Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently installed a TEC cam on my 2018 Street Twin, and it was probably the best upgrade I could've made to the bike. When I bought the cam, George said that no remap or PCV would be necessary for the bike. I have a Zard 2->1 exhaust and air filter snorkel removed. I've noticed some heavy decel popping and in general, I feel that changes that significant to the Intake/Exhaust flow may exceed the adaptivity of the stock ECU.

Has anyone dyno'd their Street Twin with the TEC cams? I bought a PCV and installed it, but finding a motorcycle dyno anywhere within hundreds of miles is proving nearly impossible (thanks, California). I'm curious if anyone has a baseline map with a cam upgrade (maybe even Raish?) that could at least get me closer than stock? I understand that a number of factors can cause maps to vary between bikes, but I'd like to get at least a ballpark of where the map should be until I can get it dyno'd. Or is the Stock ECU actually plenty capable of adapting to those changes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check this thread out not sure it answers your question directly but a lot of interesting cam info.
https://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/882673-70hp-street-twin.html
Hey Changohot,

Thanks for the response. I've been following that thread for quite some time now. It was what really inspired me to move forward with upgrading the cam. I'm combing through some of the newer posts, and still seeing mixed info regarding the PCV maps.

I apologize if this post is redundant, but I was mainly reaching out to see if anyone had a map I could take a look at.

edit - An additional bit of info. The head mechanic at my local Triumph dealership was shocked when he heard I was running a stock ECU with my upgrades. He said he was almost certain that it wouldn't be able to adapt to those changes and I'd likely need a PCV.

·
Registered
716 Posts
An additional bit of info. The head mechanic at my local Triumph dealership was shocked when he heard I was running a stock ECU with my upgrades. He said he was almost certain that it wouldn't be able to adapt to those changes and I'd likely need a PCV.
Yeah, opinions are like arses, everyone has one! There’s a ton of folks working at dealers (of all brands) who don’t have a clue about the effects of modifications. They will tell you all sorts of lies, half truths and utter crap. Just ignore him and carry on with improving your bike :grin2:

There’s been a lot of discussion about the Raisch maps not being all they could/should be and causing running problems. Maybe @jsobell could help?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Hello all,

I recently installed a TEC cam on my 2018 Street Twin, and it was probably the best upgrade I could've made to the bike. When I bought the cam, George said that no remap or PCV would be necessary for the bike. I have a Zard 2->1 exhaust and air filter snorkel removed. I've noticed some heavy decel popping and in general, I feel that changes that significant to the Intake/Exhaust flow may exceed the adaptivity of the stock ECU.

Has anyone dyno'd their Street Twin with the TEC cams? I bought a PCV and installed it, but finding a motorcycle dyno anywhere within hundreds of miles is proving nearly impossible (thanks, California). I'm curious if anyone has a baseline map with a cam upgrade (maybe even Raish?) that could at least get me closer than stock? I understand that a number of factors can cause maps to vary between bikes, but I'd like to get at least a ballpark of where the map should be until I can get it dyno'd. Or is the Stock ECU actually plenty capable of adapting to those changes?

Thanks in advance.
I have done the same, cam xpipe desnorkel.. I too get some popping on deceleration. Another contributor @RHB has done quite a lot of research on mufflers and slip ons etc.. if i remember rightly he said that there is decel popping but that you do not hear it with the cat installed. In other words he does NOT have a cam installed, but still gets some decel popping with cat removed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have done the same, cam xpipe desnorkel.. I too get some popping on deceleration. Another contributor @RHB has done quite a lot of research on mufflers and slip ons etc.. if i remember rightly he said that there is decel popping but that you do not hear it with the cat installed. In other words he does NOT have a cam installed, but still gets some decel popping with cat removed.
Thanks for the reference, but to say "decel popping" covers a wide range of severity and causes. The stock Street twin pops a little at low rpms on decel especially when highly loaded, but the CAT and mufflers cover it mostly. Just switching cans will make it more audible. however loud and constant cracking and popping the second you let go of the throttle is another matter.

My personal experience has been that adding a Decat and or short slip ons did not increase this much if any, There are lots of videos on my you tube channel to listen to with my various exhaust set ups. (You have to go back a few months) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jNqFcFdJm1MKnX7BfvQmA?

Now, all that said adding a cam to the mix, I can't speak to specifically, but unlikely the TEC cam is causing any major issues in that regard. It is a very mild cam, just reduces the negative overlap of the valves, and adds some duration but it does not increase lift much. The Raisch cam adds a little more lift that the TEC cam. ( and for this reason perhaps he, Rainer Raisch recommends and conveniently sells a pre programmed PCV. This also BTW extends the rev limit 500 RPM, something @jsobell thought might have an effect on the throttle cut before the rev limit is reached. He would have to speak to that.
Others (and TEC) advise getting the latest map. One other thing is in reality the Street Twins single throttle body is about maxed out in fuel anyway, and the airbox is the same as on the twin throttle bodied 1200cc bikes, so its getting all the air it needs already, and you can't give it much more fuel.
If I added a cam I would want to do a dyno run if for nothing else to check the A/F ratio in a dynamic setting., but I also don't think the bike is in too much danger overall.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yeah, opinions are like arses, everyone has one! There’s a ton of folks working at dealers (of all brands) who don’t have a clue about the effects of modifications. They will tell you all sorts of lies, half truths and utter crap. Just ignore him and carry on with improving your bike :grin2:

There’s been a lot of discussion about the Raisch maps not being all they could/should be and causing running problems.
THe big problem with Raisch was he was selling one cam for late model VIN and Early VIN. The cams are different, But he was trying to fix the issue by providing "updated maps" in one case that seemed to work, but I have compared the cams for longitudinal compatibility, they are different, but it looks like and I emphasize "looks like" they will run in either bike. More than that I can't say for reasons of confidentiality.
two of the guys with the correct VIN numbers did have to adjust their A/F ratios for local conditions altitude air density etc. But if one understands how the PCV works that should be normal as your taking the ecu and lambda sensors out of the loop negating any "adaption"

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@RHB thank you for the excellent response. I guess my fears about the stock ECU not handling the upgrades were a bit misplaced. Your comment regarding adaption raises a final question: given that I have no real access to a dyno, would I be better off just pulling the PCV back out and falling back on the stock ECU? My PCV install didn't have me bypass the O2 sensors, but I'm assuming that it still disables the adaptation of the ECU?

Thank you all again for your excellent responses. I'm learning quite a bit about my bike.

·
Registered
746 Posts
@RHB thank you for the excellent response. I guess my fears about the stock ECU not handling the upgrades were a bit misplaced. Your comment regarding adaption raises a final question: given that I have no real access to a dyno, would I be better off just pulling the PCV back out and falling back on the stock ECU? My PCV install didn't have me bypass the O2 sensors, but I'm assuming that it still disables the adaptation of the ECU?

Thank you all again for your excellent responses. I'm learning quite a bit about my bike.
The PCV used to have o2 sensor plugs, but I have heard due to regulations they have been forced to eliminate that feature. I guess it is true. Depends on what kind of base map you have, I am not a dyno tuner, more old school, but as I understand PCV use, with out a tuner to run your bike on a dyno it is rather ineffective. All values have to be set manually, that said they offer the "auto tune" module to automatically records your set ups and give you the chance to tune on the fly, then upload to your PCV, but some say it doesn't work that well, and its just more money to throw at the solution.
I really can't advise you not seeing, hearing, or riding the bike, but at least do a plug check, and if possible get your A/F ratio confirmed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All, I'm expecting my 2018 SS back from the Tune shop tonight - I have had the TEC Cam upgrade done and had Meerkat mufflers remove my Cat. The bike was running the V&H 2-1 pipe already.
Early reports from the tuner are that the bike was producing 53HP at the rear wheel and 73HP at the crank! I'll post the three dyno runs they did for me later today and I'll update my opinion on the actual ride if I get a chance over the weekend.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi All, I'm expecting my 2018 SS back from the Tune shop tonight - I have had the TEC Cam upgrade done and had Meerkat mufflers remove my Cat. The bike was running the V&H 2-1 pipe already.
Early reports from the tuner are that the bike was producing 53HP at the rear wheel and 73HP at the crank! I'll post the three dyno runs they did for me later today and I'll update my opinion on the actual ride if I get a chance over the weekend.
53 and 73... thats a 30% loss surely not .

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here’s the Dyno after the tune View attachment 725474
A few questions
1)]How are you calculating crank hp?
2) any dyno run showing rwhp prior to the work ?
3) torque graph ?
4) it would appear you havent removed any of the ecu restrictions. Is this correct?
5) why kmh over engine rpm on the graph ?

The issues i have with this is the hp seems to low... i would honestly want to see rwhp at the same as crank standard .
Your 53rwhp.... lets call it 20% loss means 64 hp at crank... which is pretty much standard... unless you are telling me loss through drive train is 30-40%?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to do something similar to my 2019 model, which seems to have lost power. I have the following dyno chart:

I'm wondering if this TEC cam upgrade would work for my bike? Again, it's the 2019 model, so shouldn't be showing stats this low anyway!

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts