Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Hopefully someone may have encountered this before.
I bought a Street Triple 675 in Switzerland and the battery seems to drain after a week or so.
Also the LED indicators were blinking fast.
I assumed this blinking was due to resistors needing to be installed.
On further inspection, resistors are already there and the triumph blinker relay has been changed for a hellerman led relay,
I put my multimeter in series with the battery (with the bike off)and when the fuse for the horn/blinkers is in it is drawing 1.4 milliamps and when this fuse is removed zero milliamps,

I bought and installed normal bulb indicators, but now only the rear indicators are blinking.
Does anyone know if I will have to replace the led relay for a standard one?
(I fear there are further issues with the wiring as the drawing I am following has different colours for the front indicators)
If someone has a photo of a Haynes manual for this relay i would also greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Two things; assuming a lead acid battery of around 8ah capacity then it will power the 1.4 milliamps for 8 or 9 months or so before going flat, so is the battery OK. Secondly the resistors aren't needed if an led relay is fitted so the led relay might be damaged by the excessive current draw. I'd change things so you either have led indicators (no resistors) and led relay (only a couple of pounds) or standard indicators and relay, plus check the battery voltage to see if it's charging then go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tim,

Yes I bought a new battery when it went flat the first time. And charged the old one as a spare both are good.

Yes I much prefer the original look so I think what I need to do next is get a standard relay,

Does anyone know on the front blinkers of there should be a junction box? Is this where the signal is carried from the rear and to the instrument cluster? I don't know if this is something that was added (resistor) or is original!

The wiring has been modified for the led relay (and in a very unprofessional manner)

Thanks again

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone know on the front blinkers of there should be a junction box? Is this where the signal is carried from the rear and to the instrument cluster? I don't know if this is something that was added (resistor) or is original!

The wiring has been modified for the led relay (and in a very unprofessional manner)
Looking at the wiring schematic, the relay feeds the switch, and the switch selects front/rear left or front/rear right. Each front/rear feed also connects to the instrument light. The wiring should not have been modified for the led relay if it is a two pin device. An earth may nave been added for a three pin device so bin that off. The resisitors should just go across the supply/return for the left and right side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and photos Tim, this is exactly what I needed. Yes the previous owner just put crimped connectors into the factory connector so I will have to get a connector and mounting clip for a normal relay. I will follow up with pictures to explain

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Attached is the junction box mentioned above. Can someone confirm that this isn't a original part of the front indicator wiring. I have installed a standard blinker relay but I am still not getting any flashes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help.
The other cables coming off the indicator was what was causing the issue.
Everything is functioning perfect now,
And looking a lot tidier 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts