Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

firstly let me wish that all of you and your loved ones will come through this pandemic...
I am the happy owner of a 2019 ST. I changed the front brake pads -with OEM- at 5900km (last September) since the pads material was almost gone. My mech said that I had less than 1000km remaining at that point. These 5900km were divided like 60% riding in big city traffic and 40% trips out of the city.
I am now at 9900km, with these last 4000km riding exclusively in city traffic and it seems I need to change pads again... OK I may ride hard :rolleyes: but come on! Only 4K?
So fellow riders with 2019 ST, whats your pads mileage with the new brembo calipers? Are there any other than OEM pads that might give more mileage without stopping power sacrifice?

Stay Safe!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi all,

firstly let me wish that all of you and your loved ones will come through this pandemic...
I am the happy owner of a 2019 ST. I changed the front brake pads -with OEM- at 5900km (last September) since the pads material was almost gone. My mech said that I had less than 1000km remaining at that point. These 5900km were divided like 60% riding in big city traffic and 40% trips out of the city.
I am now at 9900km, with these last 4000km riding exclusively in city traffic and it seems I need to change pads again... OK I may ride hard :rolleyes: but come on! Only 4K?
So fellow riders with 2019 ST, whats your pads mileage with the new brembo calipers? Are there any other than OEM pads that might give more mileage without stopping power sacrifice?

Stay Safe!
I agree, 4000km on a set of brake pads indicates a serious problem. Sticking pistons? Or a rotor/caliper alignment problem...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I love my FA214/2HH ebc double h sintered pads. They seem to be wearing well and the bite is superior to the stock pads on my 2016 street twin fwiw...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your answers.

The pads seem to wear "uniform", not in a strange way/angle. The bite is good, stopping power is as expected. No excessive use of abs. Nothing feels like the pistons are stuck. I ride aggressive, with minor rear brake use, using engine brake all the time. Previous experience with one cylinder BMW GS Dakar that had 2 pot brembo, gave me arround 10-15K km, depending use and weather (it can be really hot here during the summer, with temps up to 38-39c)

I see no EBC pads for the 4 pot caliper of 2019 model in their site.

Brembo site shows 3 different compounds:
Road SA - sintered specific for front use
Road LA - sintered
Road CC - carbon ceramic
Anybody knows which one is the Triumph OEM?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Since the brakes are Brembo can you figure out which Calipers they are and find pads based on that? I’ve often felt like the street twin is missing from online tools when selecting bikes for fitment. But I think the only thing that is really being fitted here is pads to calipers? I goggled around a bit but without ready access to the bike find it hard to figure out which model calipers you have with your floating rotor (I’m jelly).

Replacing my stick rotor with a floating one is my plan when the stock rotor needs replacing...

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
344 Posts
Not to offend but what do you weigh? Are you carrying any gear? Racks/bags?
If your loading the bike plus a hard rider most of the time. If you don’t use the rear brakes much as a lot of people tend to do, and being that the Street twin only has one calliper compared to most bikes designed to be ridden hard have twins.
if all or most are true then I wouldn’t be surprised if they wear out quick. Just some things to factor in.

its also the same calliper as the LH side of a speed twin (same par number) so if you look for Speed Twin pads you might get more selection options.

·
Registered
467 Posts
On that note, if you ride a street twin and don’t use the rear brakes, you are missing out. This bikes rear brakes are weirdly one of my favorite details, the pedal feel is incredible, the bike stops much better with both brakes and in spirited riding a little trailing rear brake coupled with a little balancing throttle to the apex really makes the bike feel stable. (I’m sure someone will have issues with that last comment! :) )

Good call out about comparable bike with two calipers to find pads, that’s the direction I was headed, but with actionable details! @SPEED-TWIN-77

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am about 80kg, no racks on bike (only motone luggage rails, which are not that heavy), no central stand. I mostly ride with a backpack with laptop +some stuff. I suppose with clothes, backpack, helmet etc etc I am less than 100kg in total.
Anyway there will be a visit to Triumph service this week, will post "doctors" opinion.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
T120 Cinder Red 2016
207 Posts
Try some EBC HH should outlast OE

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
344 Posts
I am about 80kg, no racks on bike (only motone luggage rails, which are not that heavy), no central stand. I mostly ride with a backpack with laptop +some stuff. I suppose with clothes, backpack, helmet etc etc I am less than 100kg in total.
Anyway there will be a visit to Triumph service this week, will post "doctors" opinion.
Thank you all.
not a weight issue then.

I just looked at my speed twin brakes a bit closer and noticed theres not a lot of meat on the pads to begin with compared to other bikes. I looked around the other bikes I’m parked next to and they have noticeable more and iv only done 1500 km. might be a weight saving thing With this particular caliper. Make the pads thinner For a couple extra grams.

surprised no one else with a brembo front Street twin has chimed in. Most be a few out there with 8-10k on them.
would make it a bit clearer.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't know if the Street has the same caliper as fitted to the Speed but the Brembo callipers on the Speed Twin take EBC FA322/4HH (sintered pads)

Have you put a dial gauge on the disc to see if it runs true? Both side to side and up and down).
Fettled mine so maximum run-out is just 0.003mm from the centre line - originally one was only just within spec and the outer edge caused a lot of juddering at the brake lever whenever applied heavily due to the disc bobbing up and down movement as it passed through the caliper. Noticeable improvement above how it came off the production line and the whole assembly is almost silent. Definitely no pad drag now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts