it got pretty tiring. I'm waiting for my screen to arrive to hopefully take some load off my chest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2017 street twin and while I rarely ride over 75 for a long period of time, I can easily pass cars on the freeway at that speed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I currently have both bikes. My first bike, the Street Twin, is a really fun bike well suited for two to five hour rides on two lane country roads. It’s small and flickable. Personally I found the Street Twin a little lacking on the highway, not so much in power, but more in stability and comfort. Highways are more wide open, and on a Street Twin, you are subjected to more cross winds and buffeting from larger vehicles passing you by. You’ll definitely pucker up a little when that 18 wheeler blows past you. It’ll get you there, but it’s like driving a small car on a long trip. I added the T120 to my garage because I wanted something with more stability at speed and more heft. I think it has a little longer wheelbase base, possibly a more relaxed steering angle, and also about 50 lbs more weight. It just all adds up to a better cruiser for highways while also being a great all rounder on the two lanes. Love my Street Twin, but it’s the T120 that gets the nod when it’s time to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts