Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the part number for the rubber cushioned OEM style from JT sprockets, got it for $15 on Amazon Prime. Will report back!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone that wants a bit more punch, this is what I ordered:

Won't impact speedo, and will let the rear wheel slide a little bit backward, which will help keep the front end down from the additional acceleration. According to gearingcommander, it drops the top speed to 144mph or so, which is about as fast and you want to go on a bike with no wind protection anyway... Not even sure the bike has enough power to hit redline in 6th with stock gearing, due to wind resistance.

A lot of bikes, actually gain a mph or so in top speed with lowered gearing...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi there,
I did the conversion, from 16 to 15 teeth front sprocket.
....and I think is just right!
The OEM (16t) is too conservative. Maybe because the RS have the power higher in the revs, when you are really committed to go fast ( I have a 2019 RS).
The RPMs are just a little higher. About 500 rpms higher. It feels like 3rd gear is the right gear for almost any twisty road. It will get you going quicker when you want to RIP it.
I'm going to make to full 520 conversion when is time to get the crappy OEM chain out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool. I got the stock one off and everything set to just slap the new one on when Amazon delivers it tomorrow...

It's annoying that you have to remove the shift linkage to get the stupid sprocket cover off, but other than that a pretty straight forward job...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Make sure to install the 15t sprocket the right way.
When I first installed it, I installed backwards. The bike was shaking a lot. So I reversed it and instantly realized I had it backwards.
The right orientation will not have any free play whatsoever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been thinking of doing the same thing, the gearing always felt a touch tall on the street. You didn’t have to remove any links from the stock chain?

I just ordered one, this thread convinced me and at $13 bucks that’s a cheap mod for more fun.

·
Vendor
150 Posts
Assuming you're starting anywhere near the middle of the adjustment range, going down one front tooth shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been thinking of doing the same thing, the gearing always felt a touch tall on the street. You didn’t have to remove any links from the stock chain?

I just ordered one, this thread convinced me and at $13 bucks that’s a cheap mod for more fun.
No issue. It actually will move the rear tire back a few mm, as the 15t has a slightly smaller circumference, so it will have a little slack that you will need to take up by moving the rear tire back a tiny bit. Not an issue at all.

Stock,my bike's chain adjuster is dead center, so lots of adjustment left. On my Street Cup, the stock chain was already all the way back from the factory, so going to a -1 front sprocket had me replacing the chain and cutting it 2 links shorter than stock... But the Striple is fine. If you are out of adjustment range, then it means your chain is already hella-stretched and needs replacing anyway! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
No issue. It actually will move the rear tire back a few mm, as the 15t has a slightly smaller circumference, so it will have a little slack that you will need to take up by moving the rear tire back a tiny bit. Not an issue at all.

Stock,my bike's chain adjuster is dead center, so lots of adjustment left. On my Street Cup, the stock chain was already all the way back from the factory, so going to a -1 front sprocket had me replacing the chain and cutting it 2 links shorter than stock... But the Striple is fine. If you are out of adjustment range, then it means your chain is already hella-stretched and needs replacing anyway! :)
Excited to give this a try. I came from an FZ-09 before my Street Triple and miss the grunt down low.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raining all week here, but should be sunny and 60 on Sunday, so I will get to see how the new gearing feels this weekend...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Either. Not sure what the torque setting is. I just put it on tight enough, and it has a locking tab so it can't really come loose...

·
Registered
20 Posts
You mentioned it won’t impact the speedo? How so? I’m contemplating doing this to my 13 street triple. I bet that will affect the speedo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did this last year. It improves acceleration. There are no down sides. I did not use my impact gun. You do want to have a torque wrench for installation even with the locking ring. IIRC, the price from my dealer was negligible - 25 USD or so. As to the speedo, if you have ABS, it won't affect it. Speed is read from the ABS sensors on the wheels.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You mentioned it won’t impact the speedo? How so? I’m contemplating doing this to my 13 street triple. I bet that will affect the speedo.
It impacts older bikes because most older bikes pick up the speed off of the countershaft... so the calcs are done from there based on what the ECU knows the stock gearing to be... so when you change sprockets, it doesn't know that and the calculations are off, needing to be corrected with TuneECU or a SpeedHealer or something.

Newer bikes with ABS, pick up the actual speed from the wheel speed sensor, so gearing changes don't throw it off..

·
Registered
210 Posts
The torque setting for the front sprocket, on a 2019 RS, is 85 Nm (Newton meter). That could be the start.
If you call your dealer and ask them the torque setting, they'll give it to you.... all they have to do is look in the shop manual.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts