Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first proper post. Been lurking without an account for years and want to say thanks for all the useful information I've gleaned so far.

I'm hoping for some advice; I have a 2010 Street Triple that will not start. Clutch in, bike in neutral, stand up - when I hit the starter button the relay near the battery clicks, that's it, no crank. You can hear the pump prime etc but no dice. The headlights do also dim when pushing the starter button as it should.

How the problem developed:
- Went for a 400km ride and stopped for petrol, turned the bike off. When I went to start it, crank was slow but it started.
- Got pulled over for a license check, turned off the bike. Went to turn it on, no start - just the click. Managed to tow start the bike with a 1200GS and rode it home (thanks kind sir). Am able to bump start it as well.

Things I have tried so far:

- Replaced the Reg/Rec with one from a donor bike (my model is part of the recall, but the local dealer wont honour it, and want to charge me USD200 plus 2 weeks for a MOSFET). No change, same problem.
- Tried a new battery. Previous battery is only 2 months old anyway, but swapped it with a new one just in case - Yuasa 12BX I think, the recommended model. No change.
- Shorting the starter relay - put a screwdriver across the battery leads on the relay, no crank - but I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly tbh.

Things to consider:
- I had a loose clutch lever switch 2 months ago which prevented start - I reseated this and haven't had problems since. However, when this was a problem there was no click from the relay; just zero start.
- My horn is incredibly faint - I was thinking perhaps there is a bad earth on that part of the harness? It is almost inaudible, and has been a problem for a few months. I looked through every post I could find on the forum and this seems like it could be the problem.

I don't have a multimeter but am trying to borrow one to run some more detailed diagnostics. I'm pretty broke and she is my daily driver - here in Johannesburg we have the official Triumph dealers but I am looking at USD100 just to find out what the problem is, which I can't afford currently. I do all my own mechanical work but am a complete noob with electric stuff.

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated, as currently I am not mobile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have the tank off now and trying to trace the wiring from the horn. Can anyone offer some guidance?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, on the plus side, the issue has been identified; fried starter.

With the tank off, when pressing the start button, you can hear an unhealthy gurgle from the starter motor. That, combined with the fact that the bike can be bump started, but wont start by shorting the relay, seems to be decisive. Triumph local don't stock them, and I'm not keen to replace it with a refurbished part given the possibility for failure.

I'm going to order one from rick's in a couple weeks when I have the money together. Hopefully this thread can assist someone with a similar problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: have a new working starter, but it's a nightmare trying to get the damn starter bolts off. One is fine, and the other is stripped. If anyone has advice as to how to get it out it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe cut a slit into the bolt with a dremel and use a flathead screwdriver to remove it, or get a stripped bolt extraction drill bit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys

First of all, thanks for all the help on here and for everyone who posted.

Updating this late, but this problem was resolved as follows. It turns out that the Reg/Rec failure had somehow fried the starter motor as well, and the replacement Reg/Rec was also faulty.

Replaced the Reg/Rec with the newer model and the starter motor, and she is back to running as normal :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts