Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been answered many times but my search mojo has abandoned me.

I'll not come up with reasons why I was low on petrol, let's just put it down to bad planning/stupidity.

Anyway, I found myself on 0 about a mile before the petrol station and made it there ok. As I put 13.8 litres into my supposedly 12 litre tank, I was clearly quite low... but I'm wondering if anyone has experimented (either deliberately or through similar bad planning) to discover how much of a margin there is after 0 miles are showing.

I was clearly being light on the throttle to ensure I got there as, as soon as I filled up, the bike range shot up to 175 miles

And a few miles later as I continued to take it gently it peaked at 180 miles to go!

A while back I did an experiment in my son's car which has both a fuel guage with warning light and a countdown mileage showing on the optional integrated VW sat nav. After the light on the fuel guage came on, I managed 55 miles before the digital gauge showed 0. After that I managed a further 50 miles before running out and having to grab the fuel can from the back.

I know I'll not have 50 miles on the SS when it shows zero but it would be nice to know how close to pushing it I am.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see it now, good luck
That was pretty much it, and yes, I did ride past 2 petrol stations (one when I was showing 7 miles, one where I was showing 1 mile) as I was determined to make it to the less expensive station...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know what the miles left might be, but I had my Street Scrambler cut in and out on me Tuesday as I was rolling out of Las Vegas, modest upgrade. I made for the nearest gas station, put in 3.064 gallons of fuel. Tank capacity is 3.2 gallons. I had planned on stopping at a gas station a little further along...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what the miles left might be, but I had my Street Scrambler cut in and out on me Tuesday as I was rolling out of Las Vegas, modest upgrade. I made for the nearest gas station, put in 3.064 gallons of fuel. Tank capacity is 3.2 gallons. I had planned on stopping at a gas station a little further along...
As I put in about 3.5 gallons (US) I suspect you'd have made it :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did it back in the summer. Although I think there's some anomaly on my non-scientific method. I got 22-ish km after 0 on the computer. This was with stop and go Vancouver city traffic. I was very lucky. Pretty scary experience though, as I ran out of gas a block away from the nearest gas station. Had to duck walk the bike as it sputters in/out as we went downhill to the gas station.

Interestingly enough, I only got to fill about 11.1L of my 12L tank. Man I wish I took a picture of it. This makes me wonder if this is the reason why I only get max 170km/tank.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What is it with us ? We all have that little devil in our heads that say ‘Go on push on a bit more, just to see’. Then I justify it by telling myself ‘You need to know....and you have your mobile to call one of your Sons to come out if you get stuck’.....
When your ‘bottle goes’ and you pull into the Petrol station to fill up. The feeling of relief is so good. Then you go past the next Petrol station 5 miles up the road and we then think .... I could have made it to here...... lol 😂

·
Registered
705 Posts
What is it with us ? We all have that little devil in our heads that say ‘Go on push on a bit more, just to see’. Then I justify it by telling myself ‘You need to know....and you have your mobile to call one of your Sons to come out if you get stuck’.....
When your ‘bottle goes’ and you pull into the Petrol station to fill up. The feeling of relief is so good. Then you go past the next Petrol station 5 miles up the road and we then think .... I could have made it to here...... lol 😂
I live near a motorway junction so all my local petrol stations are a rip-off, definitely avoid them to travel 5 miles to the nearest supermarket petrol station where it's 50p a gallon cheaper.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Some people have reported a very good mpg for the SS 900 - if ridden gently!

The way it's going here in the UK it won't be long before we're all on electric motorcycles! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I seem to be getting a good mpg on my SS900 but only have had it for 1 week. I used to have the 1200 cc T120 and the main benefit for me is how light in comparison the SS 900 versus the T120 (it is 46 Lbs lighter in weight by the way). Loving it.

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have ran out Twice and never put more than 12 litres in my Street Twin. Also 175 miles with 13.8 litres is around 58 mpg but 12 litres would be 66 miles mpg which would be a more reasonable mpg figure. I don't think I would use that garage again you need to check the tank capacity with another garage. I normally get around 10 litres when the light comes on which in my case is about 14-16 miles to litre or 63 to 72 mpg. The remaining 2 litres would yeild about 28 mores miles so 168 miles to a tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts