Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went outside to show my bike to some co-workers, and I noticed a strange puddle of something under the bike.

There seems to be two small puddles under the left side of the bike, directly below the oil pan (drain bolt is all wet actually), I'd say below the sprocket cover etc. The bottom of the fairing seems to be wet too.

It doesnt seem like oil...as it is a clear, thin substance. I dont know if its all the chain lube collecting inside the sprocket cover and dripping out, or possibly coolant maybe?

Or could it be gas? I just filled up my tank a few hours ago...is the overflow drain hose around there somewhere? Or is it possible my tank is leaking (the dreaded O-ring I keep hearing about)???

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The overflow hoses are on the left near the stand. If you crouch down, you can see and feel them. My bike did that a couple of times when it was hot and I figured it was expansion in the tank.

Others have had some case bolts loose and were losing oil. And yes, if your chain is very wet, it can spill out on that last bit of plastic at the back end of the fairing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just went outside to show my bike to some co-workers, and I noticed a strange puddle of something under the bike.

There seems to be two small puddles under the left side of the bike, directly below the oil pan (drain bolt is all wet actually), I'd say below the sprocket cover etc. The bottom of the fairing seems to be wet too.

It doesnt seem like oil...as it is a clear, thin substance. I dont know if its all the chain lube collecting inside the sprocket cover and dripping out, or possibly coolant maybe?

Or could it be gas? I just filled up my tank a few hours ago...is the overflow drain hose around there somewhere? Or is it possible my tank is leaking (the dreaded O-ring I keep hearing about)???

Sorry to hear that John

If its gas, you'll know right away, put one finger in it and smell it... you can't confuse gas with anything else.

Hope for you its not oil. Check your oil lever, make sure you have enough, maybe the draining bolt wasn't fully inserted and came loose.

Anyhow, let us know what it is. Normally these bikes are bulletproof.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Chain Cover

If you've never taken it off, remove the the front sprocket cover and have a look inside.... I think you will be shocked at the amount of grot (grit + oil) that's in there. This will probably be contributing!!

Rexx

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I would say the first step would be to identify the mystery fluid. If its fuel, you may have a leaking fuel sender unit. There was a recall on these. My 99 ST went through two of them under warranty.

If its water, it could just be your expansion tank. I have heard of some 955 bikes (Sprints and Daytonas) getting blocked radiators.

If its oil, it could be a bit more serious and probably worth a trip to the doc.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I would take the plastic off, thoroughly clean and do a run leak check if it isn't anything more obvious first.
At this point it could be anything.
If it's oil in this area, how tight do yo have your chain?
Do the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll keep an eye on it. The fluid seems thin and clear...so my guess is that its fuel (or water?)..

Unfortunately (and yes, this is strange), I dont have a sense of smell, so I cant smell it. Yes, thats right, I cant smell....born without a sense of smell..some people are blind, some are deaf...me, I cant smell. Yeah, I'm weird. :p

I'm pretty sure its gas, and looking at the engine, it seems something is leaking from above, and dripping down the engine cases...so I'm thinking its a leaky o-ring, or something around the bottom of the tank (where everything seems to leak).

I'll try to pull the tank this weekend and check it out.

Oh..and this famous o-ring...should I pick some up at the dealer, or buy the aftermarket ones everyone seems to be talking about? I dont care if its $5 an o-ring at the dealer..as long as it does the job.

·
Registered
472 Posts

My bike takes a pee now and again. Its not oil, its not really viscous, and its certainley not fuel. It has to be coolant. Theres no pattern to it. I just keep my eye on the level. Its only a small amount and happens rarely. Odd. Quirky. Triumph.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
No smell. Move your big away and light a match to it. I had a similar experience, it was coolant. I tightened the hose clamps and it went away.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Last summer my Sprint would deposit coolant through the overflow hose onto the ground after a short ride. Had to top up the reservoir and got it checked out by the dealer. Turned out to be a defective radiator cap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts