Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really think I am losing the plot, and most my hair. I have a 2003 1200 trophy I owned this from new and no major issues, it has now done 30,000. When I first attempt to start the bike it fires up runs for about 10 secs and then just cuts out. It will do this for a couple of times and is then fine. With the exception of this happening once when stopping and restarting the bike after 10 mins, it is running great, does not miss and pulls as new. Problem is that if this happens when I am cornering, well dont want to think of that! It is definately electrical because it is almost like hitting the kill switch. I have checked the switch and all seems ok, had a slight issue with the clutch microswitch which I have replaced along with the side stand switch, but still no different. The bike has the original Gill coils but I would have thought that if these were at fault it would still run as unlikely for both to cause a problem. Big issue is that it is intermittent and with the engine running I have checked all wires and not probs. Can anyone please give me some ideas? Ivan

·
Registered
338 Posts
Netmaker

Cannot say for sure if my past issue is similiar but experienced something like that when the bike had not been ridden for a few weeks, especially during the cold months, and during searching for the problem I went from checking the choke, to turning on the prime at each start, which did help, fitted new plugs, and had some electrical tests by local bike shop,and still the issue remained a problem whenever there was an extended stop, week or so, and I was told by local bike mechanic to think fuel supply issue and so finally the problem disappeared when I fitted all new thicker fuel and vacum lines. Cannot say for sure what the issue was but bike starts immediatly now week or month between use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stopping when starting

Cheers Bud, that is FUEL for thought, he he, sorry Cornish humour. Interesting thought I have already put a fuel cleaner solution through a tank of petrol but did not make any difference. I have previously replaced one fuel hose and have had previous probs with the vacum hose. Did you replace them with genuine Triumph parts?

Could you tell me if when you tried to start when the bike stopped was it total, as in hitting the kill switch or was it a grdual stop such as the bike running out of fuel?

Cheers and many thanks

Ivan

·
Registered
338 Posts
netmaker

Just like the kill switch, as I did think that I had put the kickstand down the first time it died. The local mechanic told me to give the original Triumph lines a miss and go with better quality, thicker wall tubing, for all lines, and I found overall engine performance improved as well as the engine stopping drama.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stopping when starting

Hi, thanks for your replies. The Trophy is carbed not fuel injection.

Blessed thing wont start at all now, or at least tries on a couple of cylinders, checked the resistance on the coils and one is right down so gonna get another two and see if I can at least get it started.

Cheers

Ivan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stopping when starting

Cheers,

Considered that but as it will cost over $900 thought I would go for the cheaper option first.

Ivan

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know you said you checked all wires, but did you check the loom that is directly in front of the steering head? My bike had the same exact symptoms, and it was because an ignition related wire was being stretched over a frame member. Eventually it broke internally, with no outward sign of damage. Fortunately a local tech had the same problem with his Tiger. He said it's common with Triumphs of that period. He said that some assemblers at the factory route some wires a little differently from others, there is no official template.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Does the starter spin (but no fire)when you hit the button or just dead silence? Have you tried moving the handlebars into different positions while cranking?
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stopping when starting

Does the starter spin (but no fire)when you hit the button or just dead silence? Have you tried moving the handlebars into different positions while cranking?
Mark
Hi Mark,
The bike starts fine runs a few seconds and then just stops as if the kill switch was hit. Does this about three times and then is fine, could do 100 mls and would not miss a beat.
Trying two new coils, getting a bit expensive now though!
Cheers
Ivan

·
Registered
338 Posts
netmaker

Any chance somone fitted some Lucas electrics? Going back to fuel issue and have you tried starting with the tap on the prime position ? Mine would fire up for about 4 or 5 seconds as if just enough time for carbies to use available fuel. Once I started using the prime position I could keep the engine running and once I could increase revs to about 1500 the engine would run without any hesitation. As said, once I replaced all the fuel and vacum lines the issue went away.
I remember a previous post, some time ago, where another member was having a starting issue with a irregular kink occurring in a vacum line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stopping when starting

Cheers,
I have now put on two new coils and got the bike running again, one was definately t-ts up so thought best to change the otehr as well.
Take you point re the vacum hose as I have been caught out with this before because when you replace the fuel tank the take off from the fuel tap vac line is right next to the frame and it tends to kink and starve the carbs of fuel. I will replace these as you suggest and see how things go.
The electrics are original as I have had the bike from new.
Have a good one
Ivan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts