Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 RS with Pirelli Supercorsa II tyres. I've managed 3300 miles so far and still have a bit of life left in them, maybe another 1000 miles, meaning I need to replace them before I head to Spain this summer. My question is, what do people recommend? I like the Pirelli's but I've heard a lot mentioned about Bridgestone's S22 tyres and Metzelers. Are they really that much better or should I stick with the Supercorsas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll bite..What kind of riding do you do? Street/track, wet/dry, perfect roads/permanent construction zone, short rides/long hauls......

Did I forget anything?

·
Registered
264 Posts
When mine wore out on my 2018 after 5,300 miles, I put some Pilot Road 5s on it. I use it mainly to commute, but also planned to take it on some longer multi-day trips with 1 or 2 track days a year (I'm novice novice, so I don't need super sticky tires).

For my kind of use, I've seen people getting PR 5s or the Pirelli Angel tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just dropped a pair of Diablo Rosso III on. Feels stable and saw others on here suggesting in other tire/tyre threads. I've not had the chance to push things yet, too cold here :) Not going to be the grip-fest the Supercorsa are, but sticky enough if not hanging on a track monthly or similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just dropped a pair of Diablo Rosso III on. Feels stable and saw others on here suggesting in other tire/tyre threads. I've not had the chance to push things yet, too cold here :) Not going to be the grip-fest the Supercorsa are, but sticky enough if not hanging on a track monthly or similar.

I was thinking of giving these a go. I've seen a lot of good reviews and my Dad has them on the Speed Twin (very different bike, I know) and he really rates them. I'm not doing many tracks, not trying to push the bike to it's limits but I'm not commuting either so trying to find the right balance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll bite..What kind of riding do you do? Street/track, wet/dry, perfect roads/permanent construction zone, short rides/long hauls......

Did I forget anything?
Mostly road riding in dry conditions. I haven't been on track and not likely to suddenly spend a lot of time on one. Average ride is prob between 50-120 miles a time but I have a couple of longer trips planned

·
Registered
50 Posts
You might want to take a look at this page. It's slightly dated as the Pilot Road 5 is out now and supposedly much better than the 4. He goes into the science of tires a bit more in another video, but the first link is specific to sport touring.

Tires like the Rosso 3's are great, but they may be more tire than you need and so you are paying for something you might not use either upfront, with a higher purchase price, or on the back end with shorter tread life or both.

Riding conditions will determine which tire(s) is (are) best. If you aren't riding in the rain, then rain performance is less of an issue.

Nearly all of my riding is done on dry back roads in the mountains on two-lane roads where the speeds range from 20mph-60mph. The pavement is in good shape but many dirt, clay or gravel driveways connect the roads to houses so I never know what I will find between my tires and the street. Based on reading hundreds of reviews and watching numerous videos from multiple sources, I'm leaning toward the Angel GT II. Perhaps not quite as grippy as the Rosso 3, but reportedly very grippy with the aggressive turn-in response I want for those mountain rides and longer tread life than the Corsa III. I fear that the Road 5 and especially Metzlers are simply too flat for my Street Triple R and tight mountain roads.

One warning, several California riders have complained that they don't get along with the grooved highways. Apparently the combination of highway rain channeling and Angel GT II creates a disconcerting wobble at highway speed.

Note, my only recent first-hand experience is with the Rossa 3. Turn-in is pretty aggressive and grip is great. I have no complaints about them at all. Everything else is based on lots and lots of reading.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision. I'm probably not far behind you, so please share your experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might want to take a look at this page. It's slightly dated as the Pilot Road 5 is out now and supposedly much better than the 4. He goes into the science of tires a bit more in another video, but the first link is specific to sport touring.

Tires like the Rosso 3's are great, but they may be more tire than you need and so you are paying for something you might not use either upfront, with a higher purchase price, or on the back end with shorter tread life or both.

Riding conditions will determine which tire(s) is (are) best. If you aren't riding in the rain, then rain performance is less of an issue.

Nearly all of my riding is done on dry back roads in the mountains on two-lane roads where the speeds range from 20mph-60mph. The pavement is in good shape but many dirt, clay or gravel driveways connect the roads to houses so I never know what I will find between my tires and the street. Based on reading hundreds of reviews and watching numerous videos from multiple sources, I'm leaning toward the Angel GT II. Perhaps not quite as grippy as the Rosso 3, but reportedly very grippy with the aggressive turn-in response I want for those mountain rides and longer tread life than the Corsa III. I fear that the Road 5 and especially Metzlers are simply too flat for my Street Triple R and tight mountain roads.

One warning, several California riders have complained that they don't get along with the grooved highways. Apparently the combination of highway rain channeling and Angel GT II creates a disconcerting wobble at highway speed.

Note, my only recent first-hand experience is with the Rossa 3. Turn-in is pretty aggressive and grip is great. I have no complaints about them at all. Everything else is based on lots and lots of reading.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision. I'm probably not far behind you, so please share your experience.
Thanks! This is great and will definitely take a look at the page you mention.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally you mentioned the new Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S22. I'd seen a lot of positive reviews for this from bike testers praising the improvements over the S21. I also just read a couple of positives when comparing them to the Angel GT.
Her is one.

·
Premium Member
8,396 Posts
I had S21's on my 675, when I was also using it as a track day bike. I also used BStone's T30's on track, based on the fact that Ron Haslem used them on his fleet of school bikes. If they're good enough for him, I thought. I was right. They worked at least as well as the S21's for my (lack of) skill level, and I got more miles out of them.

Now that the 675 is just a street bike, I'm trying Conti RoadAttack 3's based on a recommendation from a friend. Unfortunately, I don't have enough miles on them to form an opinion. If you are not an extremely skilled rider going 9/10's everywhere, there's a case to be made for sport touring tires. Longevity, and generally better wet weather performance are the two main arguments.

One thing I will say about both Bridgestones and Pirellis is that they seem to have much stiffer sidewalls than other brands. If you are changing them yourself using hand tools, they can be a real PITA.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are not an extremely skilled rider going 9/10's everywhere, there's a case to be made for sport touring tires. Longevity, and generally better wet weather performance are the two main arguments.
This is the most difficult thing for me. I am not skilled enough, nor does my riding environment allow me, to take advantage of my Diablo Rosso III's. I expect both fall short of the capacity of any of these tires we have discussed in this thread.

However, I have grown accustomed to the traction and responsiveness of these tires and I am worried that buying a much lesser tire, in terms of grip or responsiveness, would negatively impact my ability/enjoyment/safety on my current mountain rides. I know I don't take full advantage of the grip or the sidewall, but my ability to quickly flip directions is really important to me.

Not to hijack the thread, because it may be a valid concern of the OP too, but does anyone have experience stepping down significantly? I'm all for saving money AND getting longer life.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, because it may be a valid concern of the OP too, but does anyone have experience stepping down significantly? I'm all for saving money AND getting longer life.
I've used everything from track spec tires to sport touring tires on the Ducatis that I used to have. I will say that if you are riding hard enough to reach the limits of traction on most of these tires, you are going way too fast for the street and need to take it to the track. If you are on the track, then they will make more of a difference.

I dont have my Street Triple just yet (picking it up later today!) but my current bike is a Versys 1000 that I run pretty hard (Yeah I know, its not exactly an apples to apples comparison) and I have Pirelli Angel GT IIs on it...I wouldnt hesitate to put a pair of these on a Street Triple. Flickability might suffer a bit because most, if not all, sport touring tires are much more rounded than your average aggressive "sport" tire.

·
Premium Member
8,396 Posts
...Not to hijack the thread, because it may be a valid concern of the OP too, but does anyone have experience stepping down significantly? I'm all for saving money AND getting longer life.
I'm not sure what you mean by stepping down. I used Bridgestone T30 sport touring tires for everyday riding and about 5 track days until they were used up. I went to the last tech inspection in fear of getting failed, because my front tire was just about bald to the edges, but it passed and off I went.

For riders like you and me, sport touring tires will give all the traction you need, and give you good tire life - I got over 7,000 miles out of those Bridgestones. They are generally less expensive than pure sport tires. One thing that might save you a bit is that my front tire usually lasts twice as long as my rear, so I only have to replace it every other time I replace the rear.

You would get the longest life - and probably still have plenty of traction - from touring tires, but I wouldn't recommend them for our bikes. They are made for the heaviest bikes made and have very stiff sidewalls. They'd probably make your bike feel like the Flintstone mobile.

There are some, um...lessor known brands that are cheaper, like Shinko and Kenda, but I've never tried them. There are going to be people out there who swear by them, but there are also people who put car tires on their bikes. For something as critical as tires, I'll spent a little more to have the peace of mind that gives me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Tracked the Street 8 times in 2019, 5 times on PR3, 3 times on Dunlop Q3+
There is no comparison between the 2. Yes, the PR3 performed admirably for what it is, but it’s nowhere near the Q3. I’m not a fast, experienced track rider by any means, but the better I got, I started slipping the rear PR3. Q3’s are glue for my level.

I don't really get the “rain performance” on a bike. you should NOT be going fast in the rain to begin with. If you dump a bike in the wet and blame the “tire not for rain” guess what... It ain’t the tire. I don’t ride in the rain unless I get caught in it. I dont see the point of sacrificing dry grip for wet conditions in which I should be riding like a grandpa anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has any one used Metzler Roadtech 01s? They seem to get good reviews in tests and there are numerous people who use them on numerous bikes where i am, some hard chargers riding style, and they rate them very highly. The stock tyres are not very good in the wet and it is not just speed related they seem "slippery when wet" as in they just don't offer a high level of grip in the wet presumably to their track bias. Went with Rosso Corsa II on mine as i wasn't happy with the std tyres grip when the road surface wasn't perfect. Haven't enough ks/mls on them yet but they seem better than the IIIs but still would prefer something that covers non perfect roads a bit better. Next change i am planning on the Metzlers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts