Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding to work, made it to the gas station and filled up. When I tried to start it up, there was a click under the seat and the electrical went dead. I turned the key off and on a few times, turned the kill switch off and on a few times, then the electrical was on. Went to start, click, dead. Now the electrical won't come back on. What's going on? Just replaced the battery last month. Help!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Since you say you are getting a click, the start button, thumb kill switch and safety lockouts do not seem to be the problem.
Do you have a volt/ohm meter to verify the current battery voltage? If so and it is low then charge the battery to get the motor started again. *You can jump start it similar to a car, just make sure the other vehicle used is not running. All you want is the voltage supplied by that battery, not the other vehicles charging system. Then check the charge voltage of your motorcycle to verify the regulator/rectifier is actually providing the needed charge voltage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What kind of battery do you have in there right now? the traditional lead acid, an AGM (what is typically on these bikes), Lithium Ion, or something else?

Also, what prompted replacement of the previous battery?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another thing to check is the fuse panel. It is located behind the panel covering the ignition (assuming stock config). Pull from the bottom of the plastic cover and it should swing up. The Fuse box cover comes off easily enough, and there should be a set of fuse pullers in the top right of the panel (kinda difficult to get out) .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an ACDelco ATX12BS. I replaced it because I had it all taken apart to add a USB charger (yes that's off) and thought I'd replace it while I could get to it. The old one was probably original with the bike.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It could be the regulator/rectifier you deacription sounds Like mine sounded when it died.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Don't want to sound like a broken record but do you have any way to measure the battery voltage?
Just to determine if you are above or below the starting voltage threshold (12.6VDC for me) required by the ECU of the EFI models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't want to sound like a broken record but do you have any way to measure the battery voltage?
Just to determine if you are above or below the starting voltage threshold (12.6VDC for me) required by the ECU of the EFI models.
I don't at the moment, I'll try to get one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts