Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

First I should say this is my first Triumph that I am buying here, but I have restored several Jap fours and Two Stroke Twins, including complete engine rebuilds on those bikes..

Went to inspect a new bike today, thinking about buying it.
Put it this way, right mileage, right price, good tyres good paint ..all great.

Not Quite :(

On tickover the bike is mechanically noisey, there is a "clack" to the engine note. The black backed Canister (alternator?) above the dip stick seems to have a clack to it when you place your ear close to or on it. The noises are definatley worse when its cold.

There is also some noise when close to the smaller casing cover on the front right of the engine (balancer shaft end?) But this could be transferring from the other problem..

Does this sound like anything common to these bikes to you guys? Something that maybe this guy could have repaired before I purchase it?

If not the words "wide birth" come to mind.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Without actually hearing the noise personally I can't comment, but what I will say is these engines are nothing like jap fours. They sound like a diesel on tickover, and make all kinds of mechanical noises, but they all do that sir...............................

Mick, 2001, 1200 Trophy.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Noisy Tickover

Being an aeronautical engineer and a fan of american V8s, noisy tickovers are something that I worry about! :eek:

However, all the 900s I have heard have this same rattle and mechanical nature when at tickover. On my trophy the noise from the altenator is sometimes obtrusive until you put load on it (switch on the headlights). I have checked with other owners and Triumph mechanics and all, without exception, smile knowingly and say "quite normal, don't worry"!

Having now had the bike for two years and two (professional) services I have to agree with them! :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am with you guys.

However this rattle is pretty specific to this bike and come from the alternator, its louder than the rattles coming from the other bike I heard and my mates 45K Daytona.

Its definately something going wrong in that alternator drive area as per that other thread in my humble opinion. I'm gonna try and get him along to a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just sorted this problem out on my triple.. the bolt that holds the impeller onto the alternator was broken which was makin the clunkin noises i had put up with it for a while but i have now welded the inpeller to the alternator and now it sounds great.....
hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
on one of the alternator pictures you have, part 21,22,23 which is supposed to be bolted to the alternator when you pull out the unit, and on mine it was this bolt that was snapped so rather than drill and tap it for another bolt i welded this onto the alternator with a few solid tack welds (just incase i need to grind it off at a later date...)
probably not the best fix but works perfectly now without any rattles....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts