Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if factory cruise control will be available for the ST? Early articles mention it but haven't seen anything since the release.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spoke to a guy last week who had one of these, he said it worked fine

http://northwestmotorcyclesdirect.c...gn=Oxford Cruise Anti-Fatigue Throttle Assist
I've had these over the years, and the downside is that you can't take your hand off the grip, even for a second. They help, especially if you suffer from vibration numbness, but I still vote for the Go-Cruise Throttle Control, or something similar. But, whatever works best for the individual rider is what counts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the OXford throttle control (plastic thingy) and I must admit....since purchase last month after a 300+km day on my S-Twin, which I found myself feeling it a little on on the wrist after 40+minute stretches,.....BUT since purchase, and another 500+km Monday romp up North of Toronto... best 12$ every spent for a motorcycle. Long highway straights I rest the weight of my palm over the lever and give the wrist a rest. A+

Mine is about 3" wide under the palm...but there are narrower ones avail'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Triumph aftersales response:

Good day and at the moment there are no planes for cruise control only heated grips for that model.
thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Triumph aftersales response:

Good day and at the moment there are no planes for cruise control only heated grips for that model.
thanks

Been looking for a while now how to get it for my 2017 Street scrambler and the only option which isn't guaranteed at the moment is to buy about £2000 worth of boneville parts so the bike can take a modified remap.

Basically the boneville has pretty much the same wiring loom as the street twin/scrambler from studying the Haynes manual diagrams, I took a wire from the yellow sidelight wire to a momentary push then back to pin A29 on the ecu.

I then modified a boneville map copying the street scrambler parameters over using tuneECU, the map loaded successfully and upon turning the ignition off then on, the cruise control indicator flashed up green on the instruments, i did the cruise control set procedure then the next time I pressed the momentary push button the cruise indicator came up on the lcd display.

Now for the problem, the bike won't start because the bonnie map is telling the ecu to perform a handshake with the instrument cluster and is looking for instruments with serial numbers relating to that batch of bonevilles.
You then get this code P1614 - Instrument ID Incompatible, you also get an ABS fault because again the map will be telling the ECU to look for a specific ABS serial number range - P1520 - ABS ECM Unmatched
The ABS doesnt concern me as much because I dont think it will prevent the engine starting, the instrument fault code however does immobilise the bike as other triumph owners have found when trying to replace damaged clocks with second hand ones and reporting the same problems of engines unable to start with the MIL light flashing constantly on the new dash, way back on 675 daytonas and speed triples.
The only possible option at the moment (which Isn't proven and i dont intend to spend the money) would be to buy a new boneville clock set and bracket - possibly an ABS ECM for good measure but all that will be circa £2k or £800 ish for just the clocks and bracket hedging the bet that ABS wont matter in terms of starting.

I can only hope that a smarter person than myself has been looking in to this too and may be able to work around the software issue but thats a big hope.
Other than buying the parts and taking a gamble then its either give up and get a manual throttle assist device or learn all about hex code in its raw format o_O:geek:😂
P.S. if anyone is willing to lend a set of bonnie clocks off a 2017 model for an hour to see if it works then let me know, if you dont see me again then I'll be cruising 😂 😂

·
Registered
273 Posts
Been looking for a while now how to get it for my 2017 Street scrambler and the only option which isn't guaranteed at the moment is to buy about £2000 worth of boneville parts so the bike can take a modified remap.

Basically the boneville has pretty much the same wiring loom as the street twin/scrambler from studying the Haynes manual diagrams, I took a wire from the yellow sidelight wire to a momentary push then back to pin A29 on the ecu.

I then modified a boneville map copying the street scrambler parameters over using tuneECU, the map loaded successfully and upon turning the ignition off then on, the cruise control indicator flashed up green on the instruments, i did the cruise control set procedure then the next time I pressed the momentary push button the cruise indicator came up on the lcd display.

Now for the problem, the bike won't start because the bonnie map is telling the ecu to perform a handshake with the instrument cluster and is looking for instruments with serial numbers relating to that batch of bonevilles.
You then get this code P1614 - Instrument ID Incompatible, you also get an ABS fault because again the map will be telling the ECU to look for a specific ABS serial number range - P1520 - ABS ECM Unmatched
The ABS doesnt concern me as much because I dont think it will prevent the engine starting, the instrument fault code however does immobilise the bike as other triumph owners have found when trying to replace damaged clocks with second hand ones and reporting the same problems of engines unable to start with the MIL light flashing constantly on the new dash, way back on 675 daytonas and speed triples.
The only possible option at the moment (which Isn't proven and i dont intend to spend the money) would be to buy a new boneville clock set and bracket - possibly an ABS ECM for good measure but all that will be circa £2k or £800 ish for just the clocks and bracket hedging the bet that ABS wont matter in terms of starting.

I can only hope that a smarter person than myself has been looking in to this too and may be able to work around the software issue but thats a big hope.
Other than buying the parts and taking a gamble then its either give up and get a manual throttle assist device or learn all about hex code in its raw format o_O:geek:😂
P.S. if anyone is willing to lend a set of bonnie clocks off a 2017 model for an hour to see if it works then let me know, if you dont see me again then I'll be cruising 😂 😂
Well, that is certainly a lot more impressive than a $10 throttle paddle even if it didn’t work. I am impressed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Haha thanks, I'd love to be able to take it in to a dealer with it functioning as a "hate to say I told you so" but currently the joke would be on me due to the cost of new clocks!
The thing is triumph replied to my query saying its not possible but I fail to see that when I've proven it can be at least activated by a chage of software 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T120 Black
387 Posts
Presumably they CBA to knock up a new and hideously overpriced switch cluster incorporating the cruise button.

I wonder what a comparison of the T120 cruise and non-cruise maps would reveal.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
There's just no excuse for motorcycle manufacturers today not to offer cruise control on their entire ride-by-wire street product line. It's just too useful, especially in places where speed is continuously monitored. This, from a guy who had never had cruise control before the one on my T120. I've gotten addicted. My thumb heads for that little button almost anytime I want to cruise at a steady speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts