Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Storm riders, how are the lights for night riding? I live in an area that's infested with deer and other ancillary varmints. It gets a bit trecherous after dark and I figure the better the lights, the better my chances of survival.

Current bike (CBR1000rr) is terrible at night and it's miserably hot in the daytime in S. Texas this time of year so haven't been riding much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I certainly hope that the storm is better than the T-Bird at night. I live in Tx as well, many wild hogs, deer, etc, and I rarely ride at night because of the poor lighting (distance in front...not lateral). I even upgraded my lights to a ultra bright, but it seems that the headlight housing isn't high enough. IDK, it's frustrating for me...hopefully they improved on this with the Storm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. Been looking at the storm, but haven't pulled the trigger yet; poor lights might be a deal breaker. Wanting to switch to a cruiser so I can ride with my buds in the city, I'm in the country and I'm looking for something I can ride home after cruising around town.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The lights are AWESOME! the brights are so bright you get some serious reflections off of the road signs.
That's good to know! I'd like to do the dual light conversion. I don't know how difficult it would be, or the cost, but I like the dual lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Doc, I picked up my Storm this afternoon, but had to drop it off at house and rush to work. Got home tonight and geared up for a night ride and I'm happy to report that the lights are great.

Not sure how they relate to the single light on your bike, but compared to my CBR they are fantastic. Like Finglan said, with the brights I get major reflection off signs. Also, the dual setup seem to throw a nice spread to the front and side of the road. A cat made a mad dash in front of me and I saw it's eye's light up from way off the shoulder giving me plenty of time to slow down before I squished the furry little bastard.

I'm pretty satisfied with the stock setup, but if I can find some brighter bulbs, I'll give them a try.

Oh, and the LED tail light is a nice touch too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Storm riders, how are the lights for night riding? I live in an area that's infested with deer and other ancillary varmints. It gets a bit trecherous after dark and I figure the better the lights, the better my chances of survival.

Current bike (CBR1000rr) is terrible at night and it's miserably hot in the daytime in S. Texas this time of year so haven't been riding much.
I rode Wednesday to Sattler. The ride up was great but the afternoon trip home was brutal at any stop in Boerne. I mentioned this to my dealer. She said Academy Sports has CamelBak back packs with a hose/straw some riders are strapping on under their jackets. I checked them out on the Internet. At $30-40 for 1.5-2 liter units this looks like a possible relief from the heat. Filled with ice and water they are supposed to be good for a couple of hours. The 70 oz version is supposed to weigh about 5 and 1/2 pounds filled. The bite valve allows you to drink from the back pack without using your hands.

56R

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Storm lights are excellent. I, too, ride in a heavy deer region. I don't do a lot of night riding but the lateral coverage and range on these are really good.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The high beams are good on the standard light as well, but its the low beams that suck. How are the lows on the storm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The high beams are good on the standard light as well, but its the low beams that suck. How are the lows on the storm?
Low beams are okay, but you lose a lot of range and the lateral coverage that we've spoken about. I'll slow down when using them and then flick the brights back on as quickly as possible.

Still going to try some upgrade bulbs and maybe some small running lights (pointed off to the side a bit) if I can find a set I like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts