Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be putting on at least 6,000 miles this summer and I'm wondering if I should replace my tires prior to my trip.

What kind of mileage have you gotten out of the stock Metzlers?

Any suggestions on what I should put on for my summer journey?

Much thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
I've done over 12,000 miles (20,000Ks) on the stock Metzlers

up front is a Lasetec and the rear has a ME880.

reckon I will be able to squeeze another 2,000 Ks out of them.

having said that I wont be getting a ME880 again. seems a bit squirrily and locks up easy when I apply the rear brake.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I got about 11k from my stock Metzlers and probably could have gone another thousand without too much worry. I replaced them with new LaserTechs.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Stock Metzlers will last for five or six thousand miles if you're lazy about checking pressure or about 2 thousand more if you keep them aired up at or near max.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have always liked Metzler tires and particularly the ME 88 or ME 880 series. How many miles are on your current tires? Depending on where you are travelling, you could probably replace your tires at some point during your trip if you made plans with a dealer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have almost exactly 6,000 miles on my 2007 T100 now and the back tire needs to be changed now.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Teach,

A couple of years ago I went on a 3k trip and about a quarter way through I hit the wear bars on my front tire. I had a tough time finding another Metzler dealer.

So come the following year before I took my next trip I changed BOTH tires.

I always use Metzler's, I put a ME880 on the back this last time and I don't like it one bit. They slip and slide when the roads are dry,
whereas the Lazertec's stay put no matter what the condition of the road is.

Do yourself a favor and change both tires before you go, as well as the tubes and it's one last thing you have to worry about.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Teach,

A couple of years ago I went on a 3k trip and about a quarter way through I hit the wear bars on my front tire. I had a tough time finding another Metzler dealer.

So come the following year before I took my next trip I changed BOTH tires.

I always use Metzler's, I put a ME880 on the back this last time and I don't like it one bit. They slip and slide when the roads are dry,
whereas the Lazertec's stay put no matter what the condition of the road is.

Do yourself a favor and change both tires before you go, as well as the tubes and it's one last thing you have to worry about.

+1 on new shoes before you go. Scrub 'em in for a few hundred miles before the trip starts. You'll have more than a few things on your mind when you start off... You don't need to worry about tires.

Also, I brought tubes, a pump, & tar irons with me on my cross country trip. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming.

I'm planning on getting a new set of shoes in late May and I'll be packing a spare set of tubes. I imagine if I get flat, I'll get towed to someplace that can change out a tube, and I won't have to worry about them being out stock.

Any reason not to get Anakees for the trip. They seem reasonably priced and ready for rain. They also look really cool.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been down that road. I had the stock metzlers on my bike when I started a 6000 mile ride. The rear was brandy new, no worries there. However I was shure the front would not make the whole ride. So I made sure I knew where all the Triump dealers would be in the states I would be riding through. I'm talking Colorado Wyoming Montana lower Canada the to the west coast down to California and a more souther route back home. The problem was that the dealers had very unreliable stock of tires. Don't count on them even having the standard replacements.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would go with the 880's i have 9500 on the rear as opposed to 6700 lazertech and put a 880 on the front. The rear looks like it will go 12,000 and the front should go 24,000 instead of 11,700 and I have no problems with grip. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
interesting some have had issues with traction? Never had a problem with them on this one, or on my honda. When they are cold - be careful - once they warm up they're fine!

I had the stock metzlers lock up real easy after about 5000 miles on them - swapped them out at 6000 on the tires. Might have gone longer - the front was real low on tread - and after 3500 miles of wear, started to give a bit of head shake when decelerating - right around 50mph. New tires = smooth as can be! (Yes, the front is straight and the wheel balanced - I do all this myself - it's the wear pattern with that lasertec - won't be buying them again because of that).

interesting to note - the ME880 rear tire will give you a different ride height - both tires are now almost touching with the centerstand up - before, there was more clearance when up.... although, now it's easier to get on the center stand. The rear tire is bigger than the stock one.... also is worth a few more degrees of tilt on the side stand (just a FYI - might freak you out the first time you put it on the side stand - tilts a littler farther than you are used to...).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll be putting on at least 6,000 miles this summer and I'm wondering if I should replace my tires prior to my trip.

Any suggestions on what I should put on for my summer journey?

Much thanks.
Hi there. I'll start by saying that I've driven maybe 200,000km over the years on various Dunlop, Bridgestone, Cheng Shin and other tires and most were pretty good. The worst handling tires I've ever driven on were the stock Metzlers on my last-year-new 07 Bonneville. That first season with my new Bonny ut 14500km on in as much as 25% rain....about 1/3 touring on all kinds of roads, with the usual hazards of fresh pavement, chip-seal, dirt, gravel and stuff like wet steel grate and other bridges etc., and at 10,000km changed out those Metzlers which would have worn another 2k at least if I had let 'em. That stock combo with the radial rear and bias front is a non-recommended combo in any book on tire fitment and I found the bike pushed (understeered) a little, all the time - not the kind of ride that inspired confidence. I put on Avon AM26 roadriders and struck out 1300km on a trip that started in +2C temp and ended up with 500km in a solid downpour and could not believe how much a different and superior bike the Triumph became. They should be stock. That's my .02 worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts