Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I know this is a strange accessory, but I've been sort of wanting one of these tank shields for a while now:

I know it's from the Italian race circuit, but anyone have an idea how I could get my hands on a set?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I never had much luck with PlasticBike (Italy) about their bellypans. They might be the ones that make those tank shields. You could try emailing them, but... good luck. I asked them about the tapered triangular-shaped bellypan that goes between the headers - I had assumed they are the company that manufactures it - maybe I was wrong and that's why they ignored me. I wrote a clear email message, translated it to Italian with an online translator, which should at least make it sort of understandable in Italian, sent both Eng. and It. versions of the message, and never heard back from them. None of the European Triumph websites seem to have any links to where you can get the race components either (and nobody seems to have it on their bikes). But if you do succeed in getting hold of any of the Italian race stuff, please do post how/where you got it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Mancha - build your own- cut it out of plexiglass and have the UJ painted on the back side and bolt it to your tank in place of the tank badge. One of those t-shirt airbrush artist could paint one up for you maybe. You should be able to cut the design out of the plexiglass with the right bit on your router. John

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JG and Thrux-ton-up, thanks for the replies.

JG, you're right, I tried Googling Italian Thruxton parts for about an hour last night and got nowhere. Thanks for providing a name for me.

T-up, I have thought about making my own out of some kind of plastic or plexiglass. I have some doubts as to how well the paint would stick to it though, especially as I suspect it will get moved around by the wind. Still, it couldn't hurt to, at the very least, make a prototype. In fact, with the day off, I think I'll head over to Lowe's for some plexiglass rtight now. I suspect in the end I'll need it made out of metal though.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Sign shops with graphics/computers could produce some very nice high tech stick on grahpics for a reasonable price. Design what ever you like, stick em on the plexi, trim off edges and go.

Need to fab some spacers and the like to get em mounted similar to the photo bike.

John

[ This message was edited by: Thrux-ton-up on 2006-12-12 09:50 ]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I had my comeuppance at the hands of a Brit of some wideranging knowlege...that is the "Union Flag"....the "Union Jack" is the maritime version, white field, I believe. If you believe the Brits on the question of their flag.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Well, I found out who makes those rearsets (pedane) on the Italian Thruxton race bikes. It's an Italian company called Valter Moto (www.valtermoto.com). They don't have the Thruxton rearsets listed in their PDF catalog (which is FULL of great stuff, and the prices seem very low online for some of their products). So it must be a very limited production in support of the race series. They also make the saddles used on the bikes, and bike stands, etc.

And PlasticBike (www.plasticbike.com) makes all the plastics on the bikes. Here is a site that lists the contents of the Thruxton cup series racing kit in Italy:

http://www.triumphchepassione.com/thruxton-cup.htm

Here is a picture of that belly pan I was trying to find. I thought it might be by PlasticBike, but their website has almost no information on even the parts I am sure they do make. It is on an American's bike (Nixon) in this picture...

·
Registered
68 Posts
JG, I tried to PM you but it said I haven't made enough posts.

Did you machine those parts in your photo album or purchase them somewhere?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Some pretty cool stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion of where to get a seat like that in the US? Wonder if it'd be comfortable enough for an hour :hammer:

·
Banned
798 Posts
Mancha,

I'm curious what it is you like about those things. I realize "To each his own", but they seem to cover up the cool lines of the tank (??) and dont harken back to anything I'm aware of historically.

However, they would appear easy to make if you wanted to do it yourself. And like someone else said, you could either paint or apply decals to the back side of clear lexan and it'd look shiney forever.

kjazz

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This belly pan isn't as cool as the other one pictured in this thread. However, I'm intrigued that it works with the stock pipes. If you find out definitively who who makes it, I hope you'll post the news.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mancha,

I'm curious what it is you like about those things. I realize "To each his own", but they seem to cover up the cool lines of the tank (??) and dont harken back to anything I'm aware of historically.
Mine is a strange interest, I know. I kind of like what it does to the lines of the tank, making to seem more substantial, and less peanut-shaped. Anyway, with the cut-out for the knee insert, they seem to me to magnify the lines of the tank rather than covering them up. I like that there's a certain hint of "heraldry" to it, almost as if it's a shield worn by a knight (my reasoning is getting stranger by the second, I know). Finally, it's a relatively large paint canvas, just begging for something interesting to be added to it, without the necessity of painting an entire tank.

That said, making one isn't as easy as you might think. I've cut one out of plexiglass, but I'm still stuck with the problem of painting it. The problem is that the plexiglass needs to be substantially bent to conform to the tank. Of course bendy stuff doesn't hold paint very well. So I'm sort of left with the option of installing it and THEN painting it, which wouldn't be TOO difficult with some creative masking, but is certainly a less-than-permanent fix. A large vinyl decal would do the trick, but that seems like cheating to me.

Of course what I should do is make it out of either fiberglass or aluminum. I don't have a thin sheet of aluminum lying around though, and didn't find any during a trip to Lowe's. Still, I might take my outline to my fabricator and see if he has any brilliant ideas.

·
Banned
798 Posts
I was reading about shaping acrylic or plexiglass the other night on the web. Apparently, you take a blow torch and go after it. I'd practice a few times if I were you before going after the piece you've spent time cutting into shape (outline). And definitely AWAY from the gas tank!!!!! If using stickers instead of paint, you could use a softer more pliable plastic. I'd guess that type of material would start cracking where bolted on eventually. You might want to use some rubber washers, or grommets to attach.

Good luck with the project.

kjazz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts