Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I need your help. I am having a crazy charging issue with my battery. I've only taken the bike out twice this season because I have been really busy. I didn't get to take it out much last season either. Unfortunately, it only has around 550 miles on it. I always keep it on a battery tender when it's parked. Anyway, the first time I took it out this season, it started just fine. Yesterday I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over the first time. I reconnected the tender for about 30 minutes and at approximately 6:30 pm, was able to start it. I rode to a gas station 6 miles away. After I filled up, the bike would not start. I had to call a towing company. While I waited, I tried to start the bike a few times. Before the battery died completely, the gauge cluster did all sorts of odd things. Once, the speedometer needle froze at 70 mph, sort of like windshield wipers stop if you turn a car off while the wipers are in mid-cycle. The bike even started twice, but stalled very fast. The tow truck driver arrived at approximately 10:30pm. Fortunately, he brought a nice box trailer specifically for motorcycles. I got home with the bike at approximately 11:00pm.

Today, I bought a new MotoBatt battery at a local motorcycle dealership (not Triumph). Before I left the dealership, I had the staff test the battery. The test indicated it was fully charged. I took the MotoBatt battery home and installed it. The bike started right up. I decided to get a second opinion on the original battery, so I took to an auto parts store and had it tested again. I watched the employee test it. Again, the battery was fully charged. I did not reinstall it the bike because it was completely dead last night. Now I want reinstall it out of curiosity. I have been in contact with the dealership and I am supped to take the bike in on Friday for service.

In the interest of getting to the bottom of this as quickly as possible, I am asking if anyone here has had a similar issue. I may need to point the dealership mechanic in the right direction. It's a newer dealership and I know many of the mechanics came from other dealerships in the area, so they may not be familiar with issues specific to Triumph. My research has me leaning toward problems with the stator, rectifier or a defective battery. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hi everyone. I need your help. I am having a crazy charging issue with my battery. I've only taken the bike out twice this season because I have been really busy. I didn't get to take it out much last season either. Unfortunately, it only has around 550 miles on it. I always keep it on a battery tender when it's parked. Anyway, the first time I took it out this season, it started just fine. Yesterday I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over the first time. I reconnected the tender for about 30 minutes and at approximately 6:30 pm, was able to start it. I rode to a gas station 6 miles away. After I filled up, the bike would not start. I had to call a towing company. While I waited, I tried to start the bike a few times. Before the battery died completely, the gauge cluster did all sorts of odd things. Once, the speedometer needle froze at 70 mph, sort of like windshield wipers stop if you turn a car off while the wipers are in mid-cycle. The bike even started twice, but stalled very fast. The tow truck driver arrived at approximately 10:30pm. Fortunately, he brought a nice box trailer specifically for motorcycles. I got home with the bike at approximately 11:00pm.

Today, I bought a new MotoBatt battery at a local motorcycle dealership (not Triumph). Before I left the dealership, I had the staff test the battery. The test indicated it was fully charged. I took the MotoBatt battery home and installed it. The bike started right up. I decided to get a second opinion on the original battery, so I took to an auto parts store and had it tested again. I watched the employee test it. Again, the battery was fully charged. I did not reinstall it the bike because it was completely dead last night. Now I want reinstall it out of curiosity. I have been in contact with the dealership and I am supped to take the bike in on Friday for service.

In the interest of getting to the bottom of this as quickly as possible, I am asking if anyone here has had a similar issue. I may need to point the dealership mechanic in the right direction. It's a newer dealership and I know many of the mechanics came from other dealerships in the area, so they may not be familiar with issues specific to Triumph. My research has me leaning toward problems with the stator, rectifier or a defective battery. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
How did the dealership test the battery... measure the voltage or load test the battery?

Just tell the service writer accurate, concise symptoms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership took it in the back, so I did not see how the guy tested it. He just gave me a printout that said it was okay. The auto parts store tested the voltage.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The dealership took it in the back, so I did not see how the guy tested it. He just gave me a printout that said it was okay. The auto parts store tested the voltage.
The ONLY definitive test of a storage battery is a LOAD test. Static voltage tells little about the ability of the battery to deliver current... unless a 12v battery shows 8 volts, then you know it's bad

·
Registered
129 Posts
Agreed only a load test will tell you how many amps it can push out. A voltage test wont do that. The electronics do weird stuff when the battery is failing. You can monitor the charging voltage with the bike running. It should be pushing out 13.5-14.5V in case you have a charging fault, but my bet is your old battery has bought the farm.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Agreed only a load test will tell you how many amps it can push out. A voltage test wont do that. The electronics do weird stuff when the battery is failing. You can monitor the charging voltage with the bike running. It should be pushing out 13.5-14.5V in case you have a charging fault, but my bet is your old battery has bought the farm.
The simplest charging system test is to watch the headlamp as you rev the engine up from an idle. Gets brighter then look to the battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I vote the old battery is toast. After having autozone test and insist the alternator on my truck was good, only to end up having the same issues after replacing the battery, twice. I wound up having to pull the alternator (again) and go down there and tell them I dont care what their test says. I want a new alternator. Problem solved. I no longer have faith in having people test electrical components. Give it some time and see if the problem comes back. I'm willing to bet it's fixed. Out of curiosity, how old was the original battery?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I vote the old battery is toast. After having autozone test and insist the alternator on my truck was good, only to end up having the same issues after replacing the battery, twice. I wound up having to pull the alternator (again) and go down there and tell them I dont care what their test says. I want a new alternator. Problem solved. I no longer have faith in having people test electrical components. Give it some time and see if the problem comes back. I'm willing to bet it's fixed. Out of curiosity, how old was the original battery?
I'm only expounding the virtues of load testing a storage battery. Anyone can do it as the testers are automated.

Testing starters, alternators, and regulators are a different story.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all good news. I really think the battery is junk too. I know a weak battery can cause all sorts of issues. I had issues with it early on. Seems you members concur. Hopefully I'll know for sure on Friday.

Justalurker, I found the printout from the dealership and it confirmed it was a voltage test.

Stowe, I don't really trust the Autozone diagnostics either, I just wanted to get a second opinion for what is was worth.

Thanks for all your input. I knew I could get answers here.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is all good news. I really think the battery is junk too. I know a weak battery can cause all sorts of issues. I had issues with it early on. Seems you members concur. Hopefully I'll know for sure on Friday.

Justalurker, I found the printout from the dealership and it confirmed it was a voltage test.

Stowe, I don't really trust the Autozone diagnostics either, I just wanted to get a second opinion for what is was worth.

Thanks for all your input. I knew I could get answers here.
I knew it would be a voltage test.

I never buy a storage battery of any kind without seeing it load tested with my own eyes before I pay for it.

There are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday batteries... no load test and you get a late Friday afternoon battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope the MotoBatt works out. When I started the bike after installing the MotoBatt, it just seemed stronger. Anyway, my local Triumph dealership is trying to get me a new battery under warranty. Even if they can, I don't think I want it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Few years ago my dad bought a new Honda 600 Hornet less than six months the battery failed . One cell was toast . It was a Monday morning Friday afternoon battery , we were away on our bikes just bought a new battery and carried on .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my bike to the dealership today. The charging system checked out okay along with everything else. They load tested the OE battery and it was okay. I told them to keep it. The service writer believed something was wrong with the battery. He quietly told me they had been having problems with them. Anyway, I am just glad there are no issues with the bike. I am not banking on Triumph making it right, and at this point, I don't care. If there are no further issues, maybe my next bike will be a Triumph as well. If not, I'll go back to BMW or I'll go to some Asian brand. Thanks to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I took my bike to the dealership today. The charging system checked out okay along with everything else. They load tested the OE battery and it was okay. I told them to keep it. The service writer believed something was wrong with the battery. He quietly told me they had been having problems with them. Anyway, I am just glad there are no issues with the bike. I am not banking on Triumph making it right, and at this point, I don't care. If there are no further issues, maybe my next bike will be a Triumph as well. If not, I'll go back to BMW or I'll go to some Asian brand. Thanks to everyone who responded.
I'm curious... did you see them load test the battery? I ask because too often for too many a load test is a voltage reading.

They hook up a VM or DVM and see anything above 12 volts (static) and the battery is declared "good".

May be the fact that "they had been having problems with them" is that they don't have a load tester.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm curious... did you see them load test the battery? I ask because too often for too many a load test is a voltage reading.

They hook up a VM or DVM and see anything above 12 volts (static) and the battery is declared "good".

May be the fact that "they had been having problems with them" is that they don't have a load tester.
No. I am sure they would have let me see it had I asked. I really don't care anymore. If the issue persists, Triumph will no longer get my business and I will contact my state's AG.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts