Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles can I expect out of the tires my 06 Sprint came with?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine came with 020s, which suit my needs just fine.

I'll be lucky to get 4,500 miles out of the back one. Most of my riding is commuting. Oh - and I do like to sample the power every now and then, too.

I'd love to have the opportunity to even out the wear a little - it is just very hard to find the time on a regular basis to do half-day rides to the twistier, quieter roads. Job, daughter etc.

I know that many people do not like the BT020s - I have always had them and rider conservatively so a) probably do not know any better and/or b) wouldn't do a stickier tyre justice.

Take care - BB

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I had the 020's stock and got great mileage from them. 10k to be exact and probably could have pushed the rear further, but the front was toast. Do yourself a favor and get a set of Avon's instead though. The Avon's are a MUCH better tire as compared to the 020's. They wear just as well, but will transform the handling of the bike! The 020's front tire cupped badly by 25% wear! They feel like you're riding through sand as compared to the Avon 45/46 model.

You should read the tire stickie at the top of the page for all your answers. They have ALL been asked before. And don't worry to much about any mileage claims posted by DaveM........he needs to change tires twice as fast as he needs to do oil changes! It must be that Australian asphalt or something! :-D

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-12-04 22:48 ]

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my 06 sprint back in June and have 6300mi. on it. Still have a little more to go. I will probably put new rubber on before next spring though. My came with Bridgestone Battlaxx. 020 I really haven't considered what if anything else I would change to. I don't have any complaints about these tires though.

Brian

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
There are much better tyres out there than the 020. There are a couple of write ups - DaveM being one (he's not known as the Michelin Man for no reason) - that will give you the low down.

I have just worn out BT 014's. Front and rear were worn out at the same time after 10K kilometres (6K miles).

They transformed the bike and only cupped right at the end.

·
Registered
144 Posts
:-D I got 6000 Klms out of my 020,s but most of my riding is two up
Not great mileage but i agree they are a pretty good tyre, I have pressed them very hard at times and have found them very predictable :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
RickyT,

Ok I think the milage question is answered :)

My opinion is that there are better tyres available on the market.

The 020 isn't bad it's just not as good as some other offerings.

The Metzeler Z6 which Don loves or the Avon Azaro which is Stlakid's favourite.

cheers,
Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I'm getting 9500Km out of Michelin Pilot Roads. I do a lot of commuting but also the occaisonal blat at a reasonable pace as the Blacktown and Wollongong RAT guys know :) so I think anything over 8500km on the rear is really great mileage for a sports/touring tyre. I'm really happy with the grip in the dry (not as good as sticky tyres in the wet).

That said I have a mate on an R1 who I had no trouble keeping up with until he moved to the pilot powers from a sport/touring tyre. The fact he's only 72kg means he also gets nearly 10000K out of them to my 9000 on the harder tyre. The increased grip and confidence has added at least 10kmh to his corner speed. Now I can only pace him when I'm feeling in the "zone" at other times, he's at least 5mkh per corner faster than me.

The front is up to 17000Km and is also a Pilot Road. The bike goes in for a Road rear and Power front next Tues. I don't expect to get 17000 out of a Pilot Power but do expect it to match the rear for somewhere between 8500-9500km. 3 sets of tyres a year means I'm paying slightly over $30 a week for tyres. That's more than I pay for fuel :)

Russ

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I got 5500 miles out of my 020s.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have a Pilot Power on the rear and at 6000 km its gone,very sticky though.Going to replace it with a Pilot Sport cause $270 every 6 months is a bit expensive.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
On 2006-12-06 15:25, LoVel wrote:
I got 5500 miles out of my 020s.
Son , if you quit doing those smoky burnouts in my driveway your tires would last a lot longer-Dad (HiVel)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the Bridge***** 057's that came on my '03 ST and can't wait to replace them. They are close to being toast, with 6,200 mi. I am replacing them with Metzler Z6's, which are a HUGE improvement. I did the same with my previous '03 Sprint, before it was wrecked when I hit a deer this past June.

Anyway, in addition to riding style ROAD TYPE plays a big role in how fast your tires will wear. Some parts of the country have roads that are much "grippier" = short tire life. Others have much "slicker" roads. A long time ago I found a map of the US that showed average car tire mileage by state, and it was clear that road surface type played a role in total mileage before wearout. It is funny to hear people try to compare tire life when you have one person in OZ who rides like hell two up vs. a new cautious rider who weighs 150 lbs, and lives in an area with "slicker" roads.

YMMV!

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
On 2006-12-07 14:18, cricket1 wrote:
I have the Bridge***** 057's that came on my '03 ST and can't wait to replace them. They are close to being toast, with 6,200 mi. I am replacing them with Metzler Z6's, which are a HUGE improvement. I did the same with my previous '03 Sprint, before it was wrecked when I hit a deer this past June.

Anyway, in addition to riding style ROAD TYPE plays a big role in how fast your tires will wear. Some parts of the country have roads that are much "grippier" = short tire life. Others have much "slicker" roads. A long time ago I found a map of the US that showed average car tire mileage by state, and it was clear that road surface type played a role in total mileage before wearout. It is funny to hear people try to compare tire life when you have one person in OZ who rides like hell two up vs. a new cautious rider who weighs 150 lbs, and lives in an area with "slicker" roads.

YMMV!
Very true, I have said this before, lots of factors effect tyre longevity, road surface and also temperature are just two of them.

Davem :cool:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ricky mate,
I got 8000 km on my stock rear, and 18,000 km from the rear Pilot Road on my Daytona, which I have just swapped over to my Sprint. Hopefully I'll get a few more kms from it, and seeing there is still plenty of meat left I think I will.

Cya and safe riding The Tankman.

:chug: :chug: :chug:

P

·
0 Posts
I got 10,000km out of the 020s, and would certainly have got a lot more if I hadn't got sick of the lousy handling. They had hardly any visible signs of wear when I changed them. The Bridgestone 020s certainly lasted well, but mainly because I didn't trust them enough to ride the bike to anything near its limits.

I'm using Michelin Pilot Powers now, which I don't suppose will last nearly as long, but the change was well worth it.

·
Read Only
153 Posts
My two cents... as per the Hoops etc section, I have tried a variety of tyres over the 60,000km I've had the Sprint and so far there two stand out tyres. 1. Metzeler Z6 - has longevity, handling right to the end of tyre life, wet weather grip. 2. Avon Azaro ST 45/46 - still using my first set of these but as long as the longevity is there these would be my favourites. Everything that the Z6s do but with better handling, quicker turn in, and that all important tread pattern across the centre of the tyre to assist getting across wet paddocks (seriously!)

Rod

1 - 18 of 18 Posts