Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I prefer the look of my TBird with the pillion seat removed but my lovely bride wants to ride and doesn't like to without a backrest. I didn't want to go the route of the sissy bar and luggage rack so I bought the Corbin dual seat and backrest. Its a snap to put on or take off so I get the best of both worlds with the least hassle. Here's a link to a few pics....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5784768152/in/photostream/

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks great! I ordered the exact same configuration for my black Tbird and it should arrive tomorrow (Thursday). I really liked the idea that ordering a single backrest allows you to move it between rider and passenger - or leave it off altogether.

Can't wait to try it out - the stock seat is absolutely getting worse for me each time I go out, and I've heard too many mixed reviews on the Triumph long-haul seat. I have yet to see a complaint about the Corbin - other than pricing and their customer service. Here's hoping the latter won't be an issue for us.

Jeff

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi All,

I prefer the look of my TBird with the pillion seat removed but my lovely bride wants to ride and doesn't like to without a backrest. I didn't want to go the route of the sissy bar and luggage rack so I bought the Corbin dual seat and backrest. Its a snap to put on or take off so I get the best of both worlds with the least hassle. Here's a link to a few pics....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5784768152/in/photostream/
It's a good looking set up. Have you done any long rides with the "Bride"? What's her opinion?

56R

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
56R I have not had a chance to ride yet as I recently had a surgery that's keeping me off the road. Hopefully in a few more weeks I can get her out and get a feel. I have heard a lot of good things about Corbin as Jeff above said so I'm hoping for the best.

Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
After 2 short runs (~20 miles each), I can say that my relationship with the new Corbin is off to a positive start. It does feel like I'm sitting closer to the tank, but the difference between it and the stock seat is amazing. Hopefully this weekend or next I'll take a more meaningful ride (at least 75 miles) to really confirm my initial impressions.

Jeff

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
wild Bill and jsprunner, is the seating position any higher than stock? I see jsprunner says he feels closer to the tank. That might be ok if it is also raised up an inch or two. Otherwise I'm afraid I will lose leg room.

·
Registered
49 Posts
wild Bill and jsprunner, is the seating position any higher than stock? I see jsprunner says he feels closer to the tank. That might be ok if it is also raised up an inch or two. Otherwise I'm afraid I will lose leg room.
I do think it's marginally higher, and at this point, it feels like I'm sitting with a slightly more erect posture than before - a somewhat unexpected outcome, but I'm OK with it. Corbin expects the seat to break in and conform to you in about 2000 miles, so this could be temporary and the seating position may settle down to something closer to the stock seat. If it stays the way it is, then I really wouldn't expect to have any complaints about it. It feels great so far (pending a longer ride.) Just as a point of reference, I am about 5'9" and do use (and love) the footboards; if I were still using the pegs and my legs were stretched out a bit more consistently, I suspect the stock seat might have been sufficient. Stretching out was the only way to relieve the tailbone pressure in my case.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when you order, Corbin asks for your height (I think), your inseam length (I'm sure about that), and there's a field that allows you to add any other comments or special requests regarding your seat preferences. Thus, this would presumably be your opportunity to ensure that you maintain the legroom that suits you when they build your seat. It would be a great question to ask them directly.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
684 Posts
So each seat is custom built to the specific rider? If that is the case I may have to seriously consider getting one of these seats. The other option I was considering is having my stock seat reworked by someone. I have both the stock seat and the long haul seat, both of which came with my bike. The long haul seat was part of a free accessory package deal. Neither seat really works for me. There are certain aspects of each that I like, and don't like, and what I really need is a combination of features from each one. If Corbin will build to my specifications then I might be sold on this...well when funds permit that is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So each seat is custom built to the specific rider? If that is the case I may have to seriously consider getting one of these seats. The other option I was considering is having my stock seat reworked by someone. I have both the stock seat and the long haul seat, both of which came with my bike. The long haul seat was part of a free accessory package deal. Neither seat really works for me. There are certain aspects of each that I like, and don't like, and what I really need is a combination of features from each one. If Corbin will build to my specifications then I might be sold on this...well when funds permit that is.
Lantesh when I ordered mine they only asked for what type of stitching I wanted on the seams. Jeff must have gone more in depth with them.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well I'll have to talk to their sales dept. when I'm ready, and see what they can and can't do. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lantesh when I ordered mine they only asked for what type of stitching I wanted on the seams. Jeff must have gone more in depth with them.
Just for clarity, I ordered using their website. On the order page where you eventually give them a credit card, there were fields available which asked about inseam length and a place for any special requests or comments. I really have no idea how much customization they can or will do from a seat height/leg extension standpoint, but it seems they might have some flexibility as they make the seat. They did not have one in stock when I ordered, so they had to make one - it took just under 3 weeks from placing the order to receiving it.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

·
Banned
468 Posts
I have the same seat and love it. After hearing how hard Corbins are I was worried, but I like it. I didn't care for the big oval backrest (for me) so I got the "Gunfighter" backrest which is quite a bit smaller but hits my back right where I want it and gives all the support I need. It's just an alternative for those that want a little less mass sticking up from the seat. Also, the Gunfighter folds forward (spring loaded) to make mounting easier if you have it on the front seat. The oval backrest is stationary for anyone that might be thinking of using it as a driver backrest. NOT easy to swing a leg over!

Just a tip, ask for Vince if you call. He's a great guy and will make sure your order is right. He's the one that told me about the smaller, spring loaded backrest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That does look good Wild Bill. I'm debating a 2-piece seat from Corbin but have to be able to justify the large price. After a few rides with both the stock and now the long-haul I'm dissapointed with both. Where did you get your fork-bag?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That does look good Wild Bill. I'm debating a 2-piece seat from Corbin but have to be able to justify the large price. After a few rides with both the stock and now the long-haul I'm dissapointed with both. Where did you get your fork-bag?
Trenso I purchased it at the local bike/Harley dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts