Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange situation with a new rear tire. I have a 95Tbird which I am the original owner. I have experinced a strange situation with two different tires; the Metzler Marathon and the recently bought Michellin Commander II. Between the speeds of 15 to 25 mph I feel a sensation of riding on a rough road surface. Below 15 and above 25 mph it goes away. Between these two tires I had a Michellin Commander (first generation) and it did not have this problem. And all tires for the first 12 years did not have this problem.

There is one unique tire feature that separates these two tires from the others I have had. They do not have a center groove in the tread, and all other tires did.

I have made sure the wheel is aligned properly, the front and rear tires are in-line, the wheel bearings seem fine and the chain slack is correct. I will stop by the tire shop and see what opinion they have.

Anyone have this issue before?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was balanced. And the problem goes away above 25mph. If the shop balanced the tire incorrectly, I would think it would continue to get worse at higher speeds.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Some balancing issues are found at certain speeds and seem to disappear at higher speed.
Rear balancing is usually not done for "comfort" but to reduce wear on bearings etc.
Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
The lack of a centre groove is not your issue- a lot of tyres lack one nowadays. You might want to check the run-out on the rim, and check that it's not out of round. It's just a thought.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had an old Norton Commando that had old TT100's fitted which have straight tread all over. Whenever you hit a white line in the same direction the bike would seem to lose all grip and stability. I changed them to modern Avon roadriders and the bike was tranformed. The central grove won't be the problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the problem is still there, and yet everything checks out ok. Tire is balanced, removed the wheel anc confirmed it my self. Tire is seated on the rim correctly. Wheel run-out is within spec. Chain slack ok. Front and rear tires are inline with each other. Except for the strange rough feel at around 20mph, it rides nice at all other speeds. Not sure what else to check out?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Did they check for loose spokes? I had a similar problem after about 500 mi. after mounting new tires turns out it was 2 loose spokes.:(

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Thank you for that info.

Did they check for loose spokes? I had a similar problem after about 500 mi. after mounting new tires turns out it was 2 loose spokes.:(

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I broke a front spoke last year and I could definitely feel something was amiss.
Where is the wobble, front or back? Is your steering head loose? My had a head shake a few years ago at certain speeds (I think it wasin your range too) so I made a set of wrenches to tighten my steering neck bearings. Problem solved!

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Posts like this are why I love this forum. :D

I broke a front spoke last year and I could definitely feel something was amiss.
Where is the wobble, front or back? Is your steering head loose? My had a head shake a few years ago at certain speeds (I think it wasin your range too) so I made a set of wrenches to tighten my steering neck bearings. Problem solved!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts