Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, can the stock Thruxton R bars be adjusted "rotated out some for a straighter feel" and does anyone know the pinch bolt torque spec? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The small bolt can of course be removed and the bars then loosened and rotated.
The std torque for an 8mm bolt is 15 lb/ft

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
When I replaced my stock handlebar risers for the low ones, I found those bolts really hard to get at. I ended up removing the big nut off the top clamp, loosening the pinch bolts of the risers and the top clamp from the fork tubes and lifted all three pieces off the tubes at the same time. Then I could flip it all upside down and separate the risers from the top clamp (or in your case remove the bolts so you can swing the risers fore and aft).

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Next question, has anybody done this?

I've thought about it. The stock position of the clip ons feels perfect to me for cornering - which I suppose is the whole point - but I've thought if the bars could be positioned 1/4 " out, you wouldn't lose much in sport and would gain much in comfort. I miss how comfortable my wrists were with Superbars for all those times when you're not cornering.

When I talked to the tech about it he mentioned the screw and said you could remove it and rotate the bars but they were designed to be fixed so it would be a bit of a trust exercise in relying on the pinch bolts to keep the bars in place.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Next question, has anybody done this?

I've thought about it. The stock position of the clip ons feels perfect to me for cornering - which I suppose is the whole point - but I've thought if the bars could be positioned 1/4 " out, you wouldn't lose much in sport and would gain much in comfort. I miss how comfortable my wrists were with Superbars for all those times when you're not cornering.

When I talked to the tech about it he mentioned the screw and said you could remove it and rotate the bars but they were designed to be fixed so it would be a bit of a trust exercise in relying on the pinch bolts to keep the bars in place.
I've had some personal fights with those very hard to get at set bolts/ screws when going back to orig clipons from the lower ones that come with the cafe fairing kit. When the dealer fixed the setup someone used Allen bolts which were a big PITA to remove and replace. We did the same knuckle busting exercise to a buddies TTR and those positioning bolts were nice socket heads. To answer the OP, the positioning bolts are there for a reason. I wouldn't leave them out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I loosened the locating bolts in order to move the bars down 5mm to clear the fairing.
I did replace them and used small spacers.
I've used clip ons on other bikes relying only on the clamping bolts without problems

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice idea, because those bolts are very hard to get to. I'm considering putting the stock risers back on, as I've got a trapped nerve in my neck at the moment and the low ones are causing pain. If I do, I'll try this trick. It might make it easier.

When I replaced my stock handlebar risers for the low ones, I found those bolts really hard to get at. I ended up removing the big nut off the top clamp, loosening the pinch bolts of the risers and the top clamp from the fork tubes and lifted all three pieces off the tubes at the same time. Then I could flip it all upside down and separate the risers from the top clamp (or in your case remove the bolts so you can swing the risers fore and aft).

·
Registered
813 Posts
:frown2:
Nice idea, because those bolts are very hard to get to. I'm considering putting the stock risers back on, as I've got a trapped nerve in my neck at the moment and the low ones are causing pain. If I do, I'll try this trick. It might make it easier.
I did just that after 8 months with the lower ones that came on with the cafe fairing kit. With the help from a friend it took about 2 hours. With the stock bars it's a much more neutral riding position. All day ride now is great with higher position. If you do it have a buddy standing by to hold the forks whilst you sitting on the bike to line up the forks into the bar mounts and triple tree holes. You will have to fiddle around with stuff like brake line and other bar controls so that nothing is rubbing. I am much happier with stock bars. :smile2:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I never regretted going to the lower bars. I found them more comfortable as the position is much more forward as well as lower so it encouraged more weight on my behind. I also think they look much better.

That might be just me though.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I never regretted going to the lower bars. I found them more comfortable as the position is much more forward as well as lower so it encouraged more weight on my behind. I also think they look much better.
That might be just me though.
Sippin' coffee at the Best Motorcycle Dealership in the world* during my 500 mile service, I was struck by how very cool the slightly older 900 Thruxtons looked with their proper cafe-style low clip-ons... I was already suffering shoulder pain from position change of my new TxR from the Street Triple I had traded in, and thought, I'm probably going to mount some high-bars to alleviate my pain, but until I figure that out, I might as well look extra cool while I'm suffering. I spun the 'Customer Appreciation Discount Wheel' and landed the low-bar kit for 30% off and never looked back - Maybe because I'm freakishly short, but whatever... I've never had a more comfortable ride (OK, my wife's Japanese cruiser was very comfy, but I had a hard time being seen on it ; -) Two inches lower and all my troubles vanished. Not to mention... full-on proper cafe.
*Cascade Moto Classics, Beaverton Oregon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts