Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Stock Muffler cut open for research... Two cats cause the ass fires..

5K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  ventur4th 
#1 ·
Only bottom part of can removed...

BTW All these are clickable thumbnails.. Just click for a big version!

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-11 22:20 ]

See less See more
#4 ·
Detail shots of cat pipes and the oval pipe.

Exhaust flows out the cats in parallel and makes a u turn.

It then passes under the oval pipe and makes another U turn at the backside of the front most bulkhead. It flows thru the oval pipe to the last chamber with the three outlet pipes in it.

#8 ·
Conclusion.

The stock muffler is a restrictive heavy pig that cooks your ass because they put a catalytic converter pretty much under each cheek of your bloody bum...

It is built pretty sturdy.. I drlled out a few spot welds, ground it to thin the seam weld (perimeter of halves) then split it with a air hammer bit that I tweaked to match the shape of the seam and to split it just right...

I also just cut across the back 1/8th or so that I did not need to cut around each outlet pipe..

I have plans now as how to alter things inside to create awesome flow, lighter weight, better sound and alot less heat...

Catalytic conveters get hot and stay hot... In fact the hotter they are (unless melting hot) the better they work... The need to go... The OEM should have put the cat converters at or past the collector not under the seat in the muffler

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-11 22:23 ]

#9 ·
MNSprintST:

Excellent and very educational job. Thanks so much for sharing all your good work with us. I KNEW my poor ass was being cooked by those converters.

I just bought the TOR off an Ebay auction and I trust all the cats have been removed from the TOR model.

Anybody know for sure?

#10 ·
There are no cats in the OR pipe.

I'm not being cocky but I think my tricks will out flow a OR pipe.

If anyone in the MN area has one unmounted I'd like them to meet me at the flowbench. This way I can flow test a stock, my modded and a off road to have a accurate test of all of them.

#12 ·
On 2006-11-11 22:06, MNSpintST wrote:
The OEM should have put the cat converters at or past the collector not under the seat in the muffler
Ahhh, your next dissection project.
You will find a precat in the header assembly downstream of the O2 sensor and upstream of the upward bend and flange. You can see the welds that hold it in the tube.

I believe the NZ/AUS machines have no cats.

#13 ·
First off..

I have a stock I can flowbench... Its still on the bike..

Ahhh, your next dissection project.
You will find a precat in the header assembly downstream of the O2 sensor and upstream of the upward bend and flange. You can see the welds that hold it in the tube.

Hmm...

Time to get a collector and collector to muffler pipe from a bike salvage place.

Mostly to get the fitment right for my own collector and up pipe.

A bigger inlet is going on the muffler, bigger outlets and a better collector w/o the precat...

#14 ·
To my knowledge they are the same. When I was buying my new Sprint I quizzed the dealer on this very subject, he said they had 3 cats, 1 in the header and two in the muffler. This is one of the main reasons I had an after market muffler made up. *** do they they put cats on motorcycles anyhow? World has gone crazy on this greenie stuff. :???:

#17 ·
So you are going to modify your stocker to get it to flow better. I assume if you are sucessful, then you will have to remap the ECU? Can you make your own map...or are there only two maps available. One for the stock pipe, and one for the TOR pipe. I appreciate your work on this. I don't know diddly about such things.

#21 ·
Bikes with cats smell better. IMHO the very minor drop in horsepower for having cats is worth the cleaner air and less stink. Unless you are putting the bike on the track what difference does it really make if you are running 115 hp or 117?

I know this won't be a popular opinion.

-3MP

#22 ·
Actually done right you can make as much HP with a cat. Just not with the stock configuration.

If you search hot rod, car craft and other magazines you can find dyno tests of built engines where they were run with and without high flow race cats.. Sometimes its 2hp less and others 2hp more.. They have tuning effects just like anything else in the system and sometimes actually help over a simple pipe. The best race cats are like the best race mufflers and outflow a simple pipe length on a flow bench.

I dont mind cat converters except when they are restrictive and act as butt warmers.

Does this sound like a part you want under your arse..

Catalytic Converter Fire Hazzard

An important part of your vehicle’s emission system is the catalytic converter. It is tasked with reducing harmful emissions that pollute the atmosphere and it has been a part of nearly every passenger vehicle built since the mid 1970s. Unfortunately, the catalytic converter can also run very hot and, at the same time, spark ignition of anything that it comes into contact with. In Bob’s case, it was his 2005 Volvo that was parked directly over a small leaf pile that started the fire that destroyed his XC90.
[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-14 18:46 ]

#23 ·
On 2006-11-12 14:52, MickSprint06 wrote:
To my knowledge they are the same. When I was buying my new Sprint I quizzed the dealer on this very subject, he said they had 3 cats, 1 in the header and two in the muffler. This is one of the main reasons I had an after market muffler made up. *** do they they put cats on motorcycles anyhow? World has gone crazy on this greenie stuff. :???:
I wonder if your dealer really knows. Bikebandit.com shows different cat ans non cat P/N's for the header and muffler. The non cat parts are described as being intended for Aus, NZ markets.

Question for any willing Aus member...
Could you check with your dealer for the Triumph P/N of your header and muffler. I will do the same stateside.

#24 ·
There is a cat in the headedr? That might add a little heat.
I feel most of the heat by my right heal. I thought the heat was maid bad from the bend as it goes up to the muffler. If there is a cat in the header, that would add a lot of heat before the muffler. I wonder if the first cat is used to increase the exhaust heat for the second cat." Preheating."

Anyways......... it is nice on the cold days.

#25 ·
Excellent photo's. How are you progressing as I'm going to modify mine. I've already drilled 22mm holes thru the external pipes,(mainly for the noise)but after looking at your photos I think I could get some serious flow thru. Maybe set it up like some free flow Lukey's. Previously I set up a single Carbon fibre Termignomi from my Duke up under the seat and it sounded awesome but you could tell the engine mapping was rough due to the excessive black smoke and the crackle back, but throttle response was brilliant and the sound. Sorry already mentioned the sound didn't I. Anyway keep us all posted on your results.

G
#26 ·
I'll apologize in advance if this question is too newb.....

I'm down with trashing the stock can. No issues there.
Question is this:
1. Are there any fabricators out there actually selling a full exhaust SYSTEM, header on back?
2. Does axing the PRECAT in the header pipe help reduce the heat near the right side also??
3.I'm more interested in reducing the heat on the right side, than I am in gaining 2hp. If this helps, I'm doing it.

Interesting point brought up about the cats cleaning-up some of the emission STANK. I have to agree with this...my previous bikes with straight-thru race pipes were ***** STINKY! And riding behind my buddies with similar exhausts for extended periods LITERALLY gave me a sore throat and a noticable cough at the end of the day. COincidence? I think not!

It's all about personal preference!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.