Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 2008 Bonneville Black (pics) was stolen from right out front of my apartment in San Francisco, after a few months of parking it there every day, on a very sleepy little street.

I'm not particularly pleased, given that she was my first bike, and I'd already put a fair amount of work into her, learning as I went along. Pretty damn unhappy, actually.

We'll see if she comes back to me, I'm still hoping but pretty discouraged already. In the mean time I need to see about building (or at least planning) something I'll be similarly happy with -- definitely a Bonneville of some kind, though this time I'll be starting out with a few more substantial modifications. I'm not sure which ones, and I'm not sold on what platform on which to build (carb vs. EFI, year, T-100 vs. Black vs. something else, etc.)

So, I thought I'd ask for suggestions, if you have them.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, ...it's a kick in the stones to be sure. I guess you will lose out on a certain % if you do take the insurance payout?
Approx. how badly does one usually get burned on insurance payout after having their bike stolen. Would you get enough to replace your bike with one of equal value?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, I'm not yet sure how much I'll get back -- I paid just over $6000.00 when I bought her in 2009. I've actually found another 2008 Bonneville Black nearby for sale; it's listed overvalued but it's a possibility.

The problem is I feel like I have so much work to do to get me back to square one: AI removal, airbox removal, debaffle pipes, rejet, new bars, fender elimination, rewire new turn signals and tail-light, fab up a new license-plate bracket, etc. Then I'll have to throw in an upgrade or two to rid myself of the blues -- definitely new front and rear suspension, maybe FCR's, not sure yet.

I'm just wondering if building from the same platform is a good choice, or if grabbing one of them new-fangled EFI Bonnie's (probably the T-100) would be a better choice.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I hope she's back in the same condition she left in.... AND the thieving bastards are sitting where they belong. :mad:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't leave us hanging. How did you get her back?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
zrxer?
You there buddy?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Maybe he came home drunk and forgot where he parked it! :popcorn
:D
But then that would make a great story.
No, I'm beginning to suspect foul play. :cool: