Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yeppers. Tec has two options on rear shocks. I ordered the upgraded version (includes dampening adjustment). Also ordered their progressive fork springs.
This will probably be my first real upgrade as well if I get the ST. It should really improve the bike for a small cost.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
So, no waiting until the bike has 5,000 miles or so on it and the stock suspension has broken in?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would encourage you to reconsider using Tec Bike shocks. I have attached a picture to illustrate a fairly common Tec Bike shock failure. This has occurred on Bonneville, Kz, SX, and other motorcycle models. There are many companies making quality shocks. Try Hagon, Progressive, RaceTec, Ohlins, or Fox. They may cost more but will be worth it.
I understand that many are using Tec Bike shocks and not experiencing failure. However do you really want to take that risk? Would a crash investigator be able to determine that the failed suspension was the cause the crash or would one think the shocks broke as result of the crash? Is the potential risk worth saving a few bucks?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Give Ikon the dimensions and they'll probably be able to cook up something which will actually work. Ikon understands Bonnevilles... :cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would encourage you to reconsider using Tec Bike shocks. I have attached a picture to illustrate a fairly common Tec Bike shock failure. This has occurred on Bonneville, Kz, SX, and other motorcycle models. There are many companies making quality shocks. Try Hagon, Progressive, RaceTec, Ohlins, or Fox. They may cost more but will be worth it.
I understand that many are using Tec Bike shocks and not experiencing failure. However do you really want to take that risk? Would a crash investigator be able to determine that the failed suspension was the cause the crash or would one think the shocks broke as result of the crash? Is the potential risk worth saving a few bucks?
Interesting. Something to consider. You mention many companies making quality shocks. Only one problem, (as of this posting) they're not making quality shocks for Street Twins.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Interesting. Something to consider. You mention many companies making quality shocks. Only one problem, (as of this posting) they're not making quality shocks for Street Twins.
Got news for you. Probably nobody makes shocks for Bonnevilles specifically other than Ikon and possibly Hagon. The rest are using the physical dimensions and specs and fitting springs to match.

While most anything is better than stock..., a lot of premium brands fail on the damping side. Bargain brands rarely work compared to mid-grade, so good luck with what YOU ordered. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
R you saying forget about ohlins, if they ever make one for the twin?
Yes..., unless you are VERY heavy. :) Pal who weighs 215# bought some 36E's for his T-100. Had to send them to Ohlins 4 times to get the spring rates and damping close to my Ikons which were ordered sprung for me. Any Ohlins for Bonnevilles will always be an off-the-shelf solution. Not enough volume to justify serious R&D on a Bonneville. Bonneville people are too cheap.

Same pal had Ohlins in NC Rebuild his stock forks on his 800 Tiger after the dedicated shock Ohlins in NC sent him had worked well. Obviously Tiger people aren't shy about dropping coin which made a dedicated unit worthwhile for Ohlins.

Same with my 796 which has a DU-737. Good dedicated monoshock for 696, 796 and 1100S/EVO. Plenty of market there! ;) Reasonable pricing too but really only 90% of what an $1,800 three-way Ohlins would deliver. Waste of $$$ on anything but an SBK or track bike IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would encourage you to reconsider using Tec Bike shocks. I have attached a picture to illustrate a fairly common Tec Bike shock failure. This has occufrred on Bonneville, Kz, SX, and other motorcycle models. There are many companies making quality shocks. Try Hagon, Progressive, RaceTec, Ohlins, or Fox. They may cost more but will be worth it.
I went back and looked at that photo a second time. You will notice that the large bottom locking nut that locks down the ride height adjustment is completely unscrewed and many threads down from the lower part of the shock that it should lock up against. Once ride height is adjusted Loctite should be applied to the threads and the nut tightened (as dscribed in the instructions that come with the shocks). There is the cause of the failure, improper install. Would happen to Ohlins if you left that step undone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Any one of those companies will set up a shock for the Street Twin. We now sell Hagon at our shop. Hagon will gladly set up shocks for your or anyone else's Street Twin. One would just need to have a dealer contact Hagon, and give Hagon the length desired, rider weight, and use details. Hagon will assemble the shocks and ship them out quickly. I could have a set at our shop in about four days. I just installed a custom set of Hagon nitros on my t120.
http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/

I have also spoken with Fox regarding the new Triumph models. Fox could build a set for the Street Twin. Fox shocks could take about three weeks to arrive.
http://www.ridefox.com/2016/subhome.php?m=moto&type=onroad&ref=topnav

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went back and looked at that photo a second time. You will notice that the large bottom locking nut that locks down the ride height adjustment is completely unscrewed and many threads down from the lower part of the shock that it should lock up against. Once ride height is adjusted Loctite should be applied to the threads and the nut tightened (as dscribed in the instructions that come with the shocks). There is the cause of the failure, improper install. Would happen to Ohlins if you left that step undone.
You may be correct. The pictured motorcycle is not mine.
However I have seen this failure numerous times before over several years with Tec shocks on various motorcycles.
Regardless, I would still recommend avoiding Tec Bike shocks they are a low quality shock.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Any one of those companies will set up a shock for the Street Twin. We now sell Hagon at our shop. Hagon will gladly set up shocks for your or anyone else's Street Twin. One would just need to have a dealer contact Hagon, and give Hagon the length desired, rider weight, and use details. Hagon will assemble the shocks and ship them out quickly. I could have a set at our shop in about four days. I just installed a custom set of Hagon nitros on my t120.
http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/

I have also spoken with Fox regarding the new Triumph models. Fox could build a set for the Street Twin. Fox shocks could take about three weeks to arrive.
http://www.ridefox.com/2016/subhome.php?m=moto&type=onroad&ref=topnav
Excellent info here. I take it you're at Woodstock Triumph / HD? I suppose I could ask MCC in Villa Park where I bought my ST. ON the other hand, I spend some time in your area on a regular basis. Since you seem to know your stuff, maybe I should just ride out to you? If I do, who should I ask for? I'd also want front (progressive) springs. I'm approx 210lb rider. PM me if you prefer. Thanks again for this info.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts