Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a naked version 2000 SV650, with following mods:
Race Tech fork rebuild, Fox Shock, Leo Vince Exhaust, JD Jetting kit, Braded brake lines, Buell windscreen, aftermarket pegs etc.

I got a chance to briefly ride a Street Triple - what a bike. Does anyone have personal experiences with the differences in the two bikes?

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
I do. My common riding buddy has a 06' SV650. He's got an M4 pipe and a few other mods.

To put it simply...the Striple SPANKS it in every aspect. There's yet to be an instance where I couldn't walk away from him and he's got 2 years riding experience on me.

It does have a quite of bit more wind protection with the nice big head unit on it, but other than the wind protection I think the Striple is MUCH more of a bike.

To put it on the other hand. I love riding his SV650. It's extremely fun. I can thrash on it really hard and I don't have to worry about really explosive speed or being the wheelie king. It's an extremely enjoyable bike IMO....But the Striple gets my vote.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I looked at the SV650 really hard before choosing the Striple. Overall, I think the Striple will cost a little more to own, higher initial cost, parts will cost a little more because of the currency values between England and the USA. That being said, if you look at the bikes side-by-side, the Striple is much more "finished", or refined. The 675 engine is absolutely sweet, so perfect for the everyday world. And it is unique! Very few people will get to own a Striple compared to the SV650. Even my wife, who does not care for the naked bike look, commented when she first saw the Striple how nice it is (that made it really easy for me to buy at that point, lol).

Neanderthal

·
Registered
37 Posts
we have an 06 SV650 with the usual mods (pipe PCIII etc) and an 08 street triple the trumpet is head and shoulders above the suzuki but then again the suzuki half as much!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure what you want to know difference wise exactly. I have a Ninja 650R which is very similar to the SV650, both are twins with almost the same HP. Anyway, the Striple has it over the 650 in every department.

Striple has better: Suspension, Brakes, and is much faster

·
Registered
45 Posts
There just is no comparison between the ST and the SV, but they don't really belong in the same category anyways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ST3 R vs. SV650

I recently traded in a 2009 SV650 for a 2010 Street Triple R. The SV was a fun bike for a pretty cheap price tag but when I started looking at upgrading it to make it really work well (forks, rear shock, exhaust, etc) it wouldn't end up being that cheap really. It has a lot of bottom end power and it's very useable power but it's power output pales in comparison to the St3 R. Having gotten the R version of the St3 I already have great brakes, great suspension, great power, etc so really all the St3 R needs is some visual customization if you really want to add them. I added the flyscreen and windshield, a rear hugger, a belly pan, some carbon fiber heel kick plates and a Triumph magnetic tank bag. The St3 is about 40-50 lbs lighter than the SV and has about 35 more horsepower. Being an older rider (57 years old) the upright riding posture of the St3 fits me like a glove. I could only ride the SV for 30 minutes before my back, my knees, shoulders and wrists would hurt. Also, the St3 looks so unique whereas the SV looked a lot like every other Japanese pocket rocket out there. I get compliments all the time on the St3. Sure it costs more but it's so much more motorcycle. Overall I LOVE my St3 R!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Since my last reply, my wife has purchased an '07 SV650S, lol. Each bike has it's merits. I actually like the ride of the SV650S better on the longer Interstate trips. The Street Triple absolutely clobbers the SV for power output, but the extra power is not a necessity. For the money, the SV650 is hard to beat, and like the Ninja250, just about the cheapest bike to own due to the the enormous parts supply and popularity. The Street Triple is more like an untamed horse, it feels a bit wild compared to the well-mannered SV. Both great bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all! My co-worker lent me his SV650 for a week before I bought my Street Triple. I grew to love his bike, but much prefer the Street Triple due to the relaxed riding position, smoother throttle response, and additional power. I was riding the SV650 when I went to test ride my new bike. Got to ride my friends bike home and then come back for the Triumph. Since I bought the bike used, the difference in price wasn't quite as large as for a new bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts