Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I remember reading somewhere that this is just normal, but my transmission makes a very raspy buzzing sound, almost like there is sand in the gears, or maybe ball bearings, or a swarm of bees.
I only get this sound when under power and it's loud enough to hear at freeway speeds.
I remember hearing it a bit when I first got it, but it seems to be getting louder.
Any reason to be worried or is just my S3 being an S3?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If it truly sounds like a swarm of bees, first I'd check my 6, you know, to make sure there's no bees, then I'd check my oil level. If that's fine, then you might have a problem. Mine's pretty quiet. Let some other people post before you do something drastic though.

[ This message was edited by: AlaskaS3 on 2007-02-07 01:52 ]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I rode yesterday after a few months of sitting and I swear I heard strange sounds when the throttle was open. I could not duplicate what I heard when the bike was in nutral only while riding and the throttle open did I hear this strange sound.

Any similarities?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you get a really good deal when you bought it?

They most likely left out the oil to make it up.

Kidding

·
Registered
51 Posts
One easy thing to miss is your chain. Give it a good cleaning and lube it up see if that helps.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The S3's a noisy bike, the noise you mentioned is new to me, but the chain could be the offender. You can always take it back to the dealer and have it looked at for peace of mind.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the oil and it's at the right level. Also listened at different speeds in different gears and the rpm makes no difference (only the speed) which leads me to believe that it is chain. Will give it a clean and lube this weekend and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep - it was the chain. After a cleaning and lube the noise went away. Also ordered a pro-oiler so I wouldn't have to worry about it any more. Read some people's reviews here and it sounds good. Will post my impressions after I get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts