Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this game and wondered if anyone has experience of the Street Triple and Street Triple R, who can advise on the relative riding position of the two bikes.

I'm going to buy one of the two once I've passed my test. I haven't ridden either yet, which will obviously be the best test but I am interested to hear what your views are.

I had a lower back operation a few years ago which does give me problems from time to time and I'm interested to know if there's a real difference in the riding position on the two bikes. I don't want to be too hunched over the front wheel, due to pressure on my lower spine.

The specs suggest that the R has a more aggressive riding position but I'd like to know from you, real people!!

Thanks for any help you can offer. By the way, I'm in the UK, on the south coast.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Riding Position

Hello,
I have sat on both the Street Triple and Triple R. I had read that about the R as well. I had a chance to choose which one I wanted and I went with the less expensive Triple. To me the riding position is very normal, I don't feel like i am leaned forward at all, and I feel quite tall in the saddle. I previously have only ridden cruisers and the only difference in riding position that I can really tell is that my legs seem tucked back a lil. It took a little bit of time to get used to for me, but the bike was worth it and I have been quite comfortable on it. I have about 150 miles on my bike and have owned it just over a week. The weather here in Iowa is iffy at best, but once it hits 50 or so I am out there! THe R to me might be a lil more leaned forward, but am not sure how much of a noticible difference there is. I'm sure you could prob look at the geometry through cycle world or motorcyclist somehow. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for your reply, that's really helpful. Out of interest, why did you go for the non-R version? I have the same decision to make!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Take a stroll through the forums a bit more.

I believe there have been threads regarding this very question of riding position.

Also, as far as I can remember, it was pointed out that the riding positions are identical (although the bike itself is leaned forward more, not riding position).

·
Registered
30 Posts
No problems here

Hi,

I have the R and to me the riding position seems pretty upright and relaxed. I think the difference between the two bikes must be pretty minimal since my brief sit on a non-R at the dealers didn't leave me thinking that it felt all that different.

As it is a health issue in your case, you really need to try out both bikes before deciding. I'm finding my R to be the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, for what it's worth. I'm finding the supspension to be too stiff ( which does cause bumps to go right through me ) but I am planning on softening the settings as soon as the weather gets better ( still on standard settings and am a lightweight rider ).

Like I said, since you have a medical problem the best advice is to try before you buy, though generally the R riding position is not what I would call extreme.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gazzyb, that's very helpful. I'd love to go for the R, it's not much extra cash for some great part upgrades. I do need to be careful though so will check them both out thoroughly before I buy. Adjustable suspension appeals since I'll be able to get it just right to optimise the ride for my back.

Cheers and happy (safe!) riding.
Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply, that's really helpful. Out of interest, why did you go for the non-R version? I have the same decision to make!

Well, to be honest I am a cheap sob... lol. I debated alot between the two to be honest, but I wasn't all that convinced the R was better for the money. It is a great bike and looking back now, I might have done it but I love my bike. I had never ridden my own sport bike before, and i wasn't 100 percent sure if i would like it or not. Before I used my bikes as tools for getting back and forth and this purchase was more for fun. Reguardless of which bike you choose do it cause it's the one you want, you'll get alot more enjoyment out of the bike. I got mine cause I thought it was cheaper, and i thought eventually i'd prob move up to the speed. Now looking back I think the street is bike enough and will prob end up keeping it for some time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Follow up post - R suspension

Hi,
just wanted to let you know that the weather was good this weekend and I was able to tinker with the suspension settings on my R to try to improve the ride quality. I set all settings to the recommended "soft" settings in the R supplement to the manual ( no preload changes, all just compression and rebound damping - so you just need a screwdriver ! ) and went for a five hour ride yesterday. The ride is totally transformed, the bike reacts to surfaces like I would expect a bike to react whereas before it just felt rigid. So for everyday riding on dodgy roads the soft settings seem to be the way to go. I could imagine the bike might get a bit wallowy under hard riding now, especially when the suspension units start getting hot, but if I ever do a trackday it only requires a couple of clicks all round to get back to sportier settings.
So don't worry about the ride quality hurting your back either. The ride is fine now and if you needed to you could set the bike up even softer ( I still have 3-4 clicks to go even softer ).
I would imagine the stock settings on the R would be too hard for smaller riders ( < 70 kg ), certainly in my experience on everyday roads with potholes they made the ride very uncomfortable initially.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much Gazzy, that's so helpful.

I understand that the suspension of the regular Street can't be altered so this is a really important factor for me. Really kind of you to let me know about the ride quality, very comforting to know.

I'll keep you updated once my decision and purchase is made.

Thanks again
Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
No problem Matt, glad to be of assistance - good luck !

I've also read elsewhere that lowering the tyre pressures ( especially the rear which is "supposed" to be a whopping 2.9 Bar on the R ! ) can help improve the ride comfort, so that would be another option if you decided to get the regular Street and found the ride too harsh.

Dunlop suggests a figure of 2.3 Bar front and rear for the Street so maybe Triumph's seemingly high tyre pressure recommendations are part of the problem. Certainly people who run 2.3 - 2.5 Bar on the rear have reported a smoother ride but so far I am sticking to the Triumph recommendations and since the weekend I am happy with the results.

Sorry we went from riding position to suspension settings in one thread but when I read about your back problem it did occur to me that I often felt in danger of damaging my spine every time I went through a pothole or over a speed bump, so just thought it was worth mentioning :)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Lowering tire pressure would not be a very good alternative to suspension adjustment! Substituting a marginal difference in comfort for the correct cross-sectional profile of your tires is a bad trade-off. Some of us found early on that tire pressure is rather critical on this bike, so it's far better that someone who wants ride comfort should achieve it through suspension settings, if they can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
iI also find the ride of the stock R settings to be a little harsh. Harsher than I expected for certain.

I'm sure at high speed/hard cornering the stock settings are great, but for trundling around town and the garbage roads we have here in North Jersey this time of year, i'm gonna give the soft settings a try as per the reccomendation above. After all, thats why i bought the R in the first place, so I was never stuck with "one setting to rule them all". :D

i'm 186lbs, for what its worth.

R now has 586mi. on it, going to schedule first service ASAP.

·
Registered
267 Posts
No difference in ride position at all (from what I noticed, after JUST sitting on them < 40 minutes ago).

The ride height on the R is negligibly higher.
I was able to flat foot on the standard and almost flat foot on the R (my heels were less than half an inch off the ground).

I'm 5'11" with a 31.5" in seam.
And, I'm almost positive that the Street Triple R does have a comfier and better seat than the Standard version. I'm almost 99.99% sure it's a different, and more comfortable, seat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whats up guys

I know its been awhile since someone posted but I wanted to put in my two cents. I own a Street Triple R and I love it! Great bike through and through....have been riding since I was 12 years old. I just recently bought my first Triumph at the age of 29. I'm 6'2" with a 32 to 33 inch inseam.

The ride height of the bike and the ride position of the bike is fantastic. Its aggressive, as it should be, but without making you feel hunched over. What I have found to be uncomfortable is the seat. Some say their rear ends go numb after 100 miles while others say what I have experienced, which is the seat on the Triples tend to push you forward. This forces you to ride up on the tank of the bike. Some riders like it. For me, this is when the bike becomes uncomfortable. Reason being, it changes your riding position. If you read some of the threads many people complain about the seat on the Street Triples.

Nonetheless, here is an article written by Sargent on riding positions. Thought it might help with what I am trying to explain. I am stating the obvious here.... but different classes of bikes are made to ride different. LOL! IMO, the "Urban Sport" bikes will offer you the best riding position for your back. My dad, a chiropractor agrees = ) Also take into consideration you'll be able to adjust the suspension on the R. There are different settings you can adjust the bike, giving you the amount of feed back, or pre-load, from the road you are comfortable with. In respects to your weight etc.

Honestly, you can't go wrong on either the Triple or the Triple R. My advice is drive them and pick the one you feel best on....its the only way to truly find what fits you. Also consider what type of riding you will do. Long trips or just driving around town. Good luck and enjoy.

best and safe riding

jon

http://www.sargentcycle.com/csroadcom.htm

·
Registered
70 Posts
cool read from the Sargent site thx!

I am going through this kind of debate now.... Looking at either a speedmaster or a Triple R. 1st bike was a Ninja 500...quite comfy for 3 hr journeys. Upgraded to a Daytona 675.....which proved to be mild torture after a bit. I was in the middle of figuring ways to make the 675 more comy when it was stolen :-(

I have sat on both Triple and Triple R and as it was already mentioned...R is is a TAD higher.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Fit a set of these and you ll have no problems. Renthal "Low Bars". So comfy ,no stooping over and no cable replacment required.
;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
As it is a health issue in your case, you really need to try out both bikes before deciding. I'm finding my R to be the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, for what it's worth. I'm finding the supspension to be too stiff ( which does cause bumps to go right through me ) but I am planning on softening the settings as soon as the weather gets better ( still on standard settings and am a lightweight rider ).

I also have the striple r and went to the dealer for suspension adjustment, and a lightweight at 140 lbs. They said they could do nothing for me because the setting were already maxed out for the stock suspensions.( wanted it softer, i too felt the bumps thru my body). They suggested change to Ohlins, etc. , if I wanted better suspension.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts