Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have a 2012 America with 4000km's.

I have noticed a strange noise/clunck coming from the clutch/gearbox.

After putting the bike under load in first gear e.g. climbing a steep hill, when I get to the top of the hill I change into 2nd gear and then slow down and pull the clutch in to stop, I hear a clunck from either the clutch or the gearbox while the clutch is engaged.

When riding normally with nornal load on the gearbox its fine, I don't hear the noise.

Is the clutch not releasing correctly? Does the clutch need adjusting?
Any ideas?

Thanyou
Keith

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Steep hills.... I remember them. Could be a number of things but would check the easy things 1st. Chain correctly adjusted, Freeplay at the clutch lever (10mm measured at end of lever) and is the oil the correct grade, viscosity or needing a change. Or you could move to Aus. where you can't find a steep hill.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luckyduck.

I hear the noise when I pull the clutch into stop and coasting to a standstill.

Don't think the chain is incorrectly adjusted, but I will check it again.

I will mention it to the dealer, but just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
Is it totally new noise? Getting worse? If not, it might just be the free play in the shift dogs. The sudden relief of the load on the drive train when you pull in the clutch in could be letting the shift dogs spin and slap into each other on the opposite side of the teeth.

Here are some random transmission gears for anyone needing a general idea. The gears are always engaged with each other. It's the shift dogs (big sideways teeth things:D) that decide which set of gears is engaged to the shafts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi.

Took my bike in for it's yearly service and told them about the strange knock I can hear.

They rode the bike and said it is not from the clutch/gearbox, but from the back brake caliper. The caliper fits on a slide and under rear braking the caliper moves and knocks against the stop. They say it is normal.

I asked them to contact Triumph and see what they say about it.

Have any of you experienced this knocking sound when rear braking?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this kind of noise from the brake caliper on my t100 2015, just dissasembled everything and assembled again and it was gone. Seems to me the 2 14mm screws get a bit loose with time and vibration

·
Registered
28 Posts
This thread is a five years old but since it's already been bumped, yes, I often get that noise with the rear brake and I've experienced it since it was brand new. If you ever remove the rear wheel, it'll be obvious why. It doesn't have anything to do with the screws, but with the bracket the caliper is mounted on. It fits loosely on a slide on the swingarm to allow the brake to move easily with the wheel when you adjust the alignment and chain tension. If you try to gently rock the bike back and forth with only the rear brake on, you'll notice a tiny amount of play in the wheel, which is the bracket wiggling around.

Ordinarily there's no noise because the bracket sits against the slide since it's pushed in that direction each time you brake, but if you move backwards slightly with the brake on or while you're in the process of letting off it (like starting up a steep hill), the bracket will be pushed upwards by the disk turning with the wheel in reverse. When you use the rear brake again, the bracket very quickly travels back down the half a mm or so of play, slams into the slide, and makes the "thunk" noise. It's normal and nothing will be damaged by it, both metal parts are very thick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts