Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on a windscreen and bags for my Storm.

On the windscreen, I've seen people use a windvest and a national cycle switchblade. Is there anything out there that's made to fit the storm dual headlamps? Any thoughts on the windvest versus national cycle?

On the bags, I've only seen the Triumph bags and I just don't have the money for them. Any recommendations on something cheaper that fits on a Storm?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How tall are you and what is the ride like with the WindVest? My past bikes had either windscreens built into the fairing or windscreens that were fitted to the bike (around and over the headlight). I'm curious as to how the WindVest works and how it looks in person. In photos, depending on how it's mounted, sometimes it just seems to float above the handlebars, not really connected to the bike. Just not what I'm used to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same money issues so I went with a sissy bar and luggage rack combo from Highway Hawk. For both the cost was around $260.00 which was alot cheaper than Triumph and they look great.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Kafka,

The Windvest does a good job of keeping you in your seat. It is in no way like a full wind screen on a dresser... I chose it because it still lets the bike look like a "SPORT" bike. The lines of the Windvest are pretty sleek also.

The one in the picture is a 16". It has a really nice chromed mounting bracket, That clamps to the handlebars... once mounted it is very rigid.

The only small draw back is that there is only one adjustment hole in the screen itself. If there was one more to take it higher, by an inch it would be better.

I'm 5'9" @ 200 and I can see over the top of the screen just fine, which is the way I like it.

hagatha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@miketriumph - great idea. to be honest, I hadn't thought of that.
@hagatha - I am leaning more and more towards the windvest now that I've read your review. As the T-Bird storm is the first bike I've had without a windscreen, I am taking a long time to get used to the feeling that I become a sail at about 60 mph unless I hunker way way down. I'm all for a screen that can help keep me in my seat. I'm 5' 5" and 200 lbs (yes, not the tallest or the thinnest) so I assume the 14" screen would be more suited to me.

Now all that being said, I have to admit I am intrigued by the new Dart Flyscreen: http://www.fasteddysports.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-shopping-cart/product_images/Storm1.jpg

However, it looks like it would be 90% looks, 10% actually "keeping me from having to hold on to the bars."

I'm riding the bike down the coast to a work event in a few weeks and will probably need to make a decision soon. I'd like to have the screen delivered and mounted before the ride. I'd like to get the bags/rack situation squared away by then, too, but I'll probably have to wait to do the bags or rack until October.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

I'm pleased with the Windvest... That other shield seems awful small, maybe designed for more of a street bike...

hagatha

·
Registered
143 Posts
Now all that being said, I have to admit I am intrigued by the new Dart Flyscreen: http://www.fasteddysports.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-shopping-cart/product_images/Storm1.jpg

However, it looks like it would be 90% looks, 10% actually "keeping me from having to hold on to the bars."
Hi Kafka.esq (great handle, by the way)

It’s actually not like that at all, at least in our tests. With screens, like with many things, there’s more to life than size…

People vary in their experience of screens, so I’m not normally one to make claims for ours - YMMV etc. However, I find the Manta does make a big difference to the comfortable cruising speed on the Storm. I was doing a constant 85-90mph in relative comfort - not really possible on the standard bike.

It works like the screen on a sports bike (and of course they’re generally very small) by smoothing out the airflow, reducing turbulence. Air pressure alone you can cope with - it’s turbulence that causes discomfort.

Anyway as I say, it’s a personal thing, but in my opinion it’s one of our most effective screens in performance terms.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sleddy, does the TBird 1600 kit come in the traditional style AND/OR the split version (like the Manta)? And does it come with all mounting equip? Does it tap into existing nuts/bolts, or will we have to do any drilling to install? Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I been on a search for a small windscreen fitted for the storm for a while now. Finally Dart has produced a flyscreen that I ordered due to styling and size. Riding the Storm in a minimal stripped down style looks great until you find yourself on a long ride. I'll post the pictures once I receive it and get it mounted. Fast Eddy www.fasteddysports.com will have a few in-stock soon. You can check them out at
http://www.dartflyscreens.com/en/storm.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Stephen/sleddy,
Just when I was going to order the bigger screen, I read your post and now I am torn again. (It takes me a long time to decide sometimes.) At the moment, financial issues are delaying the moment when I actually can make a decision; maybe the moto fairy will visit for my birthday or Christmas with a screen or bags or money to go towards either.

Many thanks to Hagatha and others for their input. I await Joeperry1's review of his screen. If I get around to ordering one soon and I pick the Dart, I'll be sure to post a review. I know a lot of Storm riders are looking for windscreens that actually fit on the bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sleddy, does the TBird 1600 kit come in the traditional style AND/OR the split version (like the Manta)? And does it come with all mounting equip? Does it tap into existing nuts/bolts, or will we have to do any drilling to install? Thanks!
Sorry about the delay in posting - it's a bank holiday here and I took advantage of the extended weekend to take the Tbird up to North Wales for a few days.

The classic flyscreen fits the Tbird 1600; the Manta fits the Storm. Thanks to the headlights, they're not interchangeable. It comes with everything you need, and mounts under the top yoke, using the bolts that hold the wire cable tidies in place. No drilling or anything needed. It should take you about fifteen minutes to fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm actually very interested in this as well. I'm picking up my Storm tomorrow (Thank you, thank you) but I want to be able to take it on longer trips and I'd prefer to have a full sized windscreen. Stuff like dumptrucks filled with gravel, flatbed trailers covered with the same, and lastly rain makes me think I'd really like to be able to tack on a full sized screen.

The Dart looks nice for helping with wind resistance, but does anyone know of any fullsized screens coming down the pipe for the storm?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dart Manta screen

Just ordered the dart manta screen for my Storm. Will post how it goes when it arrives. Looks good on the pics. Hope it makes highway riding more comfy. I am only 5' 10".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Dart. Any reviews yet?
Otherwise, it'll be the National Switchblade Deflector for me.

I'm just trying to keep from feeling like a full sail in the wind...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I purchased the Dart Manta screen and mounted it a couple of weeks ago. The purchase was from Fast Eddy and not Dart directly. I have been able to put several hundred miles behind it now and I have really enjoyed the addition in several ways. Being so small and at an angle that doesn't seem to look like it would be efficient, it actually is for the torso. You are still left with your helmet in the air stream but the pressure on your body is greatly reduced at higher speed leaving you with less of a struggle in fighting the wind. I had thought initially that I would not like it on the bike all the time and would unmount it on my normal daily commute, etc. That hasn't been the case. I had stop by my local dealer to get a few things updated on the Storm with the screen mounted and they had no clue (of course) that anything was out yet for the Storm. And that it truly went well with the design and style of the bike. I personally do not want to take my Storm all the way up to the touring look with the full size windscreen. Some may and if so the Dart Manta is not for them. Rather than posting a lesser quality picture it's best to see the screen on Darts site. http://www.dartflyscreens.com/en/storm.html

If you are interested in purchasing it I would highly recommend you make your purchase from eddy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, Joe.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. My Dart is on its way to me (From Fast eddy) & I'll be doing a 1000 mile ride with it the weekend of the 23rd. I'll report back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fitted my manta screen today

I have just fitted my dart manta screen today, i must say it looks awesome and the quality is second to none, just done a 60 mile ride and definately made all the difference i can sit at 80/85 quite comfortable now, Took literally 5 mins to fit just 2x 5mm allen bolts that are already there under yoke, i am well pleased customer service is excellent along with postage and packing direct from dart cheers Steve, i would thoroughly recommend looks the muts nuts:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
A small windscreen like the dart is EXACTLY what i've been looking for.
I'm not so sure I like the design with the way it's mounted - wish it could be more flush.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts