Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning from the Mid-Atlantic Coast and Happy New Year,

I was talking to a buddy of mine to let him know I will not be purchasing his '06 Ultra Classic ( He wants $18,000 with 10,000 miles, some extra chrome, yaddayaddayadda.) Typical H-D owner knows little to nothing about any other bikes. But as I expalined the specs of the R-3 he posed what I thought a worthy question. Here goes...

Has anyone ever had problems with road debris, rocks etc...damaging the radiator?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have not had any problems nor have I heard of any problems. There is a hefty screen over the radiator that does a good job protecting it. Your HD buddy will be familar with water cooled engines in a year or so when HD has to do the same to meet emission regs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1ststater,I have 36ks and had no problem with damage to radiator, put what worried me was stopping damage to the bottom section of motor under the radiator, I installed a mud flap approx 100mm really made a difference
stephen :-D

·
Registered
121 Posts
No problems with Rocket radiator. Have 18K miles on VTX that has a plastic screen in front of the radiator, still no problems

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Have had a mini carbon fiber front guard on mine for over a year now. No collateral radiator damage whatsoever with it. In fact, the bike seems to run a bit cooler in the summer. Best Jamie

·
Registered
403 Posts
No problems with ours either. But those darn TX bugs, butterflies, bees, etc. are sure hard to get off of it.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I have had no problems with mine. Besides the mud flap has anyone seen a shield or filter set up for the radiator?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey All,

I've looked at the R-3 radiator and radiator screen, looks pretty well protected. Anything can happen at anytime anyway plus all the comments from all the experienced R-3 owners makes it of no real concern. If all goes timely, my '06 R-3 Classic will be in tha mail and at my doorstep soon...not soon enough. Yeah baby Yeah!

I just came back from a buddy of mine's (mine's ?)house and looked his new purchase, '05 BOSS HOSS (3,900 miles, $25k). Whoa, V-8 355 motor....now that's cause for concern

[ This message was edited by: 1ststater on 2007-01-05 18:41 ]

·
Registered
47 Posts
On 2007-01-05 18:40, 1ststater wrote:
I just came back from a buddy of mine's (mine's ?)house and looked his new purchase, '05 BOSS HOSS (3,900 miles, $25k). Whoa, V-8 355 motor....now that's cause for concern
The main concern on a Boss Loss is if it falls over. Better call AAA for a wrecker or have a bunch of friends with 'ya to help pick it back up. No trans worry though, only 2 speeds.

The radiator on a VTX is way more damage prone than a R3. The R3's radiator is quite a bit higher. I have a riding bud who holed his VTX radiator with a rock kicked up by the front wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
radiator replacement

My radiator has a leak and just ordered a replacement was wondering how hard it is to remove and replace? ive replaced many a car radiator but not a motorcycle one. Has anyone here replace one ?
my bike is a 2005 rocket III

·
Registered
690 Posts
looks like you're the first.
How's it feel to be a trail blazer?
I've had the covers off mine and I can't imagine it being a problem.
I'd want to try that way before I'd want to take the rear end off and put a car tire on it.
(did that by the way and it was no problem at all).
Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts