Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of deals are you guys getting on brand new R models. The local dealership is supposed to have one next week. I know there is a little extra thrown if due to availability or lack there of.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Remember the sticker price on the bike at the dealer is smoke-and-mirrors. Add on sales tax, dealer prep, transportation, etc and you have 2000 dollars more than the sticker price. If the dealer has a bunch of Striples in crates in the warehouse maybe you can dicker down the price, but if he just has one or two well good luck. Us Canadians are charged about $1500 more than you guys for the R and our dollar is slightly higher (must be import duties from England I guess) so I am not going to cry too much for you lol. - Wayne

·
Registered
365 Posts
Got an R for around $8700 out-the-door, but that was for a new 2010 back in November. The updated 2012 just came out, so probably not many deals on those. You'd have better luck dealing on a left-over 2011, but then you'd miss out on the new Japanese-style headlights.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Remember the sticker price on the bike at the dealer is smoke-and-mirrors. Add on sales tax, dealer prep, transportation, etc and you have 2000 dollars more than the sticker price....
Not always true. I rode out the door having payed Triumph's advertised MSRP. My dealer does not play any games like that, all the bikes are sold out the door for MSRP, no other charges tacked on. I did have to pay sales tax on the bike at the courthouse when getting it registered.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Additional "charges" tacked on top of the MSRP price are literally pure effortless profit for the dealer. This is just their way of tacking on extra price and TRYING to make it seem legitimate or standard practice. Unfortunately a lot of dealers are doing this now..

Since MSRP is listed on all most or all makes websites, they have to resort these tactics.

When makers provide MSRP on their websites; shipping costs, prep and assembly costs, etc. are all factored into the value they come up with.

Shipping costs, assembly, and "documentation" fees should be accounted for on the sticker price. Otherwise it is just slimey practice. I wish dealers would stop doing this crap.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
Not always true. I rode out the door having payed Triumph's advertised MSRP. My dealer does not play any games like that, all the bikes are sold out the door for MSRP, no other charges tacked on. I did have to pay sales tax on the bike at the courthouse when getting it registered.
That's odd because Triumph charges freight to each dealer. The freight charge varies dealer to dealer. We get charged $500 for instance.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
Additional "charges" tacked on top of the MSRP price are literally pure effortless profit for the dealer. This is just their way of tacking on extra price and TRYING to make it seem legitimate or standard practice. Unfortunately a lot of dealers are doing this now..

Since MSRP is listed on all most or all makes websites, they have to resort these tactics.

When makers provide MSRP on their websites; shipping costs, prep and assembly costs, etc. are all factored into the value they come up with.

Shipping costs, assembly, and "documentation" fees should be accounted for on the sticker price. Otherwise it is just slimey practice. I wish dealers would stop doing this crap.
This is complete and utter BS. The retail price Triumph quotes is the retail price it does not include freight to the dealer or local license and taxes. The margins are quite tight and if a dealer were to give away local taxes, license, and freight the cost would be more then the margin they are making. Please don't spread FUD.

Right off the Triumph website next the stated retail price.
*Actual price determined by dealer. Price excludes taxes, license, options and $495 in destination/handling charges ($800 for AK and HI). Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
People please give up quoting out the door pricing. It's a complete waste of forum space. Unless you live in the same county as the person asking you can't possibly quote the actual out the door price as taxes vary from location to location as does dealer freight cost.

If you want to continue this thread talk about what sort of deals you've seen or mark up due to high demand. Continue talking about out the door BS and I'll close this thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is complete and utter BS. The retail price Triumph quotes is the retail price it does not include freight to the dealer or local license and taxes. The margins are quite tight and if a dealer were to give away local taxes, license, and freight the cost would be more then the margin they are making. Please don't spread FUD.

Right off the Triumph website next the stated retail price.
MSRP is literally just that, what the producer estimates the actual selling price might be (absent external state fees, obviously). Costs the dealer may incur to actually get the product to their location are factored into MSRP values for every other product I have ever seen.

Making the two separate makes the purpose of MSRP pretty much useless. So either Triumph is stating this fact because it has become sort of a standard extra fee dealerships use, or they believe the bait and switch model is beneficial to them as well. If ALL Triumph dealers are going to charge a freight fee, because it is built into Triumph's model, then Triumph can "claim" their MSRP is one value when it is essentially the other. Guess that looks good in the the motorcycle rags..

No-one has said that MSRP includes tax/title/tags.

I've purchased two new bikes and have never paid tacked on "freight cost". The dealer didn't lose money.

People please give up quoting out the door pricing. It's a complete waste of forum space. Unless you live in the same county as the person asking you can't possibly quote the actual out the door price as taxes vary from location to location as does dealer freight cost.

If you want to continue this thread talk about what sort of deals you've seen or mark up due to high demand. Continue talking about out the door BS and I'll close this thread.
I don't think anyone has talked about out the door price, only the price of the bike and dealer fees. Of course there are external fees that apply for about every locality.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
You yourself mention ducument fees which typically includes license and title.

Triumph is not trying to dupe anyone. The retail price is always stated with an explanation of the other fees right next to it. Your statement about retail price including shipping is a gross generalization and doesn't apply to most manufacturers. It might apply to the Japanese ones but I have never seen it applied to European and SE Asian ones.

Several people have reported ride away or in other words out the door price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You yourself mention ducument fees which typically includes license and title.

Triumph is not trying to dupe anyone. The retail price is always stated with an explanation of the other fees right next to it. Your statement about retail price including shipping is a gross generalization and doesn't apply to most manufacturers. It might apply to the Japanese ones but I have never seen it applied to European and SE Asian ones.

Several people have reported ride away or in other words out the door price.
Sorry, by document fees I meant what several dealers around my area try to pull, and that is they tack on an extra $100-200 to "cover" the work involved with creating, copying, filing, etc., literally the paperwork that you sign when you buy the bike. :rolleyes:

Like, seriously,that should be figured into the basic calculations needed before you price something in order to run a business without a loss. The only reason dealerships do this kind of thing is to cash in on unsuspecting/uneducated buyers. At the point in time these buyers are given this information about the "extra" fees, usually right before they sign the dotted line, they have arrived at a mental decision that they have purchased the bike. The chance that they will back out because of a surprise $xxx amount of dollars is at odds.

This is why they do it, and it is slimey practice.

I must have missed or not understood the "ride away" comments. I've always heard/used "out the door" or OTD.

This is my first non japanese bike, and I didn't buy this one new, so maybe shipping is considered separate from the MSRP price on euro bikes. I still think that is kinda crazy... I think it defeats the point of what MSRP as a guideline is for, a single simple ballpark figure that is around what one would expect to see at the dealership.

Regardless, it's up to the buyer to be educated and make smart decisions. I've traveled a couple of hours away before to out of town dealerships to avoid this kind of thing and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In my case I service my motorcycles myself so having a good relationship with a dealer isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I paid 10500$+taxes for my new 2012 R, the dealer doesn't charge shipping or any other fees. They just sell it at mrsp, they cut 300$ of mine lol. I'm in Canada and this was the best price I've found in around 5-6 dealers. Triumph dealers from what I've noticed don't do any deals on there bikes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most of you are lucky. In Malta, I bought my standard street for 10,800 euros and the R is 12,300 euros!!!!:mad: Bloody registration tax!!!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Like I said; if dealers have lots in stock then you may get a deal. I bought mine late in the season last year and the dealer knocked $1000 off the Canadian MSRP. Of course he got it back with the 'shipping charges' and other fees. Everyone thinks the dealers are evil and are trying to screw every customer they sell a bike to, but running a business profitably can be difficult and profit margins are slim. If a dealer does get too greedy he won't be selling too many bikes. I have also heard that the MSRP does not include shipping charges which can be a large expense these days for a manufacturer to absorb. I am amazed that we get the very fine cars and motorcycles they produce these days as cheaply as we do. I remember the high-priced crap we had to buy in decades past. - Wayne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seattle Price

I just picked up my Street Triple R out the door last weekend for $11.4K. I didnt think that was a deal so I called the 2 other dealers in the area and both told me they wouldn't get a 2012 R until the Sept. There were 2 guys waiting behind me if I let it go, so I snapped it up at that price. I had spent all morning test riding various bikes and this one was the one that handled the freeway the best, with almost no wind buffeting until 85 mph and it was the only one that made me smile the whole test ride. I think some of the guys were a little surprised the one R that went out the door that day was driven off by a girl:D.

While the black metallic flake paint is ok the gold wheels are not my taste. I would have preferred white, but the grin test won me over. Plus, near as I can tell I may be the only 2012 R in Puget Sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just picked up my Street Triple R out the door last weekend for $11.4K. I didnt think that was a deal so I called the 2 other dealers in the area and both told me they wouldn't get a 2012 R until the Sept. There were 2 guys waiting behind me if I let it go, so I snapped it up at that price. I had spent all morning test riding various bikes and this one was the one that handled the freeway the best, with almost no wind buffeting until 85 mph and it was the only one that made me smile the whole test ride. I think some of the guys were a little surprised the one R that went out the door that day was driven off by a girl:D.

While the black metallic flake paint is ok the gold wheels are not my taste. I would have preferred white, but the grin test won me over. Plus, near as I can tell I may be the only 2012 R in Puget Sound.
I kind of like the black/gold wheel combo, except for keeping the gold clean looking, ha.. I have an '09 standard, and in my area I've only seen one other street triple (r or standard) ever. They are definitely rare compared to just about every other bike.

Have fun on the new machine!

·
Registered
658 Posts

About the same for me. Mine is a 2011, the 2012's weren't in yet in April. Prefer the phantom black w/ gold rims (from I90 Issaquah). After the demo ride they had me. I like the gold rims so everything is not all black. Maybe our paths will cross on the way to Fall City one of these days?

Oh, I went out to KFG Racing in Auburn near Pacific Raceways and the guy set up my suspension for street riding perfectly....$40.... money well spent. I recommend and you will like the result. If by chance the bike already is optimum for your size... he will tell you that, do nothing, and no charge.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts