Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took me stock thruxton to the track with mixed results.

She was overpowered in the straights but, did a lot better in the turns than anyone, there, expected. Those Metz tires stuck quite well once warmed up (buggered some, too). The quite pipes were excellent for sneaking up in the corners. There were a few issues with dragging/leaving parts on the track.

I drug the clutch shifter/gear changer and rear brake "pedal". Left the foot peg "nipples" on the track as the right one broke off in the bowl and the left was lost coming out of turn 3 :) Rearsets needed for sure! I even caught my boots, both sides, a couple of times.

Late braking was the key to my success. ... Like I had a choice. That stock brake heated up bad and got quite soft. The brake issues caused me to let up a little in the last couple laps.

Dragging the pipes was expected but they kept off the track. Running with maxed rear suspension and the front relatively soft made for a forgiving bike on the track. Excellent for beginners ?

As partially indicated in the pictures below, I found it odd how the large tank shoved my outer leg outward when I dug into turns. I try to press that outer leg on the tank when I hang off but, it's hard to get a full knee against it. Think more thigh than knee. Part of this is skill and learning the bike. The pictures coming out of the last turn don't really show a good hang off the bike...

A, recently purchased, steering damper would have made for a more comfortable ride but, didn't get it mounted in time. The clutch is upgraded which made a huge difference.

She was de-glassed that shedded some pounds. She feels more comfortable without all that extra weight.

Streets of Willow 1

Streets of Willow 2

Streets of Willow 3

Summation? I love her! Daily, track, sitting in me garage. She's perfect!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am surprised you are happy with the results. I love my thruxton but I am really disappointed in the power/speed of the bike. it is hard to keep up with most bikes on it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
"Tis better to be a fast rider on a slow bike, than a slow rider on a fast bike.":cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thrasman great write up. Glad to see you had fun at the track. The bike is alot of fun in stock form.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A very good write up. I agree, the feelers on the footpegs ground off my bike within the first few months I owned it from twistys. Forced me to adjust my feet until I got decent rearsets. And you can't beat the shocked looks from the 600's that cant lose you in a corner :D

Oh and as for your knees I can't keep them it tight either unless I slide up to the tank. For me I think its the seat is a little too wide

·
Registered
53 Posts
Truxton at the track.

Great write up about track day. I was thinking of taking mine too at soe point. I agree that the seat seems a little wide, I am still getting used to it. It seems to help for me (as a newbie) to get closer to the tank in the twisties.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I drug the clutch shifter/gear changer and rear brake "pedal". Left the foot peg "nipples" on the track as the right one broke off in the bowl and the left was lost coming out of turn 3 :) Rearsets needed for sure! I even caught my boots, both sides, a couple of times.
You know that's something I always wondered about with this bike. Just how low can you go on a stock machine. That about answers it! Thanks a million!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Great write up Nate, good to see you had fun and were able to ride the "sratchers" off of it!! Good on you!!!!!

It not about having the fastest bike on the track..... it's about having the fastest bike on the track, it's about working on your riding skills to use what your machine has to offer. Seems many focus way too much on the bike and not on the ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great write up and pics. I did my first three thrux cup races with a bone stock bike other than the avon race tires and predator slipons. Then I did a season with no rearsets but added ohlins and GMD front fork work. Then I did a season with rearsets and suspension work but my predators were dragging too much. This season I moved the predator mounts inboard a little and now I think I'm finally done!

One recommendation. If you havent mounted that dampener return it and get a front fork brace. In my experience with both, the best set upto get rid of front end wobble and or headshake is to only use the fork brace. Learned that from Jay Springsteen and Jim Callahan both Thruc Cup racers who had bad wobbles like myself before switching to that set up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah as someone who's about to buy a thrux in the next month or so (hopefully!) that was very informative...thanks for taking the time to write it up!

·
Registered
69 Posts
hard parts

Here's my track history.

Stock bike--exhaust can touches pretty solid, very bad, can lead to loss of rear wheel traction.

install predators--pegs drag

install aftermarket footpegs only--foot controls now drag

install rear sets (axeljax) -- now the Predators drag! but not anywhere near as often as the stock exhaust.

The exhaust system can be modified to increase clearance but it involves cutting and tapping. Haven't gone there yet but a buddy has and it solved the problem.

Dman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts