Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i took my bike into my mechanics today so he could give me a list of service items to order from the uk as i live in romania ,whilst checking it out he said i had a problem with the clutch slave cylinder now not being a mechanic and only having had the bike a couple of months i thought i would ask you guys ,now when i put it into gear and pull away with relativly low revs it does kinda sound like a box of loose bolts rattling around inside the casing but as i speed up it goes away do you have any ideas ? he asked me to get a slave cylinder repair kit ,could it be more involved ?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
It's hard to say....

When these motors are running normally, they sound a bit like they have a box of loose bolts rattling around inside them.

There is also a well-known alternator bolt problem, where the bolt sheers off and rattles around inside the case. Guess what that sounds like? :rolleyes:

The later alternators (from '95? '96?) were slightly beefier, so it may be worth it to buy the repair kit anyway. Last I checked, it sold for about US$125 here in the states.

Good luck, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
109 Posts
yes sounds like alternator bolt .
If so and its the early engine with
acces hatch on top might be worth putting in a later type sprag at the same time as the modified alternator shaft and bolt as your in that area.
just done all the above on my 94 1200 daytona

·
Registered
826 Posts
does it occur more at aprox 3k rpm, when in too high a gear, ie slightly labouring the engine?
if so then it is not the slave cylinder, but just the normal clutch rattle.it can be cured with shims, but it is not anything to worry about, just an annoyance.

·
Registered
826 Posts
yeah, sounds like just the normal clutch vibes.
like i said, it can be cured with shims, but is VERY time consuming to get right, and doesnt cause any harm if left alone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts