Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a Question regarding the best cleaner (or no cleaner) for Storm engines?

What can or cant be used?

Thanks, Al

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummmm.... Errrrr.... Now if i can find somewhere in the southern hemisphere, south Pacific, Australia, Sydney that sells this stuff FANTASTIC hehehehehehehehehhe

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I have tried everything on both my speedmaster, who's engine is the same black textured paint as the storm, and my Tbird with the same also tho chrome side covers. the best thing i have found to make it look new and resist further dirt adhesion is called Maxima SC-1 clear coat. It's a silicone based product and it works fantastic on the entire bike even the tank and chrome. (tho if yours has the flat black tank i wouldn't use it there)

That said, for real tough dirt i'd use a dedicated cleaner first and simple green works great. But no cleaner that cleans very tough dirt is also going to leave it looking great and leave a protective coat. (and SG removes dirt great but leave the finish looking dull, so you must then use a finish product) So SC-1 is what i use for that. I DO used it as a one step cleaner/finish too, but thats because my bike never gets super dirty in the area i live. SC-1 is the best thing i have used so far, and if you use it on the entire bike the finished look is shinier and deeper than anything including all waxes and other sprays. It's really that good. I don't use anything else anymore. Occasionally i'll wax it, but i'm really not sure i need to even do that anymore.

Anyways, that said, the main reason i bought it several years ago was for the black engine parts because thats what it did best. But they recently improved the formula and thats when i found it works amazing on the whole bike where as before it was too hard to remove from tank and fenders because it would leave streaks. Now it works better than anything on all paint and even chrome. The look it gives to my tank and fenders is truly deeper and shinier than anything i've used, and i'm a detailing junkie. Only issue is, can you find it in aus? I know some people have had problems with some detailing products being impossible to get in some countries due to environmental laws.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Time starts the day you get the machine.Since I've been drivin motorcycle,I've been using soap and hot water to wash the machine AND the motor.Just don't directly spray the hose with pressure on any electrical connector plugs or handle bar switches as water will be forced into those connectors causing all kinds of grief.And if ya do have to spray water into any of those areas,spray it lightly.If I should run across any oil seepage,grease, or somethin that I may have picked up from the road,I spray alittle Gunk on that area,let it set for a bit,and rinse it off.DONE!! Dave!!!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
SimpleGreen is stocked at Bunnings. Has anyone tried their chrome cleaner and polish?

The SC-1 website mentions paint, fibreglass but not chrome...... feedbak on this one?

SC-1 is stocked in Victoria

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
SimpleGreen is stocked at Bunnings. Has anyone tried their chrome cleaner and polish?

The SC-1 website mentions paint, fibreglass but not chrome...... feedbak on this one?

SC-1 is stocked in Victoria
Doesn't matter. Trust me, it works great on chrome. It has become my one step every product. I only use a cleaner like simple green for cleaning stuff that is tough like bugs or for greasy areas. SC-1 isn't a cleaner really, but it does clean where just dust and such is present. I would say if your bike gets really dirty then you need to do 2 steps....clean, then protect/shine. But if you keep the bike clean and it just gets some dust and pollution, water spots, etc, then SC-1 is a one step cleaner. Chrome, any paint, anything except obvious things like your seat and tires.

If you read labels you will find none of them are really accurate. I have several products for certain purposes for which i have found other products not specified for that purpose to work better. For example, i had a bottle of mother's chrome polish. The SC-1 and another product i have used called liquid performance both worked a lot better on chrome. I also find SAC-1 works much better on black plastic and other no gloss black areas than mothers "back to black" does, and it's made for that purpose. The list is endless. I actually think that i have found most of the products for a specific use tend not to work all that well compared to other products not specified for the same use. Sounds crazy but it's true.

If you can grab a can of SC-1 try it. I think you'll find at worse it's a good product. If you're like me you'll think it's one of if not THE best detailing product you ever used. First time i did my whole bike with it i can honestly say i was a bit stunned at how it looked. The slickness helps keep dust and gunk from sticking to it too, so it lasts very well.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Motul have some good stuff, & available at most bike shops here in oz. Bit pricey but works well.
yes, the motul "shine and go". I have used that and it's not bad, but the SC-1 is the same type of silicone based product and IMO works a good bit better, is cheaper, and comes in a considerably bigger can. (seems to last about twice as long)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Thanks Dazco, I might have to give it a go......hard but not impossible to find in Oz.

I have used Wizards Mist-n-shinewhich does a decent job but I do like to experiment!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Performance Liquid detail spray or S-100 are about the easiest to use. I use regular Turtle Wax on the fenders and tank and detail spray for everything else. The only exception is I clean and wax the rims with polished aluminum spray cleaner and polished aluminum rim wax on the Thunderbird rims. They are a bit hard to clean and polish the first time, but a breeze after that. They will pit and corrode if you do not clean them regularly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
On the Speedmaster black engine and cases I found using WD40
sprayed on a cloth and wiped onto the cases leaves a nice luster, it's
economical and easy and I believe sold world wide.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts