Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seat on my 09 street triple seems a bit to firm, has anyone had experience with the gel seat or maybe the Corbin seat ?.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the gel seat. It's better than the stock seat, but not by much! I've put 7500km on my bike, so its not about break-in time. I find them both very firm :(.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The Gel Seat is a better seat than the stock seat. I would says it worth the $2XX you'll pay for it. I've been looking at the Corbin, but $450 has kept me away sicne no one can really report what it's like. There's one guy who claims to have one and after many requests of pictures from many people he's yet to produce anything or give any good feedback on what it's like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just rode 1500 miles of twisties in 3 days and was very comfortable. I have the ST3R which has a gel seat stock. I don't know if it is the same as the replacement seat, but is one of the best I have ridden on.

Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
........... I have the ST3R which has a gel seat stock. ..........................
Dave
I don't think that is correct...........I have the R and I don't think it is a gel seat.

If it was stock why is it listed as an accessory for $219.00

(Both the stock R seat and the gel seat have the two-tone.)

PS......For me anyway, riding twisties is more comfy than doing long highway stretches because you're moving around a lot and shifting your weight around.

·
Registered
112 Posts
While the gel and R seats have similar stitching they are different seats.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
On the standard seat you get sore after about 1hr of riding, on the "Gel" seat you get the same effect after 1hr 10min. Its really not worth the extra bucks, better off to get someone who knows what they are doing to customise the standard one for you.
:p

Apparently you can t say "a--e" even when talking about your bottom and seat comfort, talk about over-zelous moderating. I feel like Im a 5 yo again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
As someone who just rode (this past weekend) 300 miles on Sunday and over 600 miles on Monday I can say the gel-seat it a minor gain over stock on long runs but after about an hour on the bike at 70 miles an hour you want nothing more than to get off it.

I'm look VERY hard at the Corbin now.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Aaron,
That's what I was thinking as well, I was not that impressed with the gel seat as a valued upgrade from what little I have seen of it. I tend to move around a lot when I ride, so the OEM seat has not been an issue, yet. I could see either a custom-upholstered job or the Corbin as being about the only worthwhile options out there, unless Sargent gets off the pot and gets one into production.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
582 Posts
I found on this long trip with the gel seat that the more a laid down on the bike (IE-more of my chest I could get on the tank and the lower I could get my helmet) the more comfortable the ride was; from the wind and on my rear. A Corbin is seriously in my near future.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Aaron,
That's what I was thinking as well, I was not that impressed with the gel seat as a valued upgrade from what little I have seen of it. I tend to move around a lot when I ride, so the OEM seat has not been an issue, yet. I could see either a custom-upholstered job or the Corbin as being about the only worthwhile options out there, unless Sargent gets off the pot and gets one into production.

Neanderthal
I posted this a week ago in the "sit on it" seat thread someone else started. I'd encourage everyone who WANTS Sargent to seriously consider making a seat for us, to call them. Surely can't hurt.
I had a very nice convo today with Rudy from Sargent Seats. I asked him why they haven't developed a seat yet for the Striple. I explained to him that it was Triumph's best selling model for 2008, and that there is a world wide presence on this forum along with other 675 forums.

We talked for a while, he seemed genuinely interested and said he would pass the information along to the powers that be, as they are having a "new model" development meeting very soon.

I'd strongly urge anyone interested in them producing a seat to call their toll free number and voice your opinion. The more feedback from owners they get the better, and hopefully it helps nudge them forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the gel seat and I can honestly say that I prefer the stock seat. The seam at the front of the gel seat tends to absorb and hold water until you sit on it and get a soaking wet crotch even though the rest of the seat is dry. The comfort difference is neglible at best.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts