Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I finally bought my dream bike earlier this year a Sprint ST 1050, and since It was a 2005 It didnt came with the hard OEM luggage.

Being more and more of a sport-touring and with a couple of bigger trips comings, I am currently shopping around before next season for luggage solution.

I heard through the grapesvines that the OEM bags aren't worth the money but I tried and tried to find why on this forum and couldnt find/figure it out... I really like the look of them and dont mind not being able to fit a full face helmet as I always carry it with me and if I really want to, then I'd get a top case also..

So, I guess my question is : what are the Pros (if any) and the cons of these.

Is there any major issues with them that I should be aware of and finally, do you know how much I'd be paying for them in the States as I live in Canada but close to the US border.

Thanks in advance and to the moderator of this section, YES I did a thorough search beforehand.

Storm.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Other than not being able to fit a full helmet, like you said, I have no problems with mine. They look good, are easy to open, take off and are weatherproof. That's all I need in a saddlebag! :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi.

what are the Pros (if any) and the cons of these?
Pros: look good, colour matched to bike, specifically designed for the Sprint and Tiger

Cons: leaks, rattle from ingenious?? slider system on the top box (all subjects of a recall), can't fit a helmet in the panniers, expensive, can have issues when aftermarket muffler is fitted.

IMHO aftermarket luggage is the better option for value and functionality.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I have never had any problem with mine. I think they work great and do what they are supposed to. Yes I have used them for long trips as well as to carry beer home from the grocery.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
If you aren't going to put a full face in them then I think they are great. And heck if you are touring around your bags are going to be full of gear and not your helmet. The only issue with the 1st gen 05 bags is that some have reported leaking issues but in saying that the set that were on my 05 and are now on someone elses 06 have about 85,000kms on them of use and they have performed flawlessly.

If you are worried about leaking there are liners available for them from triumph.

I would use them and not look for something else. just my 2cents.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pros: look good, colour matched to bike, specifically designed for the Sprint and Tiger

Cons: leaks, rattle from ingenious?? slider system on the top box (all subjects of a recall), can't fit a helmet in the panniers, expensive, can have issues when aftermarket muffler is fitted.

IMHO aftermarket luggage is the better option for value and functionality.
Issues with aftermarket pipes ?

Is it the case with Tridents ? how ? whats the problem exactly ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you aren't going to put a full face in them then I think they are great. And heck if you are touring around your bags are going to be full of gear and not your helmet. The only issue with the 1st gen 05 bags is that some have reported leaking issues but in saying that the set that were on my 05 and are now on someone elses 06 have about 85,000kms on them of use and they have performed flawlessly.

If you are worried about leaking there are liners available for them from triumph.

I would use them and not look for something else. just my 2cents.
Thanks Calliway !

The '05 St's werent sold WITH the hard OEM panniers in Canada in 2005... so I'm guessing the ones I'd be getting, would be, '08 or '09 and would be without those problems... one would hope so...

How much should I pay Can or US $$ for the whole kit (2 panniers, infill and pannier racks ?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Storm,
They actually were sold with the bikes in Canada in 05 but they where an option and not standard like they are now. As a matter of fact they were a $1000.00 dollar option on the bike. I have the original bill of sale. :)

They became standard on the bikes in mid 2006. In saying that though you are right that if you order them from Triumph now you would be getting the revised bags which have a better seal and are made from a bit sturdier plastic. The only thing is Storm, if you are going to get OE bags then you are going to pay huge. figure on $900 - 1000.00 cdn including the hardware to mount them.

In which case then maybe a set of nice GIVI's might be a better idea to save you about $300.00cdn.

www.givi.ca, ca c'est un site canadien et tu veux en francais ou anglais. Excuser ma francais, c'est terrible. :) Tu peux voir toute les case que marche avec le Triumph.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you get the OEM bags for free they are good. But there are lots better options for much less money. Plus there are 'issues' with the OEM bags supposedly flying open when moving. When i was looking for hard bags I said to Triumph i would be willing to buy the OEM bags and pay the premium price IF they could give me an assurance that the reports of them flying open were false. I received no response. They are without doubt the best looking option, pity the big T didn't spend more time assessing the quality and practicality (helmet problem already discussed).
Mick.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Storm,
They actually were sold with the bikes in Canada in 05 but they where an option and not standard like they are now. As a matter of fact they were a $1000.00 dollar option on the bike. I have the original bill of sale. :)

The only thing is Storm, if you are going to get OE bags then you are going to pay huge. figure on $900 - 1000.00 cdn including the hardware to mount them.

In which case then maybe a set of nice GIVI's might be a better idea to save you about $300.00cdn.

www.givi.ca, ca c'est un site canadien et tu veux en francais ou anglais. Excuser ma francais, c'est terrible. :) Tu peux voir toute les case que marche avec le Triumph.
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer Calli, I'm still tortured in between good looks and saving some money... + from what I've heard, its now more like 1200-1300$ Can. nowadays for the OEM kit of 2... maybe for the same price I could get Givi's WITH the top case...

Merci beaucoup for the link and the french, pretty good french, really ;)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
About $1376 for a color matched set of givi panniers, top case and all mounting hardware. You would be about 400 less if you just wanted black cases and not something colored.

That was for the V46 and E41 side cases with metallic blue lids.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Storm,

I have the OEM and though I only used them once for a 4,000 mile trip, I had no problem with mine. They were pretty stuffed too.

My suggestion would be to wait...:eek: and keep looking at ebay and this site as several people have sold the whole kit for as little as $400 US. If you don't find anything before it's time to put them on, Twisted Throttle and aftermarket luggage isn't going anywhere.

Plus, as I forgot to mention but was reminded in the St/Busa? thread, the stock mounting hardware looks better than aftermarket brackets if you have the bags off.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Got my OEM free for my New 05. Used em twice then removed all the hard ware and ball slider for a cleaner look. My 9 yrs old daughter calls em butt cheeks. They worked great but did not hold much. I got a Corbin GF and L with a back rest and prefer a Tea Bag to hold all my stuff tent and air mattress included for a rally or long trip. Just my 2 cents worth . I like the clean sport bike look and easier to split lanes without em. They are sitting on my beer fridge collection dust and are Caspian Blue with all the hardware BTW

Jeffro

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
...the stock hardware hides better then aftermarket hardware.
If you want to hide your aftermarket pannier racks, check out the SW-Motech ( for Givi) quick - lock pannier rack link below....
The 955 and 1050 Sprint use similar SW-Motech quick release pannier racks.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/286/77/ SW-Motech for 955 Sprint at Twisted Throttle.com

The SW-Motech top box plate is also quick release. I have one and it works great.

The Givi E21 ( 21litre) top loading panniers cost $170.00 per pair and are
about the same capacity but with much less overall width than the
Triumph side loaders. I find Givi monokey hard bags ( top or side loading)
much easier to use than the Triumph's.

Regards, Tom

Givi E21 and Triumph Panniers on Sprint 1050. The Givi is attached via a homebuilt adapter plate on the Triumph rack.

Givi E21 Panniers and SW-Motech top rack with quick - lock plate removed.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
WOW! If those pictures dont tell a story then I dont know what does. I cant beleive the width difference....

It looks certain that the GIVI bags make better use of the space by top loading. I like those givi bags.... they would look good on me Bonnie.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, thanks so much guys for all the detailled postings.

Geez, I would never have thought that people here would be so helpful.

I guess, now I have to process all of the info and decide before spring comes, as there is currently half a foot of snow around here... and should be like that until end of march at least...

Still, I wanna be more ''touring'' next year and want to be ready for it as soon as the season kicks in.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
WOW! If those pictures dont tell a story then I dont know what does. I cant beleive the width difference....

It looks certain that the GIVI bags make better use of the space by top loading. I like those givi bags.... they would look good on me Bonnie.
Wow, I must have been half asleep when I looked at Werks' pictures. I didn't even notice the two different bags! More coffee please:icon_drink:

·
Registered
935 Posts
As mentioned, the SW Motech carrier frames are easily removed. All you need is a flat bladed scewdriver, three speed-clips to undo. About 30 seconds - if that. Once the carrier frames are removed the mounting points are barely visible.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts