Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear with me whilst I am trying to explain this one, as english is not my first language!

Under hard braking from high speed (say 70 mph) something at the front (I don't know what exactly which bit of the front: forks, steering head) drops/falls with a clicking noise. It feels like a smaller tube with a catch being inserted in a larger tube (think attaching the long metal tube of a vacuum cleaner to the flexible hose: there is a catch that keeps the two together). Upon starting riding again, the front lifts from this locked position, again with a clicking noise. It never happens under normal riding conditions and I cannot replicate this at standstill. The noise seems to come from close to the handlebars....

The bike is a standard 2008 with ca. 1000m and I weigh ca. 100 kgs/220 lb.

Do you know what this is and if it is normal? Never happened before, but I never tried stopping from 70 mph before.

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
do you get any head shake under hard acceleration out of corners? can you recreate the sound/feeling intentionally at low speeds? sounds to me like your headstock bearings need to be adjusted. the dealer checks these when the bike is uncrated, but once the bike is ran through the motions, maybe they settled a little, did you have the initial service completed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Just for info, the bike has never been wheelied but it has come across some bumps.

The bike does not seem to shake when accelerating out of a bend and I've tried this morning to try and brake from lower speed and either there is no such 'click' or I think there is a faint/fainter one. It is a bit difficult to break hard in morning commuter traffic! The bike had its first service.

I'll try and jack up the bike and check the bearings. Would a couple of planks of wood under the oil pan, header pipes with a car jack do the trick?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
bduke, I have to agree with the others. Sounds like a simple steering head bearing re-torque is needed. Quite common on Triples that they loosen up / come from the factory too loose.

If you want to do the re-torque by the book with a torque wrench, you will need a special crown socket for the steering column nuts under the top clamp. And the top triple clamp has to come off.

When done correctly the bearing needs to be preloaded with a higher torque first, then loosened up and torqued to spec.

If you have a good feel for the job you can get by using a bicycle shop C-spanner or a punch on the nuts without removing top clamp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gusy - you were right, it was the bearing. This time I passed on the opportunity to get my hands dirty and paid a visit to the dealer who was very prompt in getting the problem sorted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing - I called in the morning, explain what the problem is, told me to come in straight away, I did, they dropped what they were doing, fixed the problem and gave me the bike back. For a dealership that has no competition as they are the sole Triumph dealer in the country, the service has been exemplary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts