Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a side luggage mount for the Triumph Street Scrambler that is compatible with the stock rack? I'd rather keep it and add on some sort of side case/pannier mount for the left side.

Don't want to ruin the look of the bike but at this point, luggage space is something that would really help for commuting. The only options I've seen are from Hepco and Becker (which are allegedly incompatible with the stock rack), and some German brand (can't remember the name right now). Would very much prefer a lockable, weatherproof hard case, rather than something like the OEM pannier that I've heard has durability/security issues.

At this point, it seems like fabricating something myself might be the only viable option.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi JLee
Same conundrum I faced. I have a SS with the optional steel luggage rack, which is what I assume you mean?

I wanted a left side bag for my SS and although I liked the look of the Triumph wax cotton bag, the mounting system was a pia, so much so I returned it. The little clips under the seat required removal to mount the bag, when empty it flopped around on the rail too much for my tastes.

I liked the SW Motech Legend gear and in particular the LC 2, 13.8L bag, which mounts on to a little, unobtrusive rack mounted to the bike with a clever mounting system. I did not want a strap mount version either. The problem is that the SWM rack designed for the SS is not compatible with the rear luggage rack frame, as it uses the same mounting points. But there is a fix....

The SWM rack designed for the 2016- T100 Black has a near identical luggage rack, but mounts to to the T100 luggage frame using the optional grab rail mounting points. (See here http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/c...Tshowrub--products.legendgear&typid=286719520)

And therein lies the solution for the SS with the rear luggage rack. All it takes is a drill and ability to insert some captive rivet nuts (easily done with the right tool) and voila!

Hopefully the picture here sho what I mean and the net result.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I should point out that this is not a lockable bag as per your original question, but with a shoulder strap is easily carried off when parked up for commuting purposes, as I do.

One thing I did consider was buying a second bag to butcher and use the bag’s mounting system to adapt a small lockable hard case, or even the Triumph wax cotton case. I didn’t, as i like the Lgend Gear look and function, but it’s an option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave,

Looks great! I saw that setup but also read that it wasn't compatible with the oem rack. That's some innovation though.

I was considering doing the same thing, where I would frankenstein the mounting to a hard case, but figured the cost would be much and it's a high risk project (possibly ruining a perfectly good bag and hard case). Happy Trails makes luggage for the Scrambler, but only the air cooled variant.

A hard, locking case is what I had in mind, so I'll likely have to stick to my original plan of fabricating a rack. Won't be overly complicated but might take a bit before I have the chance to do that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was able to get the Givi rear rack to work with the original SS seat, it's for their Dolomiti 46l top case. They also make compatible side case racks for the t120. I've been wondering if the left side rack for the t120 could be persuaded to fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was able to get the Givi rear rack to work with the original SS seat, it's for their Dolomiti 46l top case. They also make compatible side case racks for the t120. I've been wondering if the left side rack for the t120 could be persuaded to fit.
Be keen to see more pics of your givi rack with the dolomiti on and how you find it. Currently have a Tiger XRx with dolomiti side cases, contemplating a street scrambler but worried about loosing too much carrying capacity. Like the idea of the givi rack you have, it is for the street twin correct? Only mods were two new longer bolts?

Cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good to see there is a solution possible. I have the rack specific from SW Motech and the LC! bag knowing I may have to forgo my current OEM luggage rack in order to get a clean install. I am planing to do some sort of combination mod to repurpose the rack after I see what my options are. The rack I have ordered according to instructions will mount a bracket in the threaded from point where the front of the left side rack now fits. Seems sharing that point might be an option as I would prefer NOT to attach anything to the top of the shock mounting.

To further complicate my install I have removed the expensive FOX shocks and put the ones back on that came with the bike. I am not sure the FOX will work with the side bag I want very much to use. I have the Legend magnetic tang bag and I'd like all the soft stuff to be matching for that vintage look and consistency. Yep , OCD is my middle initials LOL I will post up on here if I find a satisfactory solution as the Legend package from Twisted Throttle should arrive on Wednesday I think. BTW , I have the grey rack version as well as the grey engine bars so I'm trying to end up with a clean look.

FWIW, I mounted a GIVI top box on the rack and it can be mounted quickly for those occasions when looks be dammed and you need to car a pizza home on the bike but will be the first to admit any of the great GIVI top boxes are too modern for this great looking bike. Possibly the Dolomite would be a solution with a less offensive compromise. I even considered surplus AMMO boxes since my SS has the dull green MILSPEC color way.

