Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following Ralphus' fine lead, I finished my winter project of building the better boat anchor. The stock silencer was totally gutted and new stainless plumbing was installed. I asked the metal man to keep the same diameter pipe and to keep the pipe as straight as possible. I think I'll call this a Ralphusrectomy.

Here's a view of the new insulated metal liner and the short sleeves connecting the rolled perfed metal.

Another view showing where the tube had to be flattened a bit to deal with the rear tire indentation on the bottom shell.

The business end! Note that the two small stock outlets are capped.

Here's the silencer all nicely bundled up and ready to be sealed shut. The fibre pack is the special ceramic fibre used to insulate kilns and factory flues. It is good for 2300*F. So unless I have a serious carbon problem, this pack should last for a very long time.

The metal man welded the top shut and then ground the welds flat. He even repainted it for me with heat proof paint. Apart from the larger centre pipe it looks stock.

Now it's time to sit and wait for the snow to melt. Then I get to break in my new engine and then finally to play with the new silencer. I plan to break in the engine with the TOR tune and then later install a custom tune for this exhaust. Some very gracious members of this forum are helping me on this front. Thank you!

BTW my engine rebuild is delayed a bit longer. The mechanic found one of the new cylinder sleeves was out of spec and sent it back to Triumph. I really like his attitude "If it isn't perfect, then it's not worth my time to do it".

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nice work Tripple Ripple:welldone:

This should work a treat with the TOR tune. You'll be surprised how quiet the muffler is going to be with all of that packing in it.

Mine runs beautifully especially now that I have fitted a new air filter with the OND mod. I got almost 400km out of tank after giving it a real good flogging on Sunday. More torque everywhere and good fuel economy.:)

My mate the SilverStreak is in the process of cutting up his can to do this mod.

Looks like I have started a trend!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ralphus a quick query. With the OND filter mod have you modified the intake snorkel at all? Looks enticing to cut it back and open that area up a bit. Not sure of the downside here though.
Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JT:

First step is to drill out the tack welds that hold the internal braces to the shell. Then cut out the top with a thin blade on an angle grinder. The fellow who did it for me advised that since it is all stainless you have to maintain a constant speed to the cutting so as to avoid discolouring the metal from the friction and introduce a future weak spot. The weld is also stainless. I opted to let him use his tools and expertise as I have very limited experience working with metal.

If you are serious about doing this, I can give you his coordinates as he is amenable to doing it again. You will have to worry about all the logisitics and hassles of sending the unit to Ottawa.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ralphus a quick query. With the OND filter mod have you modified the intake snorkel at all? Looks enticing to cut it back and open that area up a bit. Not sure of the downside here though.
Cheers, Simmo
Simmo

I haven't modified the snorkel. I think Triumph have actually designed it to build up the crud in one particular area so the rest of the filter remains reasonably clean over the filter life.

If you want to play around with the snorkel, the bit I would address is the lump that sticks up around the radiator top mount. This is not helping air flow at all.;)

Ralphus

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Let's hear a sound clip on that bad boy!
If Ralphus doesn't have one then you will need to have a lot of patience. There's a few things I need to get done right before I can think about making a clip.

On your question of the split, I don't think it will give you any noticeable change in performance. It will certainly drive the cost up into an area where an aftermarket solution is the faster and easier way to go. If it is sound you're after, Ralphus had a few design sketches in an earlier thread that will definitely satisfy that urge :)

Do loud pipes really save lives as some HD riders brag?

·
Registered
764 Posts
ralphus, would there be any benefit in running 3 pipes out, instead 1?
The best pipe in my opinion is the one with least bends, restrictions and changes in section.

Your concept has changes in section that create eddies and impact on flow.

If you want three outlets I would run with the large centre pipe and two smaller pipes branching off that similar to an IXIL.

Here is that link with the concepts on it http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/99572-boat-anchor-construction-tips.html

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fellow I used does specialized metal work on cars and trucks i.e. building custom hot rods. He used to race and is very knowledgeable about different types of metal fab. You may wish to find such a person in your area as well. I prefer to give my business to a local person as opposed to a franchise or a chain -- has a much more positive impact on the local economy :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He said he would do another for $350 - $400 plus tax. This does not include shipping to and fro. I don't know if this includes sourcing the stainless steel and the fibre pack. I got the perforated steel from a specialty metal fabricator as an end for $10 and the ceramic fibre (6 1/2 square feet) was around $40. Total time to manufacture was about a week. And I waited a while for a break to appear between big jobs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts