Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a ton of exhaust threads but didnt really find what I was looking for...
I would like to build myself a set of straight through drag pipes, that hook up to the headers where the regular silencers do.
Obviously I would need to rejet, but would there be any detrimental effect to my tuning? Like not enough back pressure?
I want some long pipes, like real loooong. That stick out past my back tire.
What size of tubing would I need?
S.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Stock headers on these bikes are 1 1/2", so a muffler shop should have that size on hand. I'd stick with that. If you're going to run them pretty long, a simple rejet should give you good performance. By using extended pipes of the same size as the headers, you should pick up some marginal backpressure from the snorkel effect.

Please let us know how this turns out. I for one have considered doing the same thing just to have some straights on hand to swap onto the bike when I feel like raising a little hell. It should sound awesome, and with the longer pipes, most of the noise will be behind you as you're tooling down the road.

If you cut the pipes off square, the exhaust projects back and produces more of a booming sound, while doing a slash cut produces a sharper tone, bouncing the sound off the road. If you turn the slash cut out rather than down, the sound projects out, making it louder from the rider's perspective. Slash cuts that face out are a blast in tunnels or under an overpass, but otherwise tend to sound pingy and be annoying on longer rides.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a search for JimBonnies calculations but couldnt find anything...
The exhaust shop is a good idea. Id like to keep them as slip ons as opposed to a full system, at least at first. Test the waters & all that.
S.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem at all. Sticks of tubing are cheap. I think the Autoparts company I work for sells sticks of 1 1/2" 8 feet long for about 14 bucks.

Any exhaust shop will have a bender and a be able to bend up what you need. Get a set of OE brackets from Triumph and have them weld them on the pipe once you get the shape and look you need.

Depending on your tool situation you could almost build them yourself on a Speedmaster.

Take them to an Electroplater and have them plated and away you go.

Sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How long would you say the total length of headers & Long Tors would be, which is the setup I have? I am trying to visualize where 68" would come out to...
Good tip on getting some OE hangers! I was thinking of fabbing some ...
I would go measure on my bike but I just got back out to work for the next 6 week :(
S.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Sharp!!! I didn't realize you are only just down the highway from me. Are you working up North right now?

I am not sure how long those would be but the TORS would be the same length as the OE exhaust and alot of those Speedies exhausts go right to the rear tire.

If I get a chance I will whip into Echo with a tape measure for you and have a look. They have everything at the Bike show right now so it will probably be middle of next week.

BTW - I think Fountain Tire in Red Deer, the 67A St location, has a bender. I know them pretty well down there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the SM you have to remove the lower bolt & loosen the upper one on the passenger footpegs. The bracket mounts in behind it then the footpeg support gets bolted back on over top of it. I would do it the same way.
Calliway, thanks for the heads up! My Tors come to about the rear axle. I want these pipes to come waaay out, like this:
http://www.cyclexchange.net/Exhaust System Page.htm
I saw them years ago & could never get them out of my head...
S.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Holy Moly, you are going for a specific look! I just measured my Bonnie and they are 48" from header to tail tip but the Bonnie is a different animal. I don't think the Speedmasters would be that much longer......68" inches is way past the bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speedmaster Exhaust Sound

All - I have an '09 Speedmaster and am in the process of deciding what pipes to put on it. I'm looking for something that has a deep rumbling sound. I'd like it to be as loud as possible. I've looked at the Sceptre pipes, but would like to hear other audio clips from some other mfg's. Does anyone have any suggestions on what pipes would sound good and any audio clip so I could get an idea of the sound.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am reading this thread with renewed interest and have a question and am very interested in this idea. With the EFI on the 2009's, if you just replace the mufflers and not the headers would you even have to re-tune? Shouldn't the EFI automatically compensate for the change since it is after the sensors?

·
Registered
155 Posts
All - I have an '09 Speedmaster and am in the process of deciding what pipes to put on it. I'm looking for something that has a deep rumbling sound. I'd like it to be as loud as possible. I've looked at the Sceptre pipes, but would like to hear other audio clips from some other mfg's. Does anyone have any suggestions on what pipes would sound good and any audio clip so I could get an idea of the sound.
I am in the process of making the same decision.
Search in YOU TUBE for sounds bites there are quite
a few. I have an '08 Speedmaster w/ carbs and intend to
do the work myself ( gotta save them bucks) the question
is how will that effect the warranty, bike has only 50 miles,
should I wait till after the 600 mile warranty check ?

29 days untill spring

1 - 16 of 16 Posts