Reactions: Wolfmanhawaii

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good to see there is a solution possible. I have the rack specific from SW Motech and the LC! bag knowing I may have to forgo my current OEM luggage rack in order to get a clean install. I am planing to do some sort of combination mod to repurpose the rack after I see what my options are. The rack I have ordered according to instructions will mount a bracket in the threaded from point where the front of the left side rack now fits. Seems sharing that point might be an option as I would prefer NOT to attach anything to the top of the shock mounting.

To further complicate my install I have removed the expensive FOX shocks and put the ones back on that came with the bike. I am not sure the FOX will work with the side bag I want very much to use. I have the Legend magnetic tang bag and I'd like all the soft stuff to be matching for that vintage look and consistency. Yep , OCD is my middle initials LOL I will post up on here if I find a satisfactory solution as the Legend package from Twisted Throttle should arrive on Wednesday I think. BTW , I have the grey rack version as well as the grey engine bars so I'm trying to end up with a clean look.

FWIW, I mounted a GIVI top box on the rack and it can be mounted quickly for those occasions when looks be dammed and you need to car a pizza home on the bike but will be the first to admit any of the great GIVI top boxes are too modern for this great looking bike. Possibly the Dolomite would be a solution with a less offensive compromise. I even considered surplus AMMO boxes since my SS has the dull green MILSPEC color way.
Stixx
You can use the OEM steel rack as long as you use the SW Motech rack for the T100 like I did and fit the LC1 or LC2 bag.
Just need to drill two holes at add captive rivet nuts.
Also, bonus is you could still retain the Fox piggyback shocks with a couple of spacers. With the SWM rack specifically for the SS, you can’t.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stixx
You can use the OEM steel rack as long as you use the SW Motech rack for the T100 like I did and fit the LC1 or LC2 bag.
Just need to drill two holes at add captive rivet nuts.
Also, bonus is you could still retain the Fox piggyback shocks with a couple of spacers. With the SWM rack specifically for the SS, you can’t.
When you say the rack for the T 100 do you mean the SW Motech rack, I assume, and also do you mean the current T 100 or the air cooled version. ??

·
Registered
82 Posts
When you say the rack for the T 100 do you mean the SW Motech rack, I assume, and also do you mean the current T 100 or the air cooled version. ??
Yes, the SW Motech side frame for the T100 or T120, i.e. its designed to mount a bike with the OEM rear rack or grab rail. It mounts onto the grab rail and on the outside of the upper shock mount. So with a minor modification, you can mount this to a SS or ST with a rear steel rack.

The SWM frame for the ST or SS mounts under the seat and inside the upper rear shock mount. It’s also why there is no way that this set up will accommodate the Fox piggyback shocks.

On the other hand, the alternate mounting from the T100 can be spaced out enough to accommodate the Fox piggyback shocks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, the SW Motech side frame for the T100 or T120, i.e. its designed to mount a bike with the OEM rear rack or grab rail. It mounts onto the grab rail and on the outside of the upper shock mount. So with a minor modification, you can mount this to a SS or ST with a rear steel rack.

The SWM frame for the ST or SS mounts under the seat and inside the upper rear shock mount. It’s also why there is no way that this set up will accommodate the Fox piggyback shocks.

On the other hand, the alternate mounting from the T100 can be spaced out enough to accommodate the Fox piggyback shocks.
Dave , I like very much your solution , and as it is I had already ordered the bracket for the SS which works just fine without a rack. right now I'm evaluating if I need a rack as getting on and off the center stand I can use the rack for the bag in the same way I used the rack and since I use the bike solo there is already a small rack in place and no pillion seat in place.

I do like to keep my options open so I've ordered the bracket for the current T 100 and will try and use your method to attach it to the OEM luggage rack since I can't return it anyway . I looked up the rev nuts and they have them in various sizes at Grangers here in Atlanta and apparently you can install them without the expensive tool if your take care so I'm going to give it a shot . Since I have a fully bagged out GS and lots of dry bags I don't really need a second bike that hauls the kitchen sink and I think this current rig is actually all I should need but let's face it, it is not done until it is over done and I now really want to try and see if I can make a neat job of the rivet nuts , Seems like maybe the thing to do would have been to fit the T 120 luggage rack and bar to begin with then add the bag. If I am thinking I made one mistake it was in ordering the smaller legend bag. Should have gone with the larger one. I am sure I can return that part though and might do that although my idea for this build was to keep it all minimalistic

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stixx, Like you I also have a fully loaded GSA, so I guess I started out trying to make too much space to load/pack stuff, when I have a perfect touring bike. Rear steel rack, plus the SWM side rack and their larger Legend bag (the 13.5L LC2).

There’s an explanation and some pictures of what I did to my install on the OEM back included in this thread http://www.triumphrat.net/water-coo...7-street-scrambler-storage-advice-needed.html.

I then decided I had too much stuff on a bike that meant to be minimalist, plus it started to look more like a touring version of the ST, not the look I wanted. So I took off the rear rack, put back the original seat and little luggage plate, installed the proper SWM rack and that’s what I have now. The only compromise was to mount a givi tray on the rear seat luggage tray so I can put my Givi box on when I head into the office.

When I removed the rear rack, I managed to do so with the SMW side rack still attached as w unit, so to swap it back whenever I feel the need is a quick and easy job with a few bolts.

The current result is this:

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Back to you dave

hi jlee
same conundrum i faced. I have a ss with the optional steel luggage rack, which is what i assume you mean?

I wanted a left side bag for my ss and although i liked the look of the triumph wax cotton bag, the mounting system was a pia, so much so i returned it. The little clips under the seat required removal to mount the bag, when empty it flopped around on the rail too much for my tastes.

I liked the sw motech legend gear and in particular the lc 2, 13.8l bag, which mounts on to a little, unobtrusive rack mounted to the bike with a clever mounting system. I did not want a strap mount version either. The problem is that the swm rack designed for the ss is not compatible with the rear luggage rack frame, as it uses the same mounting points. But there is a fix....

The swm rack designed for the 2016- t100 black has a near identical luggage rack, but mounts to to the t100 luggage frame using the optional grab rail mounting points. (see here http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/c...tshowrub--products.legendgear&typid=286719520)

and therein lies the solution for the ss with the rear luggage rack. All it takes is a drill and ability to insert some captive rivet nuts (easily done with the right tool) and voila!

Hopefully the picture here sho what i mean and the net result.

Cheers
ok
i'm liking your idea and using caps to help you see my question with all the info. I installed as a temp fix the proper mount for ss and just leaving off my luggage rack for now. Next i am looking at some rivet nuts and realized that a riv nut for an m8/ 1.25 is pretty huge for the tubing of the rack and wondered if you used an m6 or smaller size fastner to drill out your mounts. Please advise . Also i don't have the tool but found on youtube a manual way of doing small quantities like this with spanners so that will be my method .

Hope to see you post soon.

Stixx

·
Registered
82 Posts
ok
i'm liking your idea and using caps to help you see my question with all the info. I installed as a temp fix the proper mount for ss and just leaving off my luggage rack for now. Next i am looking at some rivet nuts and realized that a riv nut for an m8/ 1.25 is pretty huge for the tubing of the rack and wondered if you used an m6 or smaller size fastner to drill out your mounts. Please advise . Also i don't have the tool but found on youtube a manual way of doing small quantities like this with spanners so that will be my method .

Hope to see you post soon.

Stixx
The M8 nut requires an 11mm hole if i recall correctly. It’s big but not too big, the steel tubing is thick enough walled that it’s not an issue at all.
As for the tools and rivet nuts, you can order sets on Amazon or E-bay pretty cheap, they are Chinese and not the best quality, but for home and hobby applications they work just fine. Or the spanner option works too.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
What a co incidence

This is funny , seems we think a bit alike. I too prefer the single seat and want to get it covered in a brown leather soon. I think I will forgo the OEM rack and just hang on to it for a later change up. The legend rack as installed functions fine with the new Bag with the only caviat being I probably should have gone with the larger bag. All in though I may order a GIVI aluminum rack and drill it to fit the OEM pad behind the seat to make it possible to carry a dry bag of camping gear and also to slap on one of my GIVI top boxes to go to the grocery store while leaving the bike for the most part in its more simple status.

This has been a good exercise and saved me a lot of needless fussing about to which I am thankful for your input and the forum in general.

cheers

ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stixx, Like you I also have a fully loaded GSA, so I guess I started out trying to make too much space to load/pack stuff, when I have a perfect touring bike. Rear steel rack, plus the SWM side rack and their larger Legend bag (the 13.5L LC2).

There’s an explanation and some pictures of what I did to my install on the OEM back included in this thread http://www.triumphrat.net/water-coo...7-street-scrambler-storage-advice-needed.html.

I then decided I had too much stuff on a bike that meant to be minimalist, plus it started to look more like a touring version of the ST, not the look I wanted. So I took off the rear rack, put back the original seat and little luggage plate, installed the proper SWM rack and that’s what I have now. The only compromise was to mount a givi tray on the rear seat luggage tray so I can put my Givi box on when I head into the office.

When I removed the rear rack, I managed to do so with the SMW side rack still attached as w unit, so to swap it back whenever I feel the need is a quick and easy job with a few bolts.

Couldn't help but notice you are running the two into one Vance and Hines and looks like the racing header as well with the de cat on there. So , how about a little info on your take on that set up as well while we have you captured in this well asked and answered thread on bag mounting technique.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I know we’re on a Triumph forum, and I’m about to use a Moto Guzzi scrambler as a related application, but I ALSO have a Bonnie, so hope this is OK...

My V7II Stornello scrambler has a high right-side exhaust much like yours. So I went with a one-bag solution. I used a Hepco-Becker sidebag rail, and went with Mosko Moto for a pannier plate and 25L bag. It’s a great setup and field-tested for travel. Has worked flawlessly.

Mosko makes GREAT, super-functional, totally bulletproof ADV kit. Really. If I did it over again, I would’ve sprung for the larger, 35L bag, because, well, just one bag. So limited volume. For more travel capacity, I’ve sometimes supplemented with a Kriega 20L tail bag that attaches via frame-mounted webbing straps, and with fast-click fasteners. Also good kit. Both totally waterproof, too.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Couldn't help but notice you are running the two into one Vance and Hines and looks like the racing header as well with the de cat on there. So , how about a little info on your take on that set up as well while we have you captured in this well asked and answered thread on bag mounting technique.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That V&H exhaust is actually from the ST high level exhaust option made and offered till the SS came out.
I wanted a decat, but did not like the welded look in the middle of the header being offered by FreeSpririts and Tec, so decided on the V&H.

It’s an easy enough install and this exhaust can fit any of the 900 and 1200 WC range.

My comments on the exhaust:
No need for a flash tune, the ECU figures it out well enough.
No real increase in power, but pick up is improved enough to be noticed.
It’s louder than stock of course, I like the sound, but recognise it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. It has a raw edge that is classic.
Fit is fine, except the rear hanger arrangement means the silencer sticks out more than the std pipes or SS specific V&H slip on. It’s not a bad fit, but I might look at improving it. The problem is it uses the rear shock mount to hang from rather then the SS specific mounting point and the bend in the connector pipe is not quite right. But I’m just being fussy.
Heat shielding is good and even standing in traffic, I’ve not noticed it being a risk of burning my right leg. If anything, it runs cooler than the stock cat box.

If you want a decat with stock look, then the alternatives noted above are available. Meerkat in Australia did a job for Davey Gravey on here where they gutted the internals and put in a divider plate inside the now empty can, which seems to have worked well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I’ve just installed the Hepco&Becker Street Scrambler specific C-Bow carrier to my SS this weekend.

I purchased the C-Bow carrier and a single side Orbit case, as well as the inner bag specific to the Orbit case.

Being German the fit and finish is as you would expect. Second to none.

The Orbit cases are lockable and waterproof. They also lock to the C-Bow carrier.

The little inner bag makes packing ahead of time and leaving the bike with said packed items a cinch.

When installed, the OEM mini rack and plastic bits go right back on like stock.

At 22L it is a good size and I really like that it locks.

I wish it were a little tighter to the bike but the distance might actually allow for the FOX shocks upgrade to work, fingers crossed.

The only thing I dislike is the slightly obnoxious Hepco&Becker logo on the orbit case. Its a chrome rhino.

I used the blue protective vinyl that the Orbit case shipped with, which was conveniently the exact size of the branding plate, as a jig to cut out some black duct tape that I had laying around. I strongly dislike branding so this worked great.

I got the whole setup from MotoMachines, which is Hepco&Becker’s North America distributor.

The total was $370 with free shipping for all three pieces.

Having just sold the SW Motech Blaze saddlebag system from my Thruxton that I will no longer tour on for $350, it was a no brainer and I am very happy with the purchase.

I fully intend on purchasing their SS specific solo rack so I can mount the Orbit Top Case as well which should hold all my camping gear no problem at 54L, though a pricey endeavor for another day.

Just saw this thread and do not have any photos at this time however I will take some and report back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts