Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to place some engine/clutch covers on my 2014 STR. I have seen many bikes with Triumphs factory brand covers made from long glass nylon, but I know R&G makes a set out of polypropylene.

Anyone have any insight as to which would would provide better protection, longevity, fitment or any other aspects?

My goal is to have matching covers, front/rear wheel sliders, frame sliders and bar ends. I am not a brand loyalist per say, I just want the best product possible.

I like the look of the Triumph "frame sliders" but much prefer the SW motech ones.

Functionality to me is more important than looks.

Also open to the idea of a full or same crash cage.......

Thoughts, opinions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am looking to place some engine/clutch covers on my 2014 STR. I have seen many bikes with Triumphs factory brand covers made from long glass nylon, but I know R&G makes a set out of polypropylene.

Anyone have any insight as to which would would provide better protection, longevity, fitment or any other aspects?

My goal is to have matching covers, front/rear wheel sliders, frame sliders and bar ends. I am not a brand loyalist per say, I just want the best product possible.

I like the look of the Triumph "frame sliders" but much prefer the SW motech ones.

Functionality to me is more important than looks.

Also open to the idea of a full or same crash cage.......

Thoughts, opinions?
First hand slide...Triumph OEM worked as expected. They also look the part.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
First hand slide...Triumph OEM worked as expected. They also look the part.

Bar ends....most including the crappy triumph ones will sent badly....look at r&g
I went the "crap" way....the barends with lever protectors from AliExpress...found the hard way that the first thing to break are the levers.....
The thing is whether the lever protectors are $200 or 20....the WILL break...
So $20 set of lever protectors with barends included serves my purpose...

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you’re open to a cage, I have one I really like. Then there’s one other that a company just recently started making one that is also real nice. Both are “full cages”, but are way more minimalist looking/less bulky than most cages you see out there.

Both are going to cost more than frame sliders, it I feel like probably add up to the same or even less than sliders and multiple covers.

Can post pics if you’re keen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am open to the idea, but have not found any that I like. Not many options either from what I can find.

If you could please share some pics and the make/model of it and/or a link to buy it would be appreciated!

·
Vendor
236 Posts
Bar ends....most including the crappy triumph ones will sent badly....look at r&g
I went the "crap" way....the barends with lever protectors from AliExpress...found the hard way that the first thing to break are the levers.....
The thing is whether the lever protectors are $200 or 20....the WILL break...
So $20 set of lever protectors with barends included serves my purpose...Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I think you bought the lever guards under a misunderstanding - lever guards are NOT there to protect the lever in the event of a crash! Their purpose is to prevent an otherwise minor collision on a racetrack, where one rider's right handle bar bumps into another rider's backside while braking into a turn, from turning into a major crash when the trailing rider's front brake is locked. I've seen a bike 10' in the air, upside down, with the rider still in position! Guys have died from this, so the lever guard was invented.

Reactions: tewariv and STREVS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you bought the lever guards under a misunderstanding - lever guards are NOT there to protect the lever in the event of a crash! Their purpose is to prevent an otherwise minor collision on a racetrack, where one rider's right handle bar bumps into another rider's backside while braking into a turn, from turning into a major crash when the trailing rider's front brake is locked. I've seen a bike 10' in the air, upside down, with the rider still in position! Guys have died from this, so the lever guard was invented.
Thanks! Always nice to hear other sides of a story.

I have seen some place shorty levers in the attempt to mitigate lever damage, bit I would assume that that was not the intended purpose.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There's an hierarchy of functions/features of aftermarket shorty levers. The primary function of the shorty lever is for the two-finger application (index and middle fingers) of brake/clutch providing clearance to the unused fourth and fifth fingers. A by-product of the shorty lever is that the reduced length is less exposed to damage during a fall and a tangle up with another rider. But please note that most aftermarket levers (full length or shorty) has a break-off notch to help the tip of the lever to break off during a fall (~25-35mm from the end); leaving the remainder length of the the lever still functional. Another variation is the fold-up lever feature probably offers even more damage protection as it offers still another pivot point upwards, preventing damage in that direction.
I use aftermarket shorty levers on all my bikes for the two-finger feature, I find the OEM levers too long and not adjustable enough for my application. I don't race and do not use the lever guards.
Stay safe and good riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts