Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed back to the stock can, on my '05, from the "off-road" can.

I plan on getting down to the dealer, when the snow melts, and having the tune changed.

I was told that the "off-road" tune will not damage the bike while in the current configuration, but it will run rich.

Just wondering if the plugs will foul pretty bad on the 45 mile ride down to the dealer?

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi TiggerTwo,

Along with several others on the site, I run with the standard exhaust and aftermarket tune full time.

The bike seems to run considerably better than with the standard tune, which had to be butchered by Triumph to make the bike jump through emissions hoops for the DOT.

There were some posts on here (you should be able to find them if you do a search) where somebody took the time and trouble to run various configurations on a dyno to find out the truth, and I seem to remember that the totally stock setup actually fuelled dangerously lean at a couple of points.

After 8000 miles in my standard exhaust/aftermarket tune configuration, the plugs were still perfectly textbook condition when I changed them out.

In fact, if the stock setup is as lean as they say, you're probably more likely to damage the plugs in the stock setup through overheating!

[ This message was edited by: tcowjww on 2007-01-08 15:04 ]

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are looking to unload the Off Road pipe, let me know. I have been looking for one. I have a Blue Flame on my bike now, and it is not what I was looking for.

·
Registered
142 Posts
lemme get this right cos I don't know...

I have a wolf race can on me bike, if i leave it with the original tune will it break my engine or should i have it retuned.

I am always swapping between cans, my girlfriend like the stock as it is less noisy and cooler but I like the stock for solo periods...

does the tune make a difference to the health of the engine? :???:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am running 'off road' tune on my Tiger.
The tune is there for 7,000 miles and the bike is running much better than with stock tune.
Haven't checked plugs yet :)

I assume that 45miles to the dealer are no problem then.

Running stock tune with aftermarket exhaust is potentially dangerous as the engine may overheat as it will be very lean ...

[ This message was edited by: slayer on 2007-01-09 11:17 ]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Search for my post named; Dyno truth: race-cans and tunes. (or something like that)
I posted the dyno runs of full stock, stock can + tune, tune + offroad can.
In stock tune the engine is running way lean. With the offroad tune you'll have more power, less (almost none) surging and/or popping. And you'll have the same mpg, since the engine can run more efficiantly!
Bottom line - keep the offroad tune!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2007-01-08 12:34, garp wrote:
If you are looking to unload the Off Road pipe, let me know. I have been looking for one. I have a Blue Flame on my bike now, and it is not what I was looking for.
Not sure, what it's worth used?

·
Registered
121 Posts
On 2007-01-08 12:34, garp wrote:
And how much would you be wanting for said Blue Flame? Which one is it, etc?? :-D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ideally, I would like to trade the Blue Flame straight across for a used Triumph Off Road can, or a Staintune.

It is a Dual Outlet Stainless model as seen below.

If I sell it, I would be looking for $220 plus shipping, which is what I paid for it, otherwise I will put it on eBay and see what happens.

[ This message was edited by: garp on 2007-01-15 15:38 ]

·
Registered
121 Posts
What are your likes and dislikes about it? If you can't trade it, i'd probably be interested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Pipe sounds great, the only issue I have is the fit. Because it has a seperate mid-Pipe, and uses a strap to mount the muffler it takes a while to get everything lined up so that it is not too close to the fender, hard bag etc.

If you mount the pipe and leave it alone it isn't a problem, but I tend to switch between pipes so it is a hassle. With the Staintune and the TOR they are one piece pipes, so they line up more easily.

If you want it let me know. $220 plus shipping and it's yours.

·
Registered
121 Posts
On 2007-01-17 10:14, garp wrote:
The Pipe sounds great, the only issue I have is the fit. Because it has a seperate mid-Pipe, and uses a strap to mount the muffler it takes a while to get everything lined up so that it is not too close to the fender, hard bag etc.

If you mount the pipe and leave it alone it isn't a problem, but I tend to switch between pipes so it is a hassle. With the Staintune and the TOR they are one piece pipes, so they line up more easily.

If you want it let me know. $220 plus shipping and it's yours.
Gaah...the temptation...i don't like too-loud pipes, but the stock can is a little too quiet i feel.

Couple more questions. Is it me or is the bottom outlet on that can not actually open? I really don't know anything about Blue Flame, so excuse the ignorance.

Secondly, what kind of tune are you running with that, and what changes did you see in performance.

Last question...any weight savings?

Don't mean to be a pain.
Cos

[ This message was edited by: Cos on 2007-01-17 11:10 ]

·
Registered
24 Posts
The pictures are of the pipe with both baffles in place. In this set up it is close to stock volume.

Both baffles are held in by C-Clips, and can be removed. The bottom one is a plug, and the top one is just a narrower outlet. You can remove one or both baffles, but with both out it is loud. For quite running I leave both in, othertimes I take the bottom plug out.

I had the off road tune loaded at the dealer, and it seems to run a little stronger, but my butt dyno is not too well calibrated :)

As to weight saving, it probably shaves off a few pounds, but I am not sure how many.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